Do Children Need A Mobile

Some parents on my facebook feed are contacting school to get them to allow children keep their mobiles.

They are confiscated for 48 hours if used in school. Any health or safety issue should go through the staff.

There has been an assault recently near a school, surely having a valuable mobile will increase crime.

There are some politicains that would love to ban mobile phones. What is going to win, in this mobile phone battle?

It's a dilemma I'm glad I don't have to deal with.

If kids have the phones on them in lessons they will use them. Probably under the desk, but they destroy concentration and attention to the lesson in hand. 

If you get them to hand them in it causes all sorts of disruption too, and there's always some smart alec who will try to dodge the rule. 

I also understand it from the parents side, they worry constantly about their children. But personally I would worry more about their children spoiling their education with phones. 

I presume that the parents who are in favour with their kids having 24/7 access to everything and sundry are the same as those that annoy me in hospitals, aircraft, doctors surgeries, dentists etc. This ain’t about change to suit someone who grew up without access to a telephone, but I’m pleased that somewhere along the line I acquired good manners.

No they don't, and definitely not in school. My teenager has one but he doesn't take it school, and he doesn't use it a lot in general. Mostly he uses it to listen to music and WhatsApp his mates. It's handy if he's out with his mates and he wants to stay out longer cos we can sort that all by text. That's about it.

Depends ‘which’ children, ie. depends on their context.

Our kid needs one, because both her timetable and time/travel commitments and ours (Mrs L00b’s and mine) can change at short-notice.

There’s no ‘phone-at-school’ problem. Use in (during) class and the smartphone gets confiscated until end of class (not 48 hours, that strikes me as needlessly dangerous: what if the kid needs their phone in an emergency on their way home?). Schools here also supply iPads for tuition, used both in class and at home.

1 hour ago, L00b said:

Depends ‘which’ children, ie. depends on their context.

Our kid needs one, because both her timetable and time/travel commitments and ours (Mrs L00b’s and mine) can change at short-notice.

There’s no ‘phone-at-school’ problem. Use in (during) class and the smartphone gets confiscated until end of class (not 48 hours, that strikes me as needlessly dangerous: what if the kid needs their phone in an emergency on their way home?). Schools here also supply iPads for tuition, used both in class and at home.

Parents being able to contact their children and ascertain where they are is very important,  as is children being able to contact parents.  Safety is paramount,  also if a health emergency occurs.

Does any one need a mobile phone , I see people walking into gas lamps , getting run ore . ignoring friends , neighbours , because they are on a daft app on the phone , others are talking loudly you can hear them across a road . I have just this morning heard a lass giving a running commentary on the shops she is passing and describing a dog to some one on the other end , Who needs it .

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Parents being able to contact their children and ascertain where they are is very important,  as is children being able to contact parents.  Safety is paramount,  also if a health emergency occurs.

The 'emergency' which started this local panic has now been declared a false alarm by the police.

Some young child made a false allegation, which set off the parents.

Parents should listen/support to the school, not the school children.

https://westleedsdispatch.com/2100-sign-petition-over-school-mobile-phone-policy-amid-safety-concerns/

If you Google, similar issues are happening at schools all around the country.

4 minutes ago, El Cid said:

The 'emergency' which started this local panic has now been declared a false alarm by the police.

Some young child made a false allegation, which set off the parents.

Parents should listen/support to the school, not the school children.

https://westleedsdispatch.com/2100-sign-petition-over-school-mobile-phone-policy-amid-safety-concerns/

If you Google, similar issues are happening at schools all around the country.

I suppose that the plus is false alarms can be made a lot quicker if kids carry mobiles.

When children are at a certain age where they can go off out without an adult then I would say a mobile phone is an excellent safety back up.

Younger children at primary and junior school are usually taken and picked up by an adult  ..................

Older children at senior school,  I would think almost all of them have a mobile (  if they want one )

As far as I know pupils at senior schools all have lockers therefore it should be mandatory that all pupils put their phones in their lockers at the start of school and retrieved at the end of school.  There should be no reason for the pupil to need their phone during lesson time.  Pupils not abiding by the school rules should have the phone confiscated until the end of the school day and maybe get a detention.    Older children can get into silly and sometimes serious predicaments so yes I would say ..... these days why shouldn't they have one, even if it's only for peace of mind.

Kids and mobiles,  they can be used as toys, weapons (bullying)  or an emergany essential ,  refering to the thread title,  weighing up the pros and cons, it's a difficult one. :huh: