C. Heating On Or Off During The Night?

6 hours ago, poppet2 said:

In this cold weather, do you leave your central heating on low, throughout the night and at what temperature? 

Im extremely lucky to live in a very well insulated home when im alone i will wear a tracky top and close all the doors and i only really need to turn on the heating when the outside temperature hits zero

And when i do turn on the heating i blast it for 15mins and it keeps the place warm for hours

However, my partner is always freezing and she turns on the heating in the summer.....its like living in the Amazon rain forest

Women are always cold so if you want to save a fortune on rising fuel costs then be a bachelor 👍

Edited by Jack Grey

1 hour ago, cgksheff said:

A good read about keen science students but, sadly, it uses more power to extract the hydrogen than the generator produces.

Could still be worthwhile if using scavenged batteries for that power source.

that's a shame.

I was about to start extracting and save the other stuff, although how many gallons i'd need to collect to run the welder would probably mean me starting drinking again   :huh: 🍺 🍺 .

23 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Women are always cold so if you want to save a fortune on rising fuel costs then be bachelor 👍

Why didn't you tell me that 45 years ago Jack 🙃 :suspect: :lol:.

Keep safe out there 8) .

Our house is smart thermostat controlled. We set a temp and it comes on and off as needed. The house is geo-fenced so if we're out then it won't come on if it drops below the preset unless we come within the geo-fence radius. 

Overnight (2200-0530) it's set to 12°c though looking at the app over this winter so far the house hasn't dropped below 17°c.

On 15/01/2022 at 14:53, Resident said:

Our house is smart thermostat controlled. We set a temp and it comes on and off as needed. The house is geo-fenced so if we're out then it won't come on if it drops below the preset unless we come within the geo-fence radius. 

Overnight (2200-0530) it's set to 12°c though looking at the app over this winter so far the house hasn't dropped below 17°c.

What’s geo fenced ?

4 hours ago, hackey lad said:

What’s geo fenced ?

It means the heating app looks for his phone, if it's not in the house it doesn't turn the heat on.

2 minutes ago, geared said:

It means the heating app looks for his phone, if it's not in the house it doesn't turn the heat on.

Ok thanks , not up with technology 

16 hours ago, hackey lad said:

What’s geo fenced ?

12 hours ago, geared said:

Pretty much this.

Basically the system tracks mine or my partner's location via the phone app. 

If myself or my partner move within the set radius distance then the system will turn on (if required) and if we're not within the radius it won't turn the heating on, even if it drops below the preset temp. 

It means that the heating won't be active when it's not needed. 

Saved us over £150 in gas last winter. 

Maybe on minimum sometimes, only because I have 16 months old

We set the rads to come on 20 minutes before the wakeup alarm and the last of 3 time settings goes off an hour before slumber.

We have 3 quilts 4.5 tog for the summer, 10.5 tog for spring/autumn and a 15 tog on currently.

I wear a polo shirt, jogging bottoms and go barefoot indoors in winter, we keep the boiler on a 20c setting, it comes on at 05.00am until 20.00pm (maybe a little longer). We have DG, CavWall, and a foot deep of loft insulation.  Sweaters, thick socks and thermals are for outside, central heating is for inside.

3 hours ago, crookesey said:

I wear a polo shirt, jogging bottoms and go barefoot indoors in winter, we keep the boiler on a 20c setting, it comes on at 05.00am until 20.00pm (maybe a little longer). We have DG, CavWall, and a foot deep of loft insulation.  Sweaters, thick socks and thermals are for outside, central heating is for inside.

I am a great believer in fresh air and that germs live longer in warm air. My door is open now, whilst cooking breakfast. My dog does not like the house too warm, cat n dog fleas live easier in a warm house; my dog sometimes likes to lay outside, in the cold.

I perfer not to breath in the minute particles from all the manmade plastics, paint and smoke from cooking and heating.

I prefer my house warm, whilst getting out of bed and whilst watching TV

4 hours ago, crookesey said:

You must've won the lottery 🤨

giphy.gif