Do Children Need A Mobile

I recall our son having his first mobile, he was on it so much that I forbade him using it in front of us, that is in the same room, in the car etc.

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Does any one need a mobile phone , I see people walking into gas lamps , getting run ore . ignoring friends , neighbours , because they are on a daft app on the phone , others are talking loudly you can hear them across a road . I have just this morning heard a lass giving a running commentary on the shops she is passing and describing a dog to some one on the other end , Who needs it .

How old are you, exactly?Ā ā˜ŗļø

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Does any one need a mobile phone , I see people walking into gas lamps , getting run ore . ignoring friends , neighbours , because they are on a daft app on the phone , others are talking loudly you can hear them across a road . I have just this morning heard a lass giving a running commentary on the shops she is passing and describing a dog to some one on the other end , Who needs it .

My Grand-Daughter certainly needs one.

When she's in her bedroom she phone's her mum downstairs, and orders a cuppa.

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

What's age got to do with it?

47 minutes ago, Padders said:

Your granddaughter's not the only one. I phone my daughter when she's in the kitchen and order a cuppa, too. What's wrong with that? Problem is, your granddaughter's mum has it the wrong way around.Ā  btw my daughter never drinks tea or coffee and has no idea how to makeĀ decent brewĀ so I never actually get that cuppa. . .Ā 

17 hours ago, El Cid said:

Some parents on my facebook feed are contacting school to get them to allow children keep their mobiles.

They are confiscated for 48 hours if used in school. Any health or safety issue should go through the staff.

There has been an assault recently near a school, surely having a valuable mobile will increase crime.

There are some politicains that would love to ban mobile phones. What is going to win, in this mobile phone battle?

Having no mobile will be worse. Not every phone has to be expensive or valuable. I'd rather my child have any mobile than none at all.Ā  And not every schoolchild is a potential criminal either. If they all have phones that'd cut any crime rate surely. Nobody's going to 'win' in the mobile phone battle because there isn't a battle and it's simplyĀ progress. I'd hate to go back to 'the good old days' because for one thing, they weren't all that good and for another thing I'm 71 now and I love all the modern technology. Would hate to be without it.Ā 

1 hour ago, Padders said:

That happens every where , Padders , legs are now redundant to lots of people .Ā 

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

As owd as mi nooooase and a bit owder than mi teeth .

7 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

That happens every where , Padders , legs are now redundant to lots of people .Ā 

Ā 

Tell thi wat Cuttsie,

As we evolve, in a few years we will be born with a pouch under our ears, so as to insert the Mobile.

Ā 

Edited by Padders

14 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Ā 

As owd as mi nooooase and a bit owder than mi teeth .

šŸ˜

2 hours ago, Delbow said:

How understanding to age are you, exactly?

I think kids need to learn from an early age that there is a time and place for mobile phones. That starts in theĀ home. and parents need to be in charge, by restricting phone use to certain time slots during the day, until the child gets used to the idea that they are not allowed, say, during meal times, during homework periods and during family time. And not at school, although they can take them, at their own risk, and leave them in a lock up facility if necessary.

Ā 

There's nothing to stop secondary (or primary schools for that matter) having a couple of public phones in the school foyer for kids to contact parents should the need arise.

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think kids need to learn from an early age that there is a time and place for mobile phones. That starts in theĀ home. and parents need to be in charge, by restricting phone use to certain time slots during the day, until the child gets used to the idea that they are not allowed, say, during meal times, during homework periods and during family time. And not at school, although they can take them, at their own risk, and leave them in a lock up facility if necessary.

Ā 

There's nothing to stop secondary (or primary schools for that matter) having a couple of public phones in the school foyer for kids to contact parents should the need arise.

Hear hear Anna,

Please have a word with my Posh daughter, who lives in the millionaires row of Buckinghamshire. (thought I'dĀ just mention it)

Occasionally she visits me throughout the year, and stays the weekend.

So,

When I'm telling her a story, she listens intently, BUT when I get to the punchline Brrring Brrring her phone does one.

I cease to exist..

I swear to god that one day I'm going to do a Basil Faulty on it.

Ā TKids and mobile phones and other devices are a bloody nightmare in my experience. Our granddaughter who lives with us got her first one when starting secondary school last year. She dropped it and smashed the screen in less than a week. We replaced it and thatā€™s when the fun really started. Most parents seem to be oblivious or donā€™t care what their kids have access to online. They donā€™t realise how insidious things like TikTok really are, or the consequences of what their kids are posting and re posting. I discovered during a chat with a teacher that TikTok in particular was the bane of her life, I also discovered the existence of a kind of kids sex offender register. We donā€™t allow our granddaughter access to any social media but it doesnā€™t stop her friends sending videos sourced from social media. One which was sent to her from a 10 year old was footage from a court case in the US of a bloke describing how he gave oral sex to another man. The 10 year olds parents are nice people who we know so we had a quiet word and showed them the video. They confiscated the phone as punishment but gave in to pester power as the kid was back online later in the day. I know we could get a cheap phone without any bells and whistles but try giving a kid anything other than a smart phone and you might as well write ā€œBully me!ā€on their back. Itā€™s all an absolute mine field.