Solar Panels On Council Houses

51 minutes ago, catmiss said:

To get back on topic. I worked in social housing maintenance for several years and the repairs/upgrade budget was eroded by the condition properties were left in when tenants left and or damage caused during tenancies which had to be repaired for H & S reasons. Although financial charges were applied to tenants the prospect of recovery was minimal which impacted on the budget for improvements outside legislative upgrades

But none of that is about solar panels on council houses though.....

Edited by Dromedary

20 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Agreed ,then pay back when property is sold at a profit . The same as people should do when selling ex council houses 

Yes agreed. Nothing wrong with that idea.

You could blow me down with a feather, todays Star is running a story page 5 on fitting solar panels to Council property .

I am sure they get leads on these pages .

53 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

You could blow me down with a feather, todays Star is running a story page 5 on fitting solar panels to Council property .

Are they funded by the Mayor?

Newspapers in touch with and reading what the local are saying, sounds like a good idea. Maybe there are some Westminster spys here too.

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Sadly I can't find anything on their online site only something about the Dutch scheme.  Any chance of you basically summing it up at all?

Did notice this bit though about the district heating hike.

"The council operated scheme which supplies heating and hot water to almost 6,000 homes will see unit charges rise from 3.04 pence to 5.69 pence and the standing charge from £4.80 to £4.90."

3 hours ago, Dromedary said:

Sadly I can't find anything on their online site only something about the Dutch scheme.  Any chance of you basically summing it up at all?

Did notice this bit though about the district heating hike.

"The council operated scheme which supplies heating and hot water to almost 6,000 homes will see unit charges rise from 3.04 pence to 5.69 pence and the standing charge from £4.80 to £4.90."

Page 5 councillor Doug Johnson states  Whole new roof and wall insulation complete with solar panels to council houses  . The Star is 95 pence if you can't find it on line .

42 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Page 5 councillor Doug Johnson states  Whole new roof and wall insulation complete with solar panels to council houses  . The Star is 95 pence if you can't find it on line .

Thats OK as that was the one I was also quoting from.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/dutch-scheme-could-make-sheffields-council-homes-more-energy-efficient-3535128

To be honest I can see how he would think it would stack up financially for the householder and the Council especially as it would be very expensive to do and not all would benefit anyway. Solar panels are only really efficient when they are facing South, they are also no good on flat roofs either. It would be interesting to do a survey of Sheffield Council homes and see just what percentage would qualify for solar. Another point is that it would not be fair on those who didn't qualify to be disadvantaged by not being able to have them.

25 minutes ago, Dromedary said:

Thats OK as that was the one I was also quoting from.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/politics/dutch-scheme-could-make-sheffields-council-homes-more-energy-efficient-3535128

To be honest I can see how he would think it would stack up financially for the householder and the Council especially as it would be very expensive to do and not all would benefit anyway. Solar panels are only really efficient when they are facing South, they are also no good on flat roofs either. It would be interesting to do a survey of Sheffield Council homes and see just what percentage would qualify for solar. Another point is that it would not be fair on those who didn't qualify to be disadvantaged by not being able to have them.

You don't like the idea  then . Oh well we could all share the benifits  towards the global warming problem . The greens say it would create jobs Sheffield and the council would save money on roof maintenance . Perhaps we are all wrong .

5 hours ago, cuttsie said:

You don't like the idea  then . Oh well we could all share the benifits  towards the global warming problem . The greens say it would create jobs Sheffield and the council would save money on roof maintenance . Perhaps we are all wrong .

It's not so much that I don't like the idea but the practicalities in bringing it to fruition. What is proposed sounds a good idea at first but as said has any survey been done on the Council stock to see how many would benefit from it, and there is also no details as to how all of this would be funded. The council homes account  is self funding so any improvements etc would normally come from the rent account budget and any surplus it generates, or loans just like it is now regarding any improvements etc.

It's all well and good for a so called green councillor to travel to various cities in Europe at taxpayers expense, creating a carbon footprint in doing so just to tell us what we basically already know,  and what will happen and that is nothing. It's just a PR exercise for the Greens. Remember Julie Dore and her cohorts travelling to China to get deals from them costing the taxpayer over £30,000 and then claiming it a success. Basically it just turned out to be a holiday as it all then collapsed and nothing happened.

Nothing wrong with innovation but what is wrong is they way it is never thought through first and SCC (amongst others) have a record of screwing things up.  Tell us how it would be funded, tell us how many would benefit or be eligible, tell us how much it may save and that would be a genuine starting point.  Its simple business planning.

If no one does nowt, nowt gets done and we will never know.