Has The Wagon 1871 Bistro Closed?

12 minutes ago, AY1975 said:

Yes, it now has signs up saying Indian street food. I haven't had a chance to make use of it yet but I hope to do so at some point. 

About ten years ago, before it became the 1871 Wagon Bistro, it was a kind of noodle bar type place called Wok2Work. I've been in there a few times both when it was Wok2Work and when it was the 1871 Wagon Bistro. I really liked both establishments but it was never very busy despite being one of the nearest (if not THE nearest) places to the station where you could get a proper sit-down meal. Let's hope the new Indian street food place does better!

I liked it when it was the noodle place.

I liked Wok2Work too, and I've been in there a few times since it became Wagon Rasoi, an Indian street food place. The food is great, and the helpings are really generous - I'd recommend it to anyone who likes curry.

As with the previous Wagon 1871 place and Wok2Work it never seems to be very busy in there, though: on one occasion I was their only customer when I first got there! Unfortunately I think in that kind of location it can be rather difficult to run a cafe or restaurant and really make a success of it unless you put a lot of effort into marketing it and it has a unique selling point. It's not slap bang in the city centre, and there are plenty of other places in town in more convenient and more prominent locations that offer something similar.

It's a great place to go before or after seeing a film at the Showroom if you fancy a change from the Showroom cafe-bar or if the Showroom cafe-bar is too busy.

I fear that this one could turn out to be yet another short-lived use-it-or-lose-it place, though.

Unfortunately it would appear that Wagon Rasoi has closed too.

Wagon Rasoi has recently reopened, presumably under new management, having been closed for several months. It still offers a small selection of curries but now also does things like burgers and pizzas. I was once again the only customer in there when I made use of it recently, though. I think it's closed on Tuesdays but open most other evenings.

At the moment there is scaffolding up outside it, and it has a sign hung up on the scaffolding saying open as usual. That was true when the sign was first put there, and it's now true again.