Sheffield City Centre - The Future

Not a chance in Hell sadly. I don't drive (and am fortunate enough to live close enough to the "centre"  - despite the unfortunate shift to The Moor).

Never happy to go there after around 10am though - at least before that time the "homeless" are still spaced/spiced/zonked/stoned out in their taxpayer funded freebie accommodation so haven't yet claimed their scrounging "pitches" to beg from those that work for a living.

Yes, I totally agree that Sheffield is by no means unique in being infested/afflicted by these lowlife oxygen wasters but this is my city and I despair 

Fargate is dead......They should close all the shops and turn the street into an area for bars, restaurants and cafes

Its a fantastic pedestrianised space that could have outside seating and entertainment spaces which successfully incorporate Chapel Walk for smaller more niche bohemian venues 👍

Edited by Jack Grey

Used to go into town a lot when I was younger,  loved shopping, drinking eating in town, would still love to go but don't feel as safe anymore, knife crime, druggies and pick pockets. Every left right and center, all decent shops gone and busses are a joke, its gonna take a lot of doing up. To get folk going back in regular,  Hope it does pick up though  im Sheff born and bred and still proud to be.

Well this thread is predictable....

Everybody get your buzzword bingo card ready

I loathe Sheffield city centre. The most ridiculous one-way/non-way traffic system ever devised. Complete joke. The way to get people in is to open it up to traffic, not exclude it. Parking prices are a joke too.

24 minutes ago, wearysmith said:

I loathe Sheffield city centre. The most ridiculous one-way/non-way traffic system ever devised. Complete joke. The way to get people in is to open it up to traffic, not exclude it. Parking prices are a joke too.

Well idiots need to stop voting in left wing councils then 

Sheffield is probably the last Labour stronghold in the UK

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Fargate is dead......They should close all the shops and turn the street into an area for bars, restaurants and cafes

Its a fantastic pedestrianised space that could have outside seating and entertainment spaces which successfully incorporate Chapel Walk for smaller more niche bohemian venues 👍

Intelligent suggestion.

2 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Daft post.

14 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Didn't we vote for a new style of (cooperative) council at the last election with the Lib Dems in charge?

How's that working out?

I went into Sheffield this week, the first time in probably 3 years. I went on the tram as I've been led to believe  that access and parking are difficult and to be avoided at all costs. We got off the tram on West Street and walked past the City Hall to get to what is the only proper department store left, Atkinson's, and had to walk through a building site by the abandoned John Lewis shop. The Moor was quiet (10.00am) and we did the shopping and also went into the market. To return we went back up the Moor, Pinstone Street and Fargate to get the tram. Thoughts....3 musicians on the Moor  ..nice. the market was good but too many units closed.  Wineoes on large bottles of cider on the Moor...not so good. Lots of building taking place but not sure how they are going to fill the retail spaces as it looks like 50% of the existing ones are empty/boarded up. The place was getting busier by midday but we was glad to get home after carrying  shopping etc.....not in a rush to go back just yet. 

No different to other once fine centres, the thing that I notice in say St James is no wineoes  or yobs, they are obviously tolerated in the C/C.

15 hours ago, Martin C said:

Not a chance in Hell sadly. I don't drive (and am fortunate enough to live close enough to the "centre"  - despite the unfortunate shift to The Moor).

Never happy to go there after around 10am though - at least before that time the "homeless" are still spaced/spiced/zonked/stoned out in their taxpayer funded freebie accommodation so haven't yet claimed their scrounging "pitches" to beg from those that work for a living.

Yes, I totally agree that Sheffield is by no means unique in being infested/afflicted by these lowlife oxygen wasters but this is my city and I despair 

That's a pretty unpleasant generalisation and rant about unfortunate people.