Sheffield City Centre - The Future

12 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Is that comment meant to be funny?

You should put a smiling emoji at the end of the sentence just to be clear 🙄

Maybe, maybe not.  I'll let you decide.

In my defence, your honour, I was typing on a mobile phone and it's damned near impossible to type in my signature purple text, let alone chuck some smilies on the end of a post.

But!

Now I'm typing on a computer again, can I just say that, having lived in L**ds for much longer than I should have, the only people who compare us to the City of the Damned are people who've never lived or worked there.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

the only people who compare us to the City of the Damned are people who've never lived or worked there.

A big assumption as you know nothing about me but thats ok 👍

On the debate on which city has progressed more in the last 20 years then you only need a set of eyes to see that its Leeds....the disastrous Sevenstone project set us back 20 years at least

And without the Universities and the students Sheffield would look like Rotherham or Doncaster

However, because of the slow progress of the development in the city, Sheffield does have a bit more charm and personality

Kelham Island is a great example of that

Edited by Jack Grey

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

On the debate on which city has progressed more in the last 20 years then you only need a set of eyes to see that its Leeds....the disastrous Sevenstone project set us back 20 years at least

And without the Universities and the students Sheffield would look like Rotherham or Doncaster

However, because of the slow progress of the development in the city, Sheffield does have a bit more charm and personality

Kelham Island is a great example of that

My bold. 

You can't fault that statement. 

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

6 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

You can't fault that statement. 

Purely playing Devil's Advocate.....   whilst at the time it was a disaster to lose such a prestigious shopping mall project, with the benefit of hindsight maybe we had a lucky escape.

After all, what we could now have ended up with was a massive redevelopment skewed primarily for retail units which thanks to the 2008 recession, Brexit and subsequently Covid could have led to even more empty vacant spaces to those the city already naturally suffers from. 

Of course John Lewis and Debenhams are massive blow but at least the current redevelopment works has a smaller retail focus and more work on offering other non-retail uses.

In trying to look for a positive, failure of 7stone give us a chance (albeit luck rather than judgement) to scale back and reconsider a project to create things that people are actually going to use and occupy rather than chasing now much more turbulet and risky premium retail pipedreams.

15 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Purely playing Devil's Advocate.....   whilst at the time it was a disaster to lose such a prestigious shopping mall project, with the benefit of hindsight maybe we had a lucky escape.

After all, what we could now have ended up with was a massive redevelopment skewed primarily for retail units which thanks to the 2008 recession, Brexit and subsequently Covid could have led to even more empty vacant spaces to those the city already naturally suffers from. 

Of course John Lewis and Debenhams are massive blow but at least the current redevelopment works has a smaller retail focus and more work on offering other non-retail uses.

In trying to look for a positive, failure of 7stone give us a chance (albeit luck rather than judgement) to scale back and reconsider a project to create things that people are actually going to use and occupy rather than chasing now much more turbulet and risky premium retail pipedreams.

I guess the counter argument to that is if we had redeveloped the area and built a new home for John Lewis then they would never have left

Maybe they just got sick and tired of the councils bad management, indecision and broken promises 

sevenstone_sheffield_acme211009_2.jpg

5 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I guess the counter argument to that is if we had redeveloped the area and built a new home for John Lewis then they would never have left

Maybe they just got sick and tired of the councils bad management, indecision and broken promises 

Perhaps, but given that they closed down the shiny new Birmingham store which was only built and opened in 2015 and there even newer York store which was built on an out of town Retail Park, as part of their closure programme there would be no guarantee of that.

5 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Now that is a hideous looking building.

It looks like a cross between the huge worm from Empire Strikes Back and one of those flying warships from Avengers Assemble.

I'm relieved they didn’t build it; that would’ve given you summat to complain about 🙄

Looks like a mutant version  of the Birmingham one that got shut

Edited by butlers

11 minutes ago, butlers said:

Looks like a mutant version  of the Birmingham bone that got shut

It looks like a monster with two mouths, and they’re both eating people 😱

18 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Now that is a hideous looking building.

It looks like a cross between the huge worm from Empire Strikes Back and one of those flying warships from Avengers Assemble.

I'm relieved they didn’t build it; that would’ve given you summat to complain about 🙄

13 minutes ago, butlers said:

Looks like a mutant version  of the Birmingham bone that got shut

Anything is better than this ugly monstrosity from the 1960s

John-Lewis-Sheffield.jpg

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

It looks like a monster with two mouths, and they’re both eating people 😱

Cannot unsee the  Hellraiser Cenobite.  But distressingly it's got two lipless mouths.  So thanks for that.

Just now, Jack Grey said:

Anything is better than this ugly monstrosity from the 1960s

John-Lewis-Sheffield.jpg

Nope.

The John Lewis building is quite a handsome building from the outside.

It was a bit tatty and rundown on the inside, but you couldn’t tell that from the photo.