Solar Panels On Council Houses

Why is Sheffield council not fitting solar panels to its social housing , Government grants are available so why not go ahead as the price of energy is now leading to people not being able to heat their homes .

So come on Terry Fox our leader lets be knowing . or should we ask our top executive Kate Josephs who seems to spend a lot of time at Downing Street .

Edited by cuttsie

The council can't afford to fix a few pot holes & keep the drains clear. How are they going to afford thousands of solar panels, inverters etc ?

I suppose any help from any place is always welcome. The main issue is the Gas. I've started using my electric fire instead of the gas fire. With the gas fire a lot of the heat goes up the chimney too.

54 minutes ago, dan2802 said:

The council can't afford to fix a few pot holes & keep the drains clear. How are they going to afford thousands of solar panels, inverters etc ?

Well they have loads of money for daft schemes such as rainbow crossings and pulling markets down then building new ones on borrowed money that are  going to take 50 years to repay so where is the logic , The citizens or daft enterprises /.

Ah, so this was just another excuse to crowbar the closure of Castle Market in. Cuttsie is as Cuttsie does.

they are re-roofing all council houses,but what amazes me , if theres a semi detached and they think one needs doing now and next canwait as its a 6 year programe,there saying they will come back to those later,now if they are going to do solar panels,why not fit them at the same time and take what the goverment are offering,we have a labour/green party in charge.

3 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Why is Sheffield council not fitting solar panels to its social housing , Government grants are available so why not go ahead as the price of energy is now leading to people not being able to heat their homes .

So come on Terry Fox our leader lets be knowing . or should we ask our top executive Kate Josephs who seems to spend a lot of time at Downing Street .

You must be daft if you think that if SCC installed solar panels on council properties then it would make electricity cheaper for its tenants.

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

they are re-roofing all council houses,but what amazes me , if theres a semi detached and they think one needs doing now and next canwait as its a 6 year programe,there saying they will come back to those later,now if they are going to do solar panels,why not fit them at the same time and take what the goverment are offering,we have a labour/green party in charge.

I dont know any roofers that are qualified electrians or qualified to install solar panels. You would be complaining if they fitted solar panels before they fitted a new roof.

On the face of it they seem an excellent idea and perhaps they are, but I would want to know how long they last (efficiency), could they be easily replaced if one breaks/goes faulty in 5/10 years time, and how much extra will the insurance (Council) be?

Edited by carosio

1 hour ago, El Cid said:

I dont know any roofers that are qualified electrians or qualified to install solar panels. You would be complaining if they fitted solar panels before they fitted a new roof.

????

13 hours ago, carosio said:

On the face of it they seem an excellent idea and perhaps they are, but I would want to know how long they last (efficiency), could they be easily replaced if one breaks/goes faulty in 5/10 years time, and how much extra will the insurance (Council) be?

We've had ours for about ten years now, they're just as efficient now as they were when they were installed. Can't see a problem with replacing one if needed, as long as the dimensions are the same. 

Of course the reason these aren't being retrofitted to council homes is because the council has no money, and has been teetering on the edge of bankruptcy for years, which is entirely due to Tory and LibDem governments cutting over half their funding. Grant schemes are for homeowners as far as I'm aware, not councils, and the government totally botched the last green homes grant scheme anyway, because they are useless.

A 3kw solar panel system with inverter will cost at least £5K to install with a 20 year plan to break even.

It should half most consumer electric bills.

Domestic appliances are much more efficient than they used to be with large current appliance mainly in the Kitchen and an electric shower if fitted.

New homes could be designed to run a 12V or 5V circuit although some people say a 24V system is more efficient. 

A new low voltage  domestic circuit could cut production costs of USB step down transformers for mains sockets.