Sheffield City Centre - The Future

Do you think Sheffield city centre will bounce back from its current state? With new developments taking shape amidst a backdrop of many empty stores, what do you think lies ahead for its future? 

Filled with empty offices, green spaces and student accommodation is my guess. 

As a centre for shopping its dead and won't be coming back. 

Such a depressing thought but probably an accurate one. 

1 hour ago, The_DADDY said:

Filled with empty offices, green spaces and student accommodation is my guess. 

As a centre for shopping its dead and won't be coming back. 

4 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Only good for using as a ghost town in a movie.

Plenty of zombies 

With the recent news of investment for 20,000 homes in 5 new city centre neighbourhoods then it looks good for living, work, leisure and education. 

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/yorkshire/news/2087393-20000-new-homes-proposed-within-strategic-vision-for-city-centre

https://www.ourcitycentre-shf.com/here-and-now

Leave manufacturing to the East and all the nimby's to the West

Edited by Findlay

32 minutes ago, sparko said:

Such a depressing thought but probably an accurate one. 

I agree. A very depressing thought and I hope I'm dead wrong about it. 

I loved town as a kid, in my teens and early adult years. It's not even a shadow of its former self. 

Likely more people live in the city centre than ever think it's about a 20,000 increase in the last decade.

As to student let's,let em come, education is Sheffields most important business and has worldwide repute 

The University has a bigger budget than the city council.

A few years ago every city centre was virtually identical to any other with only the big boys able to afford the exorbitant rates, these need to be dropped considerably and attract local businesses and enterprises to fill the empty spaces and give these centres flavours that reflect their background, it won't happen though as the council would rather see empty units than drop the rates.

8 minutes ago, top4718 said:

A few years ago every city centre was virtually identical to any other with only the big boys able to afford the exorbitant rates, these need to be dropped considerably and attract local businesses and enterprises to fill the empty spaces and give these centres flavours that reflect their background, it won't happen though as the council would rather see empty units than drop the rates.

Business rates are set by central government, not local councils.

4 hours ago, sparko said:

Do you think Sheffield city centre will bounce back from its current state? With new developments taking shape amidst a backdrop of many empty stores, what do you think lies ahead for its future? 

Have you seen that Sheffield city council want to spend £100k on “wrapping the John Lewis “ building to make it look tidy ….what a waste of money !

56 minutes ago, alarmingmark said:

Have you seen that Sheffield city council want to spend £100k on “wrapping the John Lewis “ building to make it look tidy ….what a waste of money !

Surely spending that money on attracting new tenants to these empty units would be better.