Sheffield Caz - Ditch The Car For A Bike Circus

2 minutes ago, The Joker said:

Stop staring at their arses; we all know you’re  into some bum fun.

Homophobia isn't acceptable on social media. Kill the hate speech. 

2 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Homophobia isn't acceptable on social media. Kill the hate speech. 

It’s a free country.

if you wanna stare at some bloke’s fit arse all day long, then you do you.

Just now, The Joker said:

It’s a free country.

if you wanna stare at some bloke’s fit arse all day long, then you do you.

Backtracking 😂🤣😂

12 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

Cyclist should pay a road tax and be insured. The tax would help improve safety for cyclists. I'm not a fan of those who don't contribute complaining about services. Cough up and help towards costs.

Oh dear, here we go another one....Boring, change the record, pay tax as a motorist first.

Findlay I agree with you 100% the roads in Sheffield have always been bad for cyclist's and it has got worse in the last ten years.

I am also aware that the smell of cannabis by passing motorists has got much worse to and I believe that is a big contributor.

I cycle a lot and I am much more nervous on the roads that I used to be because of bad drivers though I'm on the fence with cycle lanes sharing with pedestrians.

29 minutes ago, Cody's Granddad said:

Oh dear, here we go another one....Boring, change the record, pay tax as a motorist first.

Findlay I agree with you 100% the roads in Sheffield have always been bad for cyclist's and it has got worse in the last ten years.

I am also aware that the smell of cannabis by passing motorists has got much worse to and I believe that is a big contributor.

I cycle a lot and I am much more nervous on the roads that I used to be because of bad drivers though I'm on the fence with cycle lanes sharing with pedestrians.

Hello Cody's Granddad.

Not sure if Sheffield roads have 'always been bad'.

Loooooong time ago, but me and my brother would think nothing of cycling as far as Castleton when we were younger.

I'd cycle Highfield's to Milhouse's for work each day (before finding the delights of motorised transport) without issue.

The volume of traffic now has no comparison to the 60's or 70's  and has to be the main reason for the fight for road space we see everyday between lorry's, cars, cyclists.

I've stated before, where we live now there is a great understanding between pedestrians and cyclist over shared pavement use.

We are lucky there are also some pretty good cycle / pedestrian routes that work very well for those cycling both for pleasure and those using the routes to one of the many industrial sites nearby. 

Road courtesy has gone out of the window (by all users) in the main.

How we install that in new road users I have no idea.

Everybody wants to be there yesterday.

Faults lay on all sides & I don't believe it is a simple Cyclist against motorist argument.

Improve the roads and shared cycle / pedestrian routes has to of importance.

Keep safe out there 8)

6 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Hello Cody's Granddad.

Not sure if Sheffield roads have 'always been bad'.

Loooooong time ago, but me and my brother would think nothing of cycling as far as Castleton when we were younger.

I'd cycle Highfield's to Milhouse's for work each day (before finding the delights of motorised transport) without issue.

The volume of traffic now has no comparison to the 60's or 70's  and has to be the main reason for the fight for road space we see everyday between lorry's, cars, cyclists.

I've stated before, where we live now there is a great understanding between pedestrians and cyclist over shared pavement use.

We are lucky there are also some pretty good cycle / pedestrian routes that work very well for those cycling both for pleasure and those using the routes to one of the many industrial sites nearby

Road courtesy has gone out of the window (by all users) in the main.

How we install that in new road users I have no idea.

Everybody wants to be there yesterday.

Faults lay on all sides & I don't believe it is a simple Cyclist against motorist argument.

Improve the roads and shared cycle / pedestrian routes has to of importance.

Keep safe out there 8)

Where are those then? There is no decent safe route to cycle out towards the industry on the way to Meadowhall, no decent route to the inductry around AMRC and the old Airport. The roads out to the west and south west of the city have only partial bus lanes, and certainly the one on Ecclesall Road always has cars parked in it.

13 hours ago, onewheeldave said:

No, you don't.

Maybe you're confusing it with 'Vehicle Excise Duty'?

Do you think the cycle tax should be based on emissions, like the car one is?

Road tax is a well known and commonly used colliquial term for VED. 

I do believe there should be some form of taxation for cylcists however. 

Roads are used by everyone, even those that don't drive (public transport users etc). They are paid for by general taxation. 

Cycling infrastructure however isn't used by all, in fact by a tiny fraction of the populous, but the cost of installing and maintaining this infrastructure comes from general taxation.

Maybe we could kill 2 birds and introduce a yearly licence plate, an ID number to show that the individual has paid this tax and also a way to identify those poor riders who think that the Highway Code/Road Traffic Act/Highways Act doesn't apply to them because they're a cyclist.

I await the usual crowd with their whataboutery about drivers.....

1 hour ago, Resident said:

I do believe there should be some form of taxation for cylcists however. 

Roads are used by everyone, even those that don't drive (public transport users etc). They are paid for by general taxation. 

Cycling infrastructure however isn't used by all, in fact by a tiny fraction of the populous, but the cost of installing and maintaining this infrastructure comes from general taxation.

Maybe we could kill 2 birds and introduce a yearly licence plate, an ID number to show that the individual has paid this tax and also a way to identify those poor riders who think that the Highway Code/Road Traffic Act/Highways Act doesn't apply to them because they're a cyclist.

I await the usual crowd with their whataboutery about drivers.....

Most cyclists are drivers, and therefore pay for infrastructure. When they use their bikes they have less impact on that infrastructure, and therefore should receive a tax rebate for less wear and tear and should be allowed to complain bitterly about the very poor cycle infrastructure they receive for the tax they pay, and also complain when that same infrastructure is rendered unusable because someone has parked a car on it.

Agreed?

13 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

Most cyclists are drivers, and therefore pay for infrastructure. When they use their bikes they have less impact on that infrastructure, and therefore should receive a tax rebate for less wear and tear and should be allowed to complain bitterly about the very poor cycle infrastructure they receive for the tax they pay, and also complain when that same infrastructure is rendered unusable because someone has parked a car on it.

Agreed?

Fully agreed, I drive but choose to take my bike most places and I disagree any form of tax should be put onto cyclist's who have 100% low carbon footprint and as you mention we already contribute.

57 minutes ago, Resident said:

I do believe there should be some form of taxation for cyclists however. 

You didn't type all that twisted logic with a straight face, surely?

Call it whatever you want, the fact is the tax that car owners/operators pay relates to the specific costs on society that cars cause. Taxes on fuel and emissions-based VEDs exist to offset the impact burning fossils fuels has both locally and globally. It's got nothing to do with who uses and pays for the roads.

You say roads are for everyone but there are vast swathes of situations where that isn't true both directly and indirectly, aren't there? Motorways; it's literally forbidden for pedestrians and bicycle users to be on a motorway. If someone never uses a motorway all their life (and there millions who won't), will they be getting a big tasty tax rebate at some point? Oh, and by the way, motorways and many other types of car specific infrastructure cost an absolute bomb - there is a upgrade of Junction 18 on the M60 which is predicted to cost up to £350million. That outweighs most major UK cities cycling investment plans put together. One motorway junction. 

And then there's the indirect restrictions. However you try and twist it, it's nonsense to suggest that even smaller local roads aren't also dominated by the car, in many cases to the extent that it is not suitable for pedestrians and bicycle users to try and share the carriageway. Legal as it may be for a pedestrians and cyclists to use a local road, it rarely happens because of the dangers caused by cars. Even pavements - which should be the preserve of pedestrians - are used by motorists for pavement parking, and yes, the occasional cyclist (but lets be clear, you can observe pavement parking on 80% of roads every single day - I see cyclists on the pavement once in a blue moon).

You might want to ask yourself why levels of cycling are so low in this country. Despite the arguments about hills and weather that tend to get thrown around, the truth is that case studies from around the world show that it largely comes down to a) convenience and b) safety/quality infrastructure, though those two largely go hand in hand. Build a safe, quality bike lane that allows cyclists to get from A to B quickly and you soon see cycling levels rise, whatever the weather and gradient. We've spent 100 years spending far more of that general taxation on infrastructure which has massively favoured cars, leaving cycling (and to a lesser extent pedestrian and public transport) infrastructure in the doldrums. Environmental issues, congestion issues, and other reasons, dictate that we must now start to rethink that balance, and yes, that does mean the car is going to start losing out (though I might add that the Netherlands & Denmark - despite their focus on active travel - tend to have very high satisfaction rates amongst drivers, because of low congestion and less worn-out roads).

2 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Where are those then? There is no decent safe route to cycle out towards the industry on the way to Meadowhall, no decent route to the inductry around AMRC and the old Airport. The roads out to the west and south west of the city have only partial bus lanes, and certainly the one on Ecclesall Road always has cars parked in it.

I ain't going to tell you :suspect: .

But it is one of the reasons we moved out of Sheffield :hihi: . 

The argument on a vehicle tax for bicycles is a strange one, especially when some cars pay zero or as little as £30 for the year :loopy: .

Who's going to implement any fines for none paying of bicycle tax?

Chucking in a throwaway idea of 'lets tax bicycles' by those who have a bee in their bonnet against cyclist is hardly well thought out.

The implication on bicycle shops and its manufacturing industry having to implement such legislative nonsense has obviously not been thought about.

Will you have to SORN your bicycle when its not on the road for any length of time ?

Logbooks for bicycles ?

"Sorry sir you have to tax your vehicle before you leave the shop".

Like I said, not thought out.

Keep safe no matter what you ride / drive 8) .

19 hours ago, SheffieldBricky said:

No it should be based on how offended I am by their clothes or skinny arses waddling from side to side when they go up a hill at 3 miles per hour.

You should all be arrested for crimes against humanity.

How To Pick The Right Bike Shorts - I Love Bicycling

It doesn't improve air quality. All the cars during rush hour get slowed down while some hippy toodles along to his allotment.

Sheffield United will wear anything to take the attention away from the fact that they are so ****e