Sheffield City Centre - The Future

14 hours ago, Bilge said:

I don't see a problem with the buildings in that picture.

The church has been retained despite there being little demand for churches these days (I think this one is still functioning, but with the Art House as a kind of add-on annexe thing). Other buildings have grown up around it. What's the problem? The city centre is full of such juxtapositions. That's one of the reasons it's interesting.

A trip to specsavers (or Barnard Castle) would show that it has been built out of modern red brick to the usual cardboard box design.

A nicer material and shape, suggesting age would not have stood out like a sore thumb.

I don't know why anyone even mentions planning in this country when all modern building are more akin to Lego designs than those which were built when this country had some class and common sense. 

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

A trip to specsavers (or Barnard Castle) would show that it has been built out of modern red brick to the usual cardboard box design.

A nicer material and shape, suggesting age would not have stood out like a sore thumb.

I don't know why anyone even mentions planning in this country when all modern building are more akin to Lego designs than those which were built when this country had some class and common sense.

That's just your personal taste. I personally don't want a modern building to 'suggest age'.  I want it to look like a modern building. 

Renovations or conversions to existing structures are different, something like what's happening on Pinstone Street makes sense -  retaining of the Georgian facade will fit in with the new hotel.

However, when there is empty land surrounding some old building we cannot just sit there continually emulating the past just because people don't like change.

The building shown in the picture fits perfectly well as expected in any continually evolving City. It's hardly like it's gaudy bright pink or surrounded by neon lights.  Nor is it some site of prominent historical important must be fully preserved at all times. 

29 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

That's just your personal taste. I personally don't want a modern building to 'suggest age'.  I want it to look like a modern building. 

Renovations or conversions to existing structures are different, something like what's happening on Pinstone Street makes sense -  retaining of the Georgian facade will fit in with the new hotel.

However, when there is empty land surrounding some old building we cannot just sit there continually emulating the past just because people don't like change.

The building shown in the picture fits perfectly well as expected in any continually evolving City. It's hardly like it's gaudy bright pink or surrounded by neon lights.  Nor is it some site of prominent historical important must be fully preserved at all times. 

And that is simply your personal taste too.

A Legoland city centre may suit you fine but many others are more discerning.

The old building, by the way, is the Catholic Cathedral of Sheffield and there must be many who would be offended by your casual dismissal of it.

Its a good job the Church are  fast becoming an irrelevance in the modern world.

53 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

The old building, by the way, is the Catholic Cathedral of Sheffield and there must be many who would be offended by your casual dismissal of it.

Sorry, but if they are offended by my dismissal of a building that represents a controlling, backward, outdated (and let's face it often dubious) religious cult that is the Catholic church so be it.

Let's also not forget we are not talking about that building. That building is still there. It hasn't been pulled down, it hasn't been covered in vinyl, it hasn't been been blocked out from society it is still there.   

Your objection, and seemingly many of those for you claim may be offended, is anything being built near by a sacred Church which doesn't look exactly the same. Such a concept is totally preposterous in a city centre which like many others constantly evolves over time.  That, by the way, includes churches with many modern examples of church buildings  being  some real ugly monstrosities

I found it more offensive that some people still in this day and age think we are going to live like twee little peasant villages with nothing but the 'mighty' house of God showing any prominence.

Life moves on.

36 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Sorry, but if they are offended by my dismissal of a building that represents a controlling, backward, outdated (and let's face it often dubious) religious cult that is the Catholic church so be it.

Let's also not forget we are not talking about that building. That building is still there. It hasn't been pulled down, it hasn't been covered in vinyl, it hasn't been been blocked out from society it is still there.   

Your objection, and seemingly many of those for you claim may be offended, is anything being built near by a sacred Church which doesn't look exactly the same. Such a concept is totally preposterous in a city centre which like many others constantly evolves over time.  That, by the way, includes churches with many modern examples of church buildings  being  some real ugly monstrosities

I found it more offensive that some people still in this day and age think we are going to live like twee little peasant villages with nothing but the 'mighty' house of God showing any prominence.

Life moves on.

Hmmm... :huh:

With such a blinkered vision of what people should find 'acceptable'...

... one might be excused for thinking you work for the Council. :suspect:

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

No it's St Matthews C of E Church, Carver St.

Just now, Bilge said:

🤣🤣

So enraged he got the wrong building. Outstanding stuff.

3 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

The building shown in the picture fits perfectly well as expected in any continually evolving City. It's hardly like it's gaudy bright pink or surrounded by neon lights.

It might as well be "gaudy bright pink". They've made no effort at all to tone down the brick colour to something like that used in the Art House. But to have allowed them to build so close to the church that it's virtually attached is what I find unforgivable.

Of course I've no idea who that other building belongs to. It may actually belong to the church, in which case I'll end up eating some humble pie.

When I was in my teens I loved Sheffield CC with all it’s backwacks containing  clubs and discos, folk of my current age hadn’t a clue that these places existed. What we need is input from young folk, as they will be able to put us right, one way or the other.

On 02/03/2022 at 16:24, Bilge said:

And so it is, which makes me look very foolish and I accept this with grace.

This still doesn't alter the fact that the modern red brick, new building (and the building above it)  are  a disgrace to modern architecture and should have been designed to compliment  the Church and the building below it.

When you compare buildings in Sheffield  city centre, with those in cities all over Europe, no one would think that we once led the world and had an Empire on which the sun never set.

Had a look the other day and the offending building (flats which are part of the Sainsburys building) is actually mortared onto the gorgeous old sandstone of the church. I have to conclude that the church must have given permission for this to happen, otherwise the developers were really taking the ****.