Takeaway Delivery - Time For Regulation?

It is time, now that the takeaway delivery industry has massively grown, in part due to covid, that we start thinking of proper regulations.  Proper checks on drivers done by local authorities as they are with taxi drivers. 

It's now getting to the point that mosts delivery drivers pretty much do as they please on our roads without fear. Offenses including but not limited to:

Speeding
Dangerous driving/driving without due care
Driving in restricted areas (pedestrian zones, bus lanes, unmonitored bus gates)
Parking in obstructive manner/illegally parking

Now you might say those are the perview of the police & mostly you're right, but you need to remember that it's South Yorkshire Police FARCE

I also suspect a great many aren't properly insured either, given that I went to a local fast food chain and they had deliveries stack up waiting. Staff were told by some driver that the others were cancelling jobs and not going to the location because the police were in the car park...

8 minutes ago, Resident said:

It is time, now that the takeaway delivery industry has massively grown, in part due to covid, that we start thinking of proper regulations.  Proper checks on drivers done by local authorities as they are with taxi drivers. 

It's now getting to the point that mosts delivery drivers pretty much do as they please on our roads without fear. Offenses including but not limited to:

Speeding
Dangerous driving/driving without due care
Driving in restricted areas (pedestrian zones, bus lanes, unmonitored bus gates)
Parking in obstructive manner/illegally parking

Now you might say those are the perview of the police & mostly you're right, but you need to remember that it's South Yorkshire Police FARCE

I also suspect a great many aren't properly insured either, given that I went to a local fast food chain and they had deliveries stack up waiting. Staff were told by some driver that the others were cancelling jobs and not going to the location because the police were in the car park...

There are already laws and regulations in place for everything you list. If you suspect they are driving round uninsured then report them, there is already a law for that.

As for the rest of your post it all seems a bit he said she said....   delivering some food is a big difference to operating a public service vehicle. Do you really think that consumers are happy to pick up the tab of the vast amounts of cost that regulation and licensing will bring to someone delivering a £3.99 burger and chips.

The problems you are describing on your list is not regulation it is enforcement which is an entirely different matter. The solution to that is not engaging in more paperwork and bureaucracy.  After all, there are plenty of licensed professional drivers who still speed, ignore traffic markings or park like a tool. 

Edited by ECCOnoob

What a bizarre post. As already said, laws already exist that apply to all drivers anyway.

Delivery drivers are almost forced to block access to drives or for a few minutes the whole road, so try to work with them eg, answer door quickly, give correct amount and while being polite don’t start a none relevant conversation.

You focus on takeaway delivery drivers when there's plenty of package couriers that are just as worse.

It's a small inconvenience and really it's made worse by crap planning and poor developments that don't give room for someone to stop and quickly drop something off.

Insurance has always been an issue, although a good number of the people delivering for Uber Eats are also driving Taxi's, so they do have proper insurance.

5 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

There are already laws and regulations in place for everything you list. If you suspect they are driving round uninsured then report them, there is already a law for that.

I noticed this week, a white car picking up school children every day. The car has no taxi plate and no stickers, regulation seems to be more relaxed with the likes of UBER.

The workers picking up the children are not wearing a uniform, I believe they work for a local taxi firm. I may may more attension next week. The parents are obviously aware who picks up their children. So is it an issue?

14 hours ago, El Cid said:

I noticed this week, a white car picking up school children every day. The car has no taxi plate and no stickers, regulation seems to be more relaxed with the likes of UBER.

The workers picking up the children are not wearing a uniform, I believe they work for a local taxi firm. I may may more attension next week. The parents are obviously aware who picks up their children. So is it an issue?

Morning El Cid.

Some children with special needs are collected by chaperones if this is what you are seeing they will be fully vetted and insured.

Keep safe 8) 

They should have a minimum IQ requirement for staff at fast food places, say, minimum IQ of 50?

That’d probably get rid of half the staff at my local KFC. Honestly don’t like going there anymore, they’re unbelievably inept.

On 17/01/2022 at 17:09, West 77 said:

The original poster makes a valid point.  Although these takeaway delivery services provide opportunities for some they cause problems and inconvenience for others.  I have it on good authority that these delivery services continue until the early hours of the morning and it's often difficult for delivery drivers to identify house numbers in darkness which causes problems for normal people who want a good nights sleep.  The type of people who want these late night /early morning takeaway deliveries are often drug users who have been busy inhaling illegal substances which apparently creates an appetite for some kinds of takeaway food.  The takeaway delivery business most certainly needs to be looked at for numerous reasons.

Or they've been out for a drink. Or they are working shifts. Or they just live their lives in a different pattern. Are these not normal people? 

41 minutes ago, West 77 said:

A good point well made. You're correct to point out it's not only druggies who are ordering these late night / early morning takeaway deliveries.  Pregnant women with food cravings are also responsible for causing inconvenience for their neighbours by having takeaway deliveries late at night and in the early morning.

"Inconvenience".   Jesus, if the neighbours are that sensitive they need to buy some earplugs or move into the middle of nowhere.    

Life is 24/7.  Not everybody is bed at 23:00 up at 07:00.    Back my student days when I used to work night shifts at hotels, I would get home at 4.30am, crack open a beer and have my dinner before catching up on TV, relaxing up to my midday "bedtime".  I'm sure if you speak to lots of other shift workers they have similar patterns.  

If we play your game, what about all those selfish daytime individuals driving around, delivering things, talking and shouting, mowing lawns, DIY,  and "inconveniencing" those poor night workers trying to sleep.  

Just now, West 77 said:

If you live in a decent neighbourhood then it's not normal to hear noise late at night and in the early morning hours.  Someone living near where takeaways are located choose to live in an area where there is late night noise.  Normal decent residential areas have to suffer the inconvenience of vans delivering  all sorts of stuff including supermarket food through out the day light hours which never happened before the days of online shopping.  These takeaway deliveries are another new nuisance non lazy respectable normal people have to endure which spoils the peace and quiet.  In my opinion legislation needs to be introduced to stop all deliveries including takeaways after 8.00 pm in an evening. 

You are jumping the shark now.  Stop it.

43 minutes ago, West 77 said:

If you live in a decent neighbourhood then it's not normal to hear noise late at night and in the early morning hours.  Someone living near where takeaways are located choose to live in an area where there is late night noise.  Normal decent residential areas have to suffer the inconvenience of vans delivering  all sorts of stuff including supermarket food through out the day light hours which never happened before the days of online shopping.  These takeaway deliveries are another new nuisance non lazy respectable normal people have to endure which spoils the peace and quiet.  In my opinion legislation needs to be introduced to stop all deliveries including takeaways after 8.00 pm in an evening. 

What a Crock from start to finish.

Decent neighbourhoods were probably the first areas to have had meals / shopping delivered to them while the none decent types in society have had to trapes to the shops to fetch their own takeaways / shopping :huh: .

So now the none decent types are having the gall to have things delivered to their doors you want to take that service away because what the decent, non lazy respectable normal people once called a service is now deemed something of an inconvenience / nuisance and worthy of government intervention :suspect:  :huh: :loopy: .

Legislation to stop deliveries after 8.00pm 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 .

Legislate everybody should be tucked up in bed by 8.30pm while your at it.

Anyone found outside breaking curfew will be shot.

Where's my Brown Shirt and Luger.