Sheffield City Centre - The Future

So why allow the buildings to be built , just hoping they will be occupied ?

55 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Well, even if they are partially full it still raises the same problems. Companies come and go all the time and every single one has unique needs.

If a pre-existing office building is up to modern standards - great , but what if it only has two floors available when a company requires four..... they are simply not going to take it.  If a current property roster has nothing suitable across the board then obviously a company will choose to build or convert their own.

As I said earlier, the way the working world  dramatically changes. It evolves all the time.  You can't force companies to adapt their operations to fit into pre-existing structures all the time. Even less so if the bottom line ultimately costs more.

Send Kirsty Allsop round with a hammer and a bloody big mallet. She'll soon sort out a few dividing walls and partitions. No problem

52 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Send Kirsty Allsop round with a hammer and a bloody big mallet. She'll soon sort out a few dividing walls and partitions. No problem

??

8 hours ago, Anna B said:

Any update on the asbestos removal costs?

9 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Because that will hopefully attract new business. If the offices are available, then it's much easier for business to move in than building a new office, wouldn't you think.

Because the organisations speculatively building them know what the market wants and can see an opportunity for a profit.

"Build it, and they will come..."

Except not in Sheffield...

13 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Who do you think could control that? The council and government can’t.

The council has planning powers that relate to the type, size and quality of a development, but if a speculative investor wants to build something that complies with the planning requirements, so they can sell it for a profit later, there’s nothing the council can do about that.

14 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I never said empty 

👇 You kinda did

20 hours ago, hackey lad said:

There’s loads of office space still standing empty 

18 hours ago, hackey lad said:

That’s what I meant. Why give permission to build these office blocks that aren’t up to spec ?

Well, even the new-build offices are subject to being judged on a number of factors like the ones I mentioned, not least location. If you think about The Square, the offices down by Park Square at the bottom of Dixon Lane, they were built to a decent grade, decent access but not exactly near any other offices, retail, services etc., so they have struggled (but they have had tenants). Potentially the cost of the office space puts people off too if it's pitched too high.

Ultimately though, it rarely hurts for a new development to provide space that offers a different combination of those factors, even if similar - but ultimately different - space is still available elsewhere.

Why allow it to happen if the council know there is an 'oversupply' of something? Well, as Planner1 says, there is not as much control over that as you'd think there might be, if a developer really wants to push ahead with something that is otherwise acceptable in all other aspects.

6 hours ago, Anna B said:

"Build it, and they will come..."

Except not in Sheffield...

Any evidence of occupancy rates, demand levels to provide?

What about those asbestos removal costs, any update on that?

5 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Who do you think could control that? The council and government can’t.

The council has planning powers that relate to the type, size and quality of a development, but if a speculative investor wants to build something that complies with the planning requirements, so they can sell it for a profit later, there’s nothing the council can do about that.

True. Planning legislation is statutory, of course, and Local Planning Authorities are quote constrained.

For instance, they cannot refuse planning permission on grounds of a new building being unlikely to sell.

However, I can't see why a speculative developer would splurge a large amount of £££ on a new but unsaleable building.

Planning?  How anyone in that official capacity could ever have given the green light to this unholy juxtaposition is beyond me 😬

Unholy juxtaposition

16 minutes ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Planning?  How anyone in that official capacity could ever have given the green light to this unholy juxtaposition is beyond me 😬

Unholy juxtaposition

Classy  😂

I don't see a problem with the buildings in that picture.

The church has been retained despite there being little demand for churches these days (I think this one is still functioning, but with the Art House as a kind of add-on annexe thing). Other buildings have grown up around it. What's the problem? The city centre is full of such juxtapositions. That's one of the reasons it's interesting.