Do Children Need A Mobile

Have you ever noticed how these Mobile users develop little mannerisms,

They answer the phone, then go on a little walkabout, about 10 paces, then a little twirl, and back to starting point.

It would be quite amusing if it weren't so ruddy annoying.

52 minutes ago, crookesey said:

How understanding to age are you, exactly?

That's two people who didn't spot the bolded bit in my quote of cuttsie

Padders and Jim, you have my sympathy, it really can be an addiction, and some kids lose all sense of proportion and common sense when in the grip of it. The only way is to start young just like you would when warning a child about smoking or drinking or drugs. But sometimes the parents are worse. I've seen them in gastro pubs, with their little ones in a high chair being completely ignored while, mum and dad hog their phones.

Nothing on that phone can be as important as giving that child your attention and teaching them something useful about manners, making conversation and enjoying time together; especially if you want that child to behave responsibly and appropriately when they're old enough for their own phone.

Delbow, not only have I seen people on phones walk into street furniture, I've also seen them more worryingly walk into traffic without properly looking.

Edited by Anna B

44 minutes ago, Padders said:

Have you ever noticed how these Mobile users develop little mannerisms,

They answer the phone, then go on a little walkabout, about 10 paces, then a little twirl, and back to starting point.

It would be quite amusing if it weren't so ruddy annoying.

Thats why they are called mobiles , silly .

59 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Padders and Jim, you have my sympathy, it really can be an addiction, and some kids lose all sense of proportion and common sense when in the grip of it. The only way is to start young just like you would when warning a child about smoking or drinking or drugs. But sometimes the parents are worse. I've seen them in gastro pubs, with their little ones in a high chair being completely ignored while, mum and dad hog their phones.

Nothing on that phone can be as important as giving that child your attention and teaching them something useful about manners, making conversation and enjoying time together; especially if you want that child to behave responsibly and appropriately when they're old enough for their own phone.

Delbow, not only have I seen people on phones walk into street furniture, I've also seen them more worryingly walk into traffic without properly looking.

And the phone while driving law is ignored by millions . When a accident happens it is usually fatal as per the lorry drivers crashing into cars on the motor ways .

AnnaB, when our granddaughters sister comes to stay we have a policy that no screens are allowed. No phones, no tablets, no Xbox. They moan about for ten minutes then guess what? They play with toys together and invent little games with them. Admittedly the toys all seem to have terrible American Disney accents but I still take that as a win. Also going to the park and feeding the ducks is still popular.      Cuttsie, I agree. I see loads of idiots still using their phones while driving but I also see idiot pedestrians too. Adults who are so engrossed in their phones that they routinely walk straight behind my car when the reverse lights are on and I’m already moving. They’re like bloody lemmings!

53 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

AnnaB, when our granddaughters sister comes to stay we have a policy that no screens are allowed. No phones, no tablets, no Xbox. They moan about for ten minutes then guess what? They play with toys together and invent little games with them. Admittedly the toys all seem to have terrible American Disney accents but I still take that as a win. Also going to the park and feeding the ducks is still popular.      Cuttsie, I agree. I see loads of idiots still using their phones while driving but I also see idiot pedestrians too. Adults who are so engrossed in their phones that they routinely walk straight behind my car when the reverse lights are on and I’m already moving. They’re like bloody lemmings!

Good for you Jim. Kids get all sorts of valuable things from interactive play that they can't get from phones, and I'm sure they will thank you for it in the end. I just wish all kids could be persuaded to give up their phones for a while, but some parents haven't a clue what to replace them with, they seem to have lost the ability to know how to play with their kids or guide them to other pursuits, and give in very quickly.

Edited by Anna B

27 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Good for you Jim. Kids get all sorts of valuable things from interactive play that they can't get from phones, and I'm sure they will thank you for it in the end. I just wish all kids could be persuaded to give up their phones for a while, but some parents haven't a clue what to replace them with, they seem to have lost the ability to know how to play with their kids or guide them to other pursuits, and give in very quickly.

Used to take my kids in Woolly Woods, making dams, catapults, bow and arrows, they used to love it, especially when I got stuck up a tree.

1 hour ago, Padders said:

Used to take my kids in Woolly Woods, making dams, catapults, bow and arrows, they used to love it, especially when I got stuck up a tree.

Exactly Padders. They like playing with their parents more than anything, although they might not always admit it.

It’s amusing when you bring one into a telephone oriented firm, they appear to think that incoming callers know who they’re talking to without telling them, just the mobile answer grunt, I tended to bung them with the telephonist for a day.

It makes you wonder how we kids managed 70 /75 years ago without telephones.

42 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

It makes you wonder how we kids managed 70 /75 years ago without telephones.

2 tin cans and a length of wire.