Robin Hood airport

Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield - what do you think?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield - what do you think?

• Great name
    • It's ok
    • No way!
    • Not bothered as long I get to Majorca from there

It is an absolutely stupid name. Who do these researchers talk to when deciding the name? Did they conduct any polls amongst the general public of South Yorkshire to try to get some kind of consensus, or did they just go straight ahead and have a brainstorming session and then pick the most ridiculous name there is?

You're missing the point. It's not about what people in South Yorkshire think in the slightest - and quite right too. They all know where it is and what it is, and quite frankly will use it anyway, regardless of what it's called. I use Liverpool John Lennon Airport even though it has an even more stupid name - but I fly from and to Liverpool!

It's really about that ordinary bloke in the Congo that's got a deal on with a firm in Sheffield to supply steel to his brother in laws bicycle factory. He's the one who needs to know and remember the name - hence Robin Hood.

I agree that its a daft name though, and I reckon it will shortly be shortened from Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport to the slightly more succinct and recognisable name of... Sheffield Airport. That's a proper name for an international airport (man in Congo say "where the hell is Doncaster?").

Peel Holdings are just keeping Doncaster Council happy for a year or two - they arent stupid!

Long live Sheffield Airport!

Absolutely disgraceful!

Robin Hood is associated criminal activities in Sherwood Forest associated with Nottingham. WTF has Sheffield it to do with it, there airport failed miserably.

The airport is in Finningley, Doncaster so why not call it Doncaster, Finningley Airport!

Would you call Manchester Airport “Moors Murderers Chorley, Airport” or Leeds Bradford, “Nora Batty Sutcliff Airport? I think not.

Originally posted by markham

A bit like calling Munich airport 'RUMPELSTILSKIN AIRPORT'

Hilarious :D

I agree...funny name. Maybe people in the UK think of Robin Hood as a serious real live historical person...but to the majority of the world he's either an animated Disney fox or Kevin Costner :) hmmm who else..maybe Errol Flynn or Cary Elwes.

Yea... they are good examples.

Manchester Airport... Formerly known as Ringway... located in another county - Cheshire, 9 miles from Manchester (in a straight line).

Leeds Bradford Airport... Formerly known as Yeadon, located 8 miles from Leeds, 7 from Bradford (in a straight line).

Sheffield Airport (sorry Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport) Formerly known as Finningley located 19 miles from Sheffield.

Let's be honest it, no-one knows where Donny in the outside world. Airports have to be recognised by people who don't know or care about the local geography.

As for the Robin Hood bit - Peel Holdings (a great, succesful property co' incidently) have a bit of a rep' for silly names - like John Lennon Airport :).

Personally, I think it's bloody disgraceful. There will be many of the "what's in a name" viewpoint, but I think it's very important. This is a proud county, with a history of standing firm despite being dumped on, and we're letting it happen again. Surely there was something relevant to Yorkshire that could have had a mention? The debate that the spinners are trying to ignite about Robin Hood being from round here is academic, and patronising. Rightly or wrongly, any schoolkid will tell you that Robin Hood was from Nottingham.

I feel strongly about this. Unlike Peel, I'm proud of where I live, and think that a wonderful opportunity like Finningley should not be ashamed of it's surroundings.

I quite like it.

Robin Hood's a folk hero, it's not a bad thing for our tourist industry to spark the "he's from here debate". It's one worth having if only to get a few more fat americans coming along and spending some of their cash to see The Robin Hood Pub for example...

I was opposed to the idea of calling it Sheffield airport - that would have been totally wrong and utterly indefensable.

In fact I'm dissapointed that this idea of calling it Sheffield airport was ever considered. It suggests there's a grain of truth in Toby's objection that they're ashamed of where it is located. In fact I think this is what's caused the bad feeling and if they'd suggested this new name in the first place I think most people wouldn't have minded at all.

i can think of a few classic names that would work far more effectively

ee bi gum international

steel city international

jenson button, jan wilson, not far t'pits international.

i could go on but i shalln't. full credit nora batty, what a quality name for an airport.

basically - when heathrow was built it would have beggared belief to call it that; why not West London or something to that tune. Heathrow sounds cooooool.......... its all about where you say you fly from, like what car you drive. Its a marketing push in some ways. I can see why they chose Robin Hood - its so different that its got people talking already. We are promoting them for them - saving heavy duty promotion push.

Personally i'd call it ''Better than the M1 in rush hour International Airport'' but hey that would only appeal to my funky captive audience of daily irritated drivers!!

Finningley would have worked, just like Sheffield International will once Catcliffe site redefines its site as ''Sheffield Heliport'' or the likes.

Sorry but Donny is seen as a joke by many - lets be honest, can you suggest why any sane european would want to sleazyjet in from Madrid or Nice to check out the delights of Doncaster's vibrant scenic and social life..................rest my case

WOO HOO SHEFFIELD FINNINGLEY INTERNATIONAL (Doncaster)

oh and PS i wasnt present at the inquiries into its location, nor the discussion with management of the other regional airports of East Mids, Leeds/Braford (Nora Batty), Liverpool or Manchester........... but i can bet with some degree of certainty that the biggest concern was for the loss of their customers to SF Int. with regards Sleazy Easyjet.

On that basis - don't get too excited at expecting EJ.com to march its heavy weight feet through the door just yet. Not at least until the airport is fully established and been running a few years with a feasible infrastructure. Expect Airtours, British Midland, FlyBE, and Futura.

Robin Hood airport - pants name.

Should just be South Yorkshire Airport. after all that is where it is going to, not Nottinghamshire. Confusions will occur.

Well chalicefc3 you have never been to Donny for a night out then, something half of Yorkshire has done, Becauls its so good. What about the Mallard! or Flying Scottsman! Finningley itself! Donny has a lot to offer just becauls a few ignerent locals dont know about it dose not mean it has nothing going for it. The obvious name is Doncaster Finningley Airport. Its in Finningley that is in Doncaster that is in South Yorkshire for thosr who do not know Ps the football team have just been promoted also!

Originally posted by fuzzy

Robin Hood airport - pants name.

Should just be South Yorkshire Airport. after all that is where it is going to, not Nottinghamshire. Confusions will occur.

I'm intrigued by this. What confusions could possibly occur? If 'planes were like buses I could just about imagine our friend in The Congo jumping on one thinking he was going to Nottingham, but they're not.

It's an airport, 'planes fly into it and out of it, the names immaterial, imo.