Do Children Need A Mobile

15 hours ago, Isabellahow said:

It's 2022, many useful things are already digital and you can keep them in your phone, it's more a necessity rather then a caprice. Kids need to have their phone, I can contact them whenever I need or want, this is why I am buying this particular phone for my kid. There are tons of ways to restrict kids access to browsers, youtube videos games and other stuff during lessons. It's not necessary to take the phone away from kids during school, I need to be informed how my kid feels and if he have a problem or any other thing that should be shared with me firstly, I should know about it. Don't understand this trend to take phone from kids in school

I take it you've never worked in a school. They are the bane of teachers' lives, causing no end of problems.

They're expensive. What about when it gets lost, stolen or broken? Kids aren't always the most responsible of people because they're kids, behaving as kids do. Teachers cannot take responsibility for their phones all the time. 

You seem to think it's OK to contact them whenever you want to - Is it OK to interupt the kids' lessons with your phone call? Remember if one is allowed to take phone calls, they will all want to do so, that'll be fun in a class of 30 kids.

And I'm sure your kids can inform you 'about how they feel' after school, at home. Is it really necessary to be in contact 24 hours a day. What about teaching a little independence, and learning how to deal with problems themselves, (or with the teacher acting in loco parentis.)

Bearing in mind that schools use interactive white boards and computer technology to enhance lessons all the time and therefore have no wish to block signals, what actual ways do you suggest to restrict access, other than taking them off pupils, (which has its own problems, especially when moving classrooms between every lessons. Very time consuming)

If they have them on their person during lessons, I promise you some kids will use them, texting under the desk, watching tiktok etc. even when forbidden.  As I said earlier, some kids are addicted to them, and will physically fight (a teacher) to keep them even when caught, it's the nature of addiction.

So, what are the 'tons of ways to restrict access' while still being able to contact them whenever you like?

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

We are all becoming accustomed to relying on computers in our everyday life, but soon youngsters will be physically unable to do without them.  

None of us can do with out them, from banking to sat nav.

Using a Google maps is lazy, it is better for our brains to learn the routes. With the aid of Google I can plan my own pension; perhaps the problem is, that some people dont even know how to Google?

We need to acept what we cannot change, but try to make peoples lives better.

Just now, El Cid said:

None of us can do with out them, from banking to sat nav.

Using a Google maps is lazy, it is better for our brains to learn the routes. With the aid of Google I can plan my own pension; perhaps the problem is, that some people dont even know how to Google?

We need to acept what we cannot change, but try to make peoples lives better.

Which is why I worry about Cyber attacks, which are already happening.

Future wars will be cyber wars, which will devastate lives, but keep expensive real estate intact. All our Utilities and infrastructures are controlled by computers. When they go, we go.

It will also be a useful way of keeping control of the population. - Do as you're told or Computer says no.... 

We are walking into yet another nightmare scenario.