Jump to content

81 & 82 Bus Routes To/From Stannington

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

On what basis have you tried them all or have you conducted robust research?

is Hillsborough Corner one of the problems? sorry not convinced the trams seem to manage OK. Yes I agree at certain times there may be a build up of trafic but not an all day thing. Certainly agree cross city does not help but bear in mind  these buses often have 5 minute or so catch up time

Hillsborough corner can be an issue as they are having to queue from sometimes all the way to the bottom of stannington road then there's obviously ecclesall road, I'm sure all that can add more than 5 minutes to the route. Obviously they can't really use that excuse outside of rush hours.

The trams get priority so they generally shouldn't have issues. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Hillsborough corner can be an issue as they are having to queue from sometimes all the way to the bottom of stannington road then there's obviously ecclesall road, I'm sure all that can add more than 5 minutes to the route. Obviously they can't really use that excuse outside of rush hours.

The trams get priority so they generally shouldn't have issues. 

Unless you have not noticed the trams can not overtake the buses (apart from at the one bus stop) so the trams have little advantage whatsoever out of Malin Bridge they are stuck in the same jam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this insistance on cross-city routes stopped and the bus companies pushed passengers into using interchanges like they used to then I reckon services would be much better. It's the crossing of the city and having long routes that causes traffic to be such an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigAl1 said:

Unless you have not noticed the trams can not overtake the buses (apart from at the one bus stop) so the trams have little advantage whatsoever out of Malin Bridge they are stuck in the same jam.

 out of Malin bridge not so much but they get priority at the corner going towards Malin and there's not so much traffic that way as well as the parts that are just tram tracks and priority at all lights unless there's a reason they have to stop at them.

Like I say it's only really 7:30-9:30 and 1600-1800 ish where traffic can be blamed for the 81/82 being late, between that they can't really use it. Should only run into town like it did before, that be would help as in rush hour it wouldn't surprise me if they can run upto 30 minutes late with traffic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think all these bus problems would have been solved years ago if the Supertram had been allowed to go straight through Hillsborough and up to Stannington village and back again.

Often Supertrams  cruise through Hillsborough corner , past the bus stop with passengers waiting for a bus, and the Supertram is nearly always empty of passengers,to finish up at the terminus at Malin Bridge. They then turn round and come back again. What a waste of time !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, peteh1 said:

Having bus routes that cross the city rather than terminate and then return from the centre simply compounds any issues that arise from the double (or more) chances of congestion either side of the centre.

Will give bustimes.org a try though, thanks.

Often thought the same about trams . A delayed tram at Hillsborough leads to a delayed tram at Halfway and subsequent delays.Why not turn them round at the cathedral for the return journey?

1 hour ago, Resident said:

If this insistance on cross-city routes stopped and the bus companies pushed passengers into using interchanges like they used to then I reckon services would be much better. It's the crossing of the city and having long routes that causes traffic to be such an issue. 

Agreed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I do think all these bus problems would have been solved years ago if the Supertram had been allowed to go straight through Hillsborough and up to Stannington village and back again.

Often Supertrams  cruise through Hillsborough corner , past the bus stop with passengers waiting for a bus, and the Supertram is nearly always empty of passengers,to finish up at the terminus at Malin Bridge. They then turn round and come back again. What a waste of time !

That was the plan but the NIMBYs  on stannington road didn't want it, that's what I was told anyway. The SL2 a good option but it's a shame it wasn't used, I always waited for that and got tram if I wanted to get to town.

Edited by NERVY-OWL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pattricia said:

I would class it as the worst bus route in Sheffield. ! 

The X78 is the worst bus route in Sheffield

 

There are buses in the Amazon rain forest that are more reliable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NERVY-OWL said:

 out of Malin bridge not so much but they get priority at the corner going towards Malin and there's not so much traffic that way as well as the parts that are just tram tracks and priority at all lights unless there's a reason they have to stop at them.

Like I say it's only really 7:30-9:30 and 1600-1800 ish where traffic can be blamed for the 81/82 being late, between that they can't really use it. Should only run into town like it did before, that be would help as in rush hour it wouldn't surprise me if they can run upto 30 minutes late with traffic.

Still disagree with you given the tram gate operates at busy times the buses and trams both have priority 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Often thought the same about trams . A delayed tram at Hillsborough leads to a delayed tram at Halfway and subsequent delays.Why not turn them round at the cathedral for the return journey?

Agreed 

Much better to run a well timetabled network. For a while yellow trams had long turnaround times at Hillsborough about 9 minutes thus outgoing trams not delayed and you did not need to stand in the cold if you missed one. A simple solution crew love it cause time for a smoke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, BigAl1 said:

Still disagree with you given the tram gate operates at busy times the buses and trams both have priority 

the bus gates don't operate during the afternoon school run which seems to be the biggest issue.

 

Outside these times I imagine the issues on the 81/82 are probably more on the Ecclesall Road side of town.

20 hours ago, Resident said:

If this insistance on cross-city routes stopped and the bus companies pushed passengers into using interchanges like they used to then I reckon services would be much better. It's the crossing of the city and having long routes that causes traffic to be such an issue. 

A few years ago First did split the route in the City Centre to improve reliability and there was uproar so the cross-city links were reinstated.

19 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Often thought the same about trams . A delayed tram at Hillsborough leads to a delayed tram at Halfway and subsequent delays.Why not turn them round at the cathedral for the return journey?

Agreed 

The problem is Cathedral isn't where many of the passengers from the Halfway end want to be - a lot travel to University/hospitals area and of course most of Sheffield's shopping is now on the Moor and the West Street stop is the closest. In the evening a lot of people now go to the Kelham Island area to eat/drink and utilise the direct service to Shalesmoor.

Edited by Andy C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Andy C said:

The problem is Cathedral isn't where many of the passengers from the Halfway end want to be - a lot travel to University/hospitals area and of course most of Sheffield's shopping is now on the Moor and the West Street stop is the closest. In the evening a lot of people now go to the Kelham Island area to eat/drink and utilise the direct service to Shalesmoor

Indeed. The idea of turning the trams round at Cathedral would be a complete non starter and probably do little to improve things as there would be limited dwell time.  Like I said a sensible timetable is all that is needed which I am afraid is beyond Stagecoach but who know national Express might have some ideas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.