Gleadless Road - Blitz Damage

This is a long shot as is said !

My grandparents Tom and Lily Robinson were living at 279 Gleadless Road at the time of the Blitz

In 2 of the houses opposite no's 356 & 358 there were 2 fatalities due a bomb strike,  Arthur Jenkinson at 358 and William Wallace at 356

I am interested if possible to find what damage was caused to my grandparents house

I can't ever recall and I have just contacted an older cousin, any family conversation relating to damage caused

By a remote chance are then any descendants out there of those 2 lads who were killed

Can't help you I'm afraid but I do remember my mother telling me that, the lady who worked in the paybox at Heeley Green Cinema, (who I knew, but didn't know her name),

went back home after an air raid and found her home in ruins and family member/members had been killed. 

I knew the area of the strike because friends of my Mum's later moved into the third house above it.

It doesn't help with your quest but i thought you might like to know about it.

Edited by Organgrinder

There was a bomb crater ?? (spelling) in the woods behind Carlton club . us kids played in it and used it for sledging in winter .

My ma said that when it dropped our house on Gleadless Crescent a half mile away shook on  its foundations .

Just to add to my post

In the book Memories of the Sheffield Blitz in Heeley and thereabouts compiled by the Heeley History Workshop

on page 23 there is a photo of the location today

Thanks Organgrinder and cuttsie for your contributions

Edited by Runningman
Added text