Oil 5w 30 And 5w 40 Compatibility

Need to top up my oil but getting confused some sites say 5w 40 others say 5w 30 is there any difference in them its for a fiat 500 1.2 petrol 2014 any advice appreciated 

They're pretty close and for just a topup it probably doesn't matter, 5w30 is a more common choice.

The handbook that came with your car should tell you what oil you need.

Edited by geared

I thought handbook would but read every page no mention tried Google but I get those 2 options just scared of doing damage if its wrong oil

That's more for twin air engine mines not that one

If I check euro car parts they are 5w 40 if I check halfords they are 5w 30 ebay is both but mostly 5w 40 I have a new bottle of 5w 30 but don't know what to do

If it was me and it needed topping up I would use what I had.  Years ago Castrol 20W/50 multigrade was put in most engines.  If you take your car to a garage for an annual service, you'll probably never know what oil they have put in, but you won't worry about it.

Edited by Janus

I think your right I will just top up with 5w 30 

Be wary of trusting the handbook.

Over time, long term testing and feedback from owners & dealer servicing departments the information can change from when it was published.

Edited by alchresearch

What you have to remember is any oil is better than no oil. The ones we service at work get 5/40 as this is recommended by the fiat dealer in our network. As a top up 5/30 won't hurt, but I would always recommend using the right stuff where possible.