What Do Sheffielder People Collect?

Used to have loads of penknives, pocket knives, Bowie knives , all sorts of knives ( me dad was in the industry)  but over the years they’ve all gone and I don’t know where. Wish I still had them .

On 14/01/2022 at 20:57, The_DADDY said:

Crossbows. I've a good selection ranging from the gimmicky pistol crossbows to the full size "hunting" style and many in between. 

Hello DADDY.

Out of interest, is your collection one of style / makers variation's / function / sport / age ?

I have a good idea of the history of the crossbow, how it came-about and it's demise as a fighting weapon (gunpowder & bullets).

Is there anything in your collection with any age to it?

(there doesn't have to be, there's nothing wrong with having a modern collection, although I don't understand that 'trainer' collection thing ! what's wrong with a good pair of steel-caps or a pair of brothel creepers :lol:).

Not quite crossbows but I have an excellent book in my collection 'A history of shooting, the development of target guns and shooting ranges by Jaroslav Lugs, circa 1968. excellent book for anyone interested in the history of shooting as a sport.

Copies are still out there (ebay etc) but aren't particularly cheap.

Keep safe 8) .

I was going to say collect wisely, but do any of us collectors really collect wisely :huh: :suspect: .

On 16/01/2022 at 16:39, hackey lad said:

Used to have loads of penknives, pocket knives, Bowie knives , all sorts of knives ( me dad was in the industry)  but over the years they’ve all gone and I don’t know where. Wish I still had them .

they are fetching good money at local auctions and the american market

59 minutes ago, bassett one said:

Not bothered about the money. Every one of them held a memory for me , in fact I’ve still got a scar on my thigh from one .

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

13 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Not bothered about the money. Every one of them held a memory for me , in fact I’ve still got a scar on my thigh from one .

Totally agree Hackey.

Are we talking making money or 'Collecting'?

There is a difference.

Are we victims of 'Havin now't' as kids and making up for it ever-since?  if so, I for one plead guilty :lol: .

Do I need so many books when there is so much information on the internet? simple answer - Yes. A book has a life of it's own.

Do I need so many bikes / cars - Yes, gives me something to do in't garage :lol: ).

Do I understand Football -No. 

Do I understand the passion for someone who does - yes.

Back to knifes, found a dagger in a box of daggers / swords/ carving knives (?) at a local sales room a while ago.

Slightly smaller but the same shape and design as a HJ (Hitler Youth) dagger but is actually a 1930's era Boy Scout dagger, it is missing the diamond shaped badge that would have been inserted in the handle but it is what it is and probably rarer than the HJ dagger (something which have been reproduced over and over again) (made in China is the usual give-a-way :lol: ), bargain at £10 and a nice addition to the collection. 

Keep safe out there, collect responsibly and let avaricious not be your middle name :lol: .

(can we have the words 'collect' & 'Responsibly' in the same sentence? :hihi: ).

I'm not sure if this comes within the criteria of being a collector.

When I am out and about cycling, I will pick up pieces of steel that I see on the road/path. I use the steel for little jobs that I occasionally need to do with the electric welder.

It is not easy to buy small pieces of steel. The main area where I see it has been on Sheffield road between Tinsley & Eccles roundabouts. It probably falls off overloaded lorries. I picked up a rod of brass one day - about 3ft long,  I occassionally use that to shove in & out of my composters  to airate the  decomping waste. The rod won't rust of course.

I hope the OP does not mind.......

I am currenty on the look out for a short piece of 50x50mm  box section, less than 30cm will be fine. It does not matter if this is very rusty. This piece is not for welding if anyone has a bit laying around. Thank you.

That’s a good find Rockers. Is it Solingen? If so will probably sharpen up nicely. Talking of which reminds me of a find I had years ago. A beautiful solingen straight razor with an ivory or bone handle. It had embossed silver end caps with red enamel detail. Alas, when I opened it I found some neer do well had ground the blade into hooks to make a really nasty weapon. Had to get rid of that one, what a waste! I also had a Rolls razor with its original case and accessories but I was never brave enough to use it!

17 minutes ago, Janus said:

I'm not sure if this comes within the criteria of being a collector.

When I am out and about cycling, I will pick up pieces of steel that I see on the road/path. I use the steel for little jobs that I occasionally need to do with the electric welder.

It is not easy to buy small pieces of steel. The main area where I see it has been on Sheffield road between Tinsley & Eccles roundabouts. It probably falls off overloaded lorries. I picked up a rod of brass one day - about 3ft long,  I occassionally use that to shove in & out of my composters  to airate the  decomping waste. The rod won't rust of course.

I hope the OP does not mind.......

I am currenty on the look out for a short piece of 50x50mm  box section, less than 30cm will be fine. It does not matter if this is very rusty. This piece is not for welding if anyone has a bit laying around. Thank you.

Your OK in my books Janus :thumbsup:

I've a garage / shed's /attic full of 'It'll come in handy'.

Small box section shouldn't be that hard to find.

See a scrap man - ask - .

Fabricators should have a offcut laying about, Skips r good.

Keep safe 8) .

30 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

That’s a good find Rockers. Is it Solingen? If so will probably sharpen up nicely. Talking of which reminds me of a find I had years ago. A beautiful solingen straight razor with an ivory or bone handle. It had embossed silver end caps with red enamel detail. Alas, when I opened it I found some neer do well had ground the blade into hooks to make a really nasty weapon. Had to get rid of that one, what a waste! I also had a Rolls razor with its original case and accessories but I was never brave enough to use it!

The Scout Dagger as could be expected has been so well used and over sharpened no makers marks are visible.

I've used Roll's razors many times, the sharpening stones are usually the first thing to break.

I have a couple that are about as good as new, still boxed and with all the extras available at the time and all the original paperwork.

Roll's razors still turn up at carboots for as little as £3.

Keep safe 8) .

i think its great to choose a item to collect,as i said i collect vesta cases and they are made of wood,silver,gold,bakelite ect,so such a vary in cost,i dont collect to make money as collecting is often for the benefit of others after people pass,bit like planting trees,we plant them,for the future,but theres so many from stamps,coins,knifes ect and i am sure theres more of our readers got a lot more to say

2 hours ago, bassett one said:

i think its great to choose a item to collect,as i said i collect vesta cases and they are made of wood,silver,gold,bakelite ect,so such a vary in cost,i dont collect to make money as collecting is often for the benefit of others after people pass,bit like planting trees,we plant them,for the future,but theres so many from stamps,coins,knifes ect and i am sure theres more of our readers got a lot more to say

Hello Bassett.

Had to have a think, must have something else that emphasises Sheffield in my collections.

How could I have forgotten the three large box's of silversmith tools i became custodian of? :rolleyes: .

I say custodian, because I was given them, know their history and can't justify selling them.

There is a possibility I may offer them to Western park museum - long term loan / gift at some point?

Basically the tools, hammers, scribes, chasers, anvil steaks, punch sets, etc, etc, etc are all as they were taken from their workbenches when the silversmiths shut down (Scotland St) many years ago. 

below is a stock picture of the type of things in the collection, imagine five times as much + small anvils etc, etc, etc and the three cabinets + pattern books, receipts for work done, invoices and customers names.

See the source image

Like I said 'How could i have forgotten :huh:'

Keep safe 8) .

3 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Bassett.

Had to have a think, must have something else that emphasises Sheffield in my collections.

How could I have forgotten the three large box's of silversmith tools i became custodian of? :rolleyes: .

I say custodian, because I was given them, know their history and can't justify selling them.

There is a possibility I may offer them to Western park museum - long term loan / gift at some point?

Basically the tools, hammers, scribes, chasers, anvil steaks, punch sets, etc, etc, etc are all as they were taken from their workbenches when the silversmiths shut down (Scotland St) many years ago. 

below is a stock picture of the type of things in the collection, imagine five times as much + small anvils etc, etc, etc and the three cabinets + pattern books, receipts for work done, invoices and customers names.

See the source image

Like I said 'How could i have forgotten :huh:'

Keep safe 8) .

Just how big is your garage ?  Is it really  , a barn ?