What Do Sheffielder People Collect?

PEOPLE collect many things,some collect buttons,some collect marbles,jars ect,i collect vesta cases,what do other sheffield folk collect,is it metal objects as i find if i buy a vesta and its a sheffield hallmarks ,i think where have you been say since you were made in sheffield say 1885,so just a topic of what locals collect,

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

PEOPLE collect many things,some collect buttons,some collect marbles,jars ect,i collect vesta cases,what do other sheffield folk collect,is it metal objects as i find if i buy a vesta and its a sheffield hallmarks ,i think where have you been say since you were made in sheffield say 1885,so just a topic of what locals collect,

I definitely go under the 'Collect many things' category.

We had nothing (yet everything) growing up, but made up for it since 8) .

We appear to collect folk from every corner of the earth, rich, poor, young, old of all ethnicities, when you put them along with us into the melting pot the future looked very interesting.

Crossbows. I've a good selection ranging from the gimmicky pistol crossbows to the full size "hunting" style and many in between. 

basset one, some years ago I used to dabble in the antique/collectibles market. My primary interest was the Art Deco era but I would also pick up other stuff if it piqued my interest. I still have a couple of vestas kicking around. One is in Art Nouveau style and appears to be gilt on brass with very little wear, the other has a crown shaped lid so I’m wondering if that one was a commemorative piece. You’re the first person I’ve found who collects these but I can understand the attraction as they are interesting personal items that don’t need a lot of space to collect.    

The DADDY, I’ve had a few crossbows over the years. They’re interesting to use except for the 20 minutes spent digging the bolt out of the target, that’s if the bolt hasn’t gone straight through the effing target and disappeared into a parallel universe. I still have a Barnet Trident pistol bow but the string looks a bit dodgy and I don’t know if parts and bolts are still available.                                             

what else do people collect,do any collect sheffield made goods?

7 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

basset one, some years ago I used to dabble in the antique/collectibles market. My primary interest was the Art Deco era but I would also pick up other stuff if it piqued my interest. I still have a couple of vestas kicking around. One is in Art Nouveau style and appears to be gilt on brass with very little wear, the other has a crown shaped lid so I’m wondering if that one was a commemorative piece. You’re the first person I’ve found who collects these but I can understand the attraction as they are interesting personal items that don’t need a lot of space to collect.    

The DADDY, I’ve had a few crossbows over the years. They’re interesting to use except for the 20 minutes spent digging the bolt out of the target, that’s if the bolt hasn’t gone straight through the effing target and disappeared into a parallel universe. I still have a Barnet Trident pistol bow but the string looks a bit dodgy and I don’t know if parts and bolts are still available.                                             

8 hours ago, bassett one said:

what else do people collect,do any collect sheffield made goods?

Teddy Boy of old.

Quite a good collection of 'Straight razors' many made in Sheffield and all by different manufacturers. 

Which wasn't hard as many of Sheffields 'Little Mesters' manufactured straight razors.

I have what looks like a book but when opened actually contains two (Sheffield made) razor's, sat in crushed blue velvet. Of course every book has to have a title and author.

The book is embossed with 'The Close Shave' by, U. Latherwell.

My favourite razor is a turn of the century (early 1900's) German made straight razor, made for a Doctor, pearl handle and engraved to him & Has a 'nick' in the handle for some reason?

Lots of other shaving related items including Roll's  safety Razors, corn razors, strop's etc, etc and still use a 1930's Merkur Bakelite safety razor. It should last a while longer - I only chop the middle out of what would be a beard , leaving my diggers in place :lol:

Keep safe out there 8) .

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

that sounds intresting ,there is always that type of thing in the auction locally ,theres also lots of pen knives from sheffield and america

I collect many things but mainly Old Boy's Toy's from the 1950's onwards, what

ever take's my fancy at Toy Fairs.