Sheffield City Centre - The Future

15 hours ago, sparko said:

Surely spending that money on attracting new tenants to these empty units would be better. 

Or spend a little and open the car park and make some money back on the building …

1 minute ago, Anna B said:

That's a pretty unpleasant generalisation and rant about unfortunate people.

They need tough love because hugging them isnt working is it 

5 hours ago, crookesey said:

No different to other once fine centres, the thing that I notice in say St James is no wineoes  or yobs, they are obviously tolerated in the C/C.

There is a very obvious reason for that. St. James is private property -   A city centre isn't.  

2 hours ago, alarmingmark said:

Or spend a little and open the car park and make some money back on the building …

Highly unlikely. The whole area is one giant construction site at the moment..... add-on the council's perceived reputation for hatred of anything petrol powered,  and the chances of getting any feasible steady flowing vehicle access to that part of town is impossible now.

Let's face it, we all knew it when they brought in the "temporary" covid changes. The days of Pinstone Street ever returning to a road are long gone.   I will concede, whilst I will never sign up to some of the OTT hysteria about Sheffield road systems portrayed by some people on this forum, I have to admit the Pinstone Street closure was one of their poorer ideas.

Edited by ECCOnoob

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Your solution would be of course??

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

I saw absolutely no love or even an attempt at understanding in that post. Just contempt. 

I hope the author never finds himself in such dire straights.

He undoubtedly thinks himself immune to such misfortune. I expect some of them once did too.

Edited by Anna B

8 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Well idiots need to stop voting in left wing councils then 

Sheffield is probably the last Labour stronghold in the UK

Should we vote for an Evil Tory council then ?

Would that make you happier, or just less angry ?

2 hours ago, The Joker said:

Should we vote for an Evil Tory council then ?

Would that make you happier, or just less angry ?

Im not angry....im just fed up of listening to Sheffielder's constantly complaining about the council and then voting them in again and again and again

And I dont think there has ever been a Tory council in Sheffield so im not sure how you'd know they would be evil 🙄

Edited by Jack Grey

Sheffield should have had an indoor shopping mall in the centre... look at Leeds, Manchester, Derby and even Huddersfield.
They should have built from that and Meadowhall probably wouldn't have come along.
Back to the 80's and the not so wild story of wanting to put a roof on the Moor... it could have worked, people would have come to shop undercover and in the warm.

That is Sheffield City Centre's major flaw.

1 hour ago, darylslinn said:

Sheffield should have had an indoor shopping mall in the centre... look at Leeds, Manchester, Derby and even Huddersfield.
They should have built from that and Meadowhall probably wouldn't have come along.
Back to the 80's and the not so wild story of wanting to put a roof on the Moor... it could have worked, people would have come to shop undercover and in the warm.

That is Sheffield City Centre's major flaw.

May be some truth in that.   But given that there are the usual uspects on here who are still, 40+  years later, banging on about the "travesty" of The Moor and Fargate being pedestrianised...    .....still whinging and demanding they should go back to their days of a two-way traffic filled streets, the chance of the either getting developed into full-blown undercover shopping precincts were slim to none.

In my opinion for the major flaw in this city is far far too many people who simply don't like change. Anything that evolves, anything redeveloped, any change of use, anything new and unfamiliar instantly gets slagged off, criticised, and put down to an inch of its life.

Meadowhall of course was a major catalyst in the decline of city centre retail, but as I have said multiple times before - a city centre is far more than just about shops. Thinking about it, what really would we prefer, the steelworks were going to close one way or another, so i say better to have Meadowhall bringing people into the area than a massive empty decaying industrial wasteland.  A quick look back in history to the time when the centre first opened and people will be amazed how far and wide it's catchment was at it's peak.

Edited by ECCOnoob

I really (really) don't like places like Meadowhall and have genuinely never ever shopped there.  I can however appreciate the attractions of being able to wander around without being pestered by scroungers, spiceheads and smackheads.

Edited by Martin C

We need more small independent shops sellinginteresting things rather than the big chain stores. Chapel walk is the ideal location for a start.

47 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We need more small independent shops sellinginteresting things rather than the big chain stores. Chapel walk is the ideal location for a start.

Are there enough customers for that??  Do they make enough money to afford prime real estate?

People raise complaint about those big identikit chain stores but let's not forget the only reason why they become so dominant and powerful is because we customers keep choosing to shop there.

Independent and quirky is all well and good but if people simply walk around, point at the unusual thing before laughing at the price tag and walking out again - it isn't a business.  If developers and landlords can make 10 times the money selling the empty building for apartments, leisure or office use rather than subsidising some non-profitable small craft shop they are going to do it because they're in business too.   

That is the unfortunate but harsh reality. That is why independent, boutique, small value,  startups stores are found on the fringes.

Edited by ECCOnoob