Robin Hood airport

Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield - what do you think?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield - what do you think?

• Great name
    • It's ok
    • No way!
    • Not bothered as long I get to Majorca from there

I'm still reeling about East Midlands Airport changing it's name to Nottingham East Midlands Airport. The bloody thing's in Leicestershire.

Fact...Nottingham (east midlands) was changed to Notts as internationals didn;t have a clue where the E-midlands was.

Most yanks have seen Robin Hood prince of theives and hence associate it with Notts.

Calling an airport near Sheffers Robin hood suurely isn't the best idea is it really.

Some people

After more consideration I've realised it's actually a rather shrewd decision. Look at all of the press coverage it has generated and all of the debates it has sparked. The name has caused a stir and brought about much publicity, which has in turn put Sheffield (and Doncaster) in the spotlight. Any publicity is good publicity afterall...

And at least 'Sheffield' is mentioned in the name, something to give the city some more international recognition - which will be helpful if Sheffield wants to become a leading European city.

Personally, I think it is quite a clever choice of name for it is going to be instantly recognisable for people abroad. These are the people we need to attract to the region if we want South Yorkshire to continue to prosper as an important region of Europe.

As for us at home, let's be honest, we are going to end up calling it 'Doncaster/Sheffield' or 'Sheffield International' Airport just like we refer to Liverpool or Leeds/Bradford Airports.

Am I not right?:)

Originally posted by t020

After more consideration I've realised it's actually a rather shrewd decision. Look at all of the press coverage it has generated and all of the debates it has sparked. The name has caused a stir and brought about much publicity, which has in turn put Sheffield (and Doncaster) in the spotlight. Any publicity is good publicity afterall...

That's exactly what they said on Look North. It is of my opinion that if you think of Robin Hood you automatically think of Nottingham, so surely anyone from abroad might now get confused with "Nottingham" Airport?

Maybe that's part of the idea!

Originally posted by Sidla

That's exactly what they said on Look North. It is of my opinion that if you think of Robin Hood you automatically think of Nottingham, so surely anyone from abroad might now get confused with "Nottingham" Airport?

It gets even more confusing that that! Now East Midlands Airport is called Nottingham Airport, the existing Nottingham Tollerton airfield is suffering an identity crisis!

...It should have been the Joe Cocker up where I belong International Eagleport...........:cool:

I think whatever they name it, locals will call it Finningley anyway. I know I do.

Robin Hood is known worldwide and is a high profile regional cultural figure.

Doncaster is where the airport is technically, but Donny doesn't have a high profile abroad, it is normal to name airports after the nearest big city, which in this case is Sheffield.

Nottingham East Mids airport is nowhere near Nottingham, yet they still call it that. And look at some of the airports Ryanair fly to - an hours journey from the city they are named after!

At the end of the day, the name is designed to identify the area to foreign visitors, which it achieves.

Name doesn't exactly trip off the tongue very easily though.....

I'm more for Sheffield Airport. coz it's for Sheffield and i don't really care about anything else than Sheffield. If a flight goes abroad we are intelligent enough to know it's an International Airport, so you can save money one those letters too. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just got back from holiday and spotted this one, complete nonsense for a name.

May as well call it the Full Monty Airport (FMA)

Some management consultant probably got paid shed loads of money to come up with that name.:loopy: