Uk Economy 2022

4 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

My bank card is magic, I just present it all or place , no problem , even chip shop takes it , don't understand how it all works but who cares .

I have to replace my card every few months because it gets so worn out

The only money have have is a bowl of pound coins to tip take away delivery drivers 

3 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

My bank card is magic, I just present it all or place , no problem , even chip shop takes it , don't understand how it all works but who cares .

As I said, real money is going out of fashion, helped by the pandemic. 

But beware. Real money is our last freedom. 

Give the power to the bank's computers and it totally controls a precious resource.

What happens when computer says 'no'

The government are currently discussing bringing in its own crypto-currency. 

15 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Very rare I use mine Cuttsie, I'm a bit old fashioned, I like cash.

I get money out of the cash machine, then go and spend it..

If I haven't got at least a ton in my hip pocket, I feel undressed.

2 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I have to replace my card every few months because it gets so worn out

The only money have have is a bowl of pound coins to tip take away delivery drivers 

I recently lost my credit/debit cards. (The bank acted swiftly to cancel and replace them. Thanks)

However a week without them was an eye opener. It is virtually impossible to manage without them. 

Fortunately I had a bit of cash in the house and was able to borrow some from family for a business trip.

A hotel I stay at regularly only takes on line bookings using a credit card, so had to find somewhwere that would accept cash, at a price I had budgeted for.  

Car parking at new holel was pay by credit card, so had to park elsewhere, and hump luggage a distance. 

A Restaurant for food also were reluctant to accept cash,  

And various other constant inconveniences without cards. 

I had to count every penny to make sure I didn't run out of cash, (which was no bad thing, and made me realise how free I am with debit card.) 

An interesting and salutary experience. Try it sometime.

2 minutes ago, Padders said:

Very rare I use mine Cuttsie, I'm a bit old fashioned, I like cash.

I get money out of the cash machine, then go and spend it..

If I haven't got at least a ton in my hip pocket, I feel undressed.

But I bet you use a card to access cash machine. What would you do without it?

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

I recently lost my credit/debit cards. (The bank acted swiftly to cancel and replace them. Thanks)

However a week without them was an eye opener. It is virtually impossible to manage without them. 

Fortunately I had a bit of cash in the house and was able to borrow some from family for a business trip.

A hotel I stay at regularly only takes on line bookings using a credit card, so had to find somewhwere that would accept cash, at a price I had budgeted for.  

Car parking at new holel was pay by credit card, so had to park elsewhere, and hump luggage a distance. 

A Restaurant for food also were reluctant to accept cash,  

And various other constant inconveniences without cards. 

I had to count every penny to make sure I didn't run out of cash, (which was no bad thing, and made me realise how free I am with debit card.) 

An interesting and salutary experience. Try it sometime.

I have my card linked to Google Pay so i can pay using my phone

I never use it but its a good backup

An excellent piece about Sociology and Economics on 'Thinking allowed' Radio 4 at 4.0pm.

Clear, and relatively easy to follow it will be available on iplayer or a pod cast i'm sure.

I think we should all try to have a grasp of these subjects if we don't want to be duped by the politicians, so it's important to educate yourself about what is actually going on, or they will sell you any version to suit their own agenda..

Edited by Anna B

5 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I have my card linked to Google Pay so i can pay using my phone

I never use it but its a good backup

I'll look into that. It sounds like a good idea. But what safeguards are there if you lose your phone?

(I seem to lose things a lot...)

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I'll look into that. It sounds like a good idea. But what safeguards are there if you lose your phone?

(I seem to lose things a lot...)

The phone security and also you can use a password before making payments

No different than using a card

Inflation now rising to 7%

Goodbye to your savings if you have any,

And God help you if you don't...

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Inflation now rising to 7%

Goodbye to your savings if you have any,

And God help you if you don't...

Thanks to all the idiots who supported lockdowns 

This is what happens when you shut down an economy for 2 years while borrowing £500bn

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

Thanks to all the idiots who supported lockdowns 

This is what happens when you shut down an economy for 2 years while borrowing £500bn

It's not all about lockdown.

We are still suffering from the 2008 crash which was a direct result of Neoliberalism, and the 'Free Market Economy' which had gone into overdrive and is still with us, just more so. 

Thanks to deregulation of the banking industry and consequently some very dodgy (some would say fraudulent) dealings, they were able to make fortunes, millions of which passed into the hands of the already super rich. (taxes are only for the little people, and make no mistake, the UK is one of the most noted tax havens in the world.) 

The bankers got off scott free having made their millions, and continue to do so, and everyone else was left to pay the price, especially the poorest.

Add in the pandemic (which also made the rich richer,) and there are now more poor people than ever, and many more on the cusp of falling into poverty, as it creeps ever higher up the social scale. But the rich and powerful 1% sale on into ever greater riches so why worry as long as they're alright, and they make the rules don't they to keep it that way.

Just befuddle the public with endless propaganda and bullsh** to keep them in the dark and they won't cotton on. They're a bit thick after all.  

What's happening is no surprise at all. It's been predicted. I've been saying it for the last 10 years, and one of the reasons I was such a fan of Corbyn, who had it all sussed and was ready to do something about it. But he went the way of anyone who gets in the way of the super rich big boys, so we're left with neoliberal Starmer, who like Blair is on their money making pay roll. 

Well as long as Boris can afford his wallpaper who cares...?

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Well as long as Boris can afford his wallpaper who cares...?

I think its a disgrace that our Prime Minister's live in a flat about their office

Our leaders should have something more regal thats a bit more functional

We should use one of the Queens properties......Kensington Palace would be perfect

kensington-palace.jpg

Edited by Jack Grey