Trastrick you just described most of the houses I knew as a kid 😂. Did you have a gas geyser in the kitchen and electrical appliances that could only be used in certain rooms because of a mix of old round pin and new square pin sockets? Back on topic, my nan used to make the best apple pie ever. She had a weird old gas stove which was grey and the knobs were like keys which had to be lifted before you could turn them. (Though I was threatened with a clout if I touched them) She made her pies on those old tin plates that were enamelled white with a blue rim and they were bloody lovely.

1 hour ago, Jim117 said:

Trastrick you just described most of the houses I knew as a kid 😂. Did you have a gas geyser in the kitchen and electrical appliances that could only be used in certain rooms because of a mix of old round pin and new square pin sockets? Back on topic, my nan used to make the best apple pie ever. She had a weird old gas stove which was grey and the knobs were like keys which had to be lifted before you could turn them. (Though I was threatened with a clout if I touched them) She made her pies on those old tin plates that were enamelled white with a blue rim and they were bloody lovely.

No we never had a gas geyser in those day. The old range heated a cistern in an upstairs bedroom cupboard, but never seemed to work properly.

We only had one  2 pin outlet in the whole house, and that was for the wireless.

We took the light bulb out of the ceiling light to plug in what few "appliance" we had, although I cant recall what they were. Maybe the electric drill. The flat iron was heated on the hob.

But my gran made the best apple pastie, and rhubarb too.  Never tasted owt like it, and my mom was never a baker so the recipe was lost when granma died.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I was telling a local hustler down here, the only thing I missed about home were 2 things you can't get here. Guinness and apple pie.

He swore he knew how to make one, so for a laugh, I said go ahead. A couple of days later he showed up in the pub with two baking tins of pie.  I was a bit leery of eating them, but tried it, and, WOW granma's apple pie! Same taste and texture. I asked him what he put into it, and he said simple, flour, water, salt, green apples and sugar, nothing else.

I guess simple is the secret, just like granma's, no spices, creams, cinnamon, tinned apple, and whatever else they put into them nowadays!

Edited by trastrick

10 hours ago, trastrick said:

No we never had a gas geyser in those day. The old range heated a cistern in an upstairs bedroom cupboard, but never seemed to work properly.

We only had one  2 pin outlet in the whole house, and that was for the wireless.

We took the light bulb out of the ceiling light to plug in what few "appliance" we had, although I cant recall what they were. Maybe the electric drill. The flat iron was heated on the hob.

But my gran made the best apple pastie, and rhubarb too.  Never tasted owt like it, and my mom was never a baker so the recipe was lost when granma died.

Fast forward to a few months ago, and I was telling a local hustler down here, the only thing I missed about home were 2 things you can't get here. Guinness and apple pie.

He swore he knew how to make one, so for a laugh, I said go ahead. A couple of days later he showed up in the pub with two baking tins of pie.  I was a bit leery of eating them, but tried it, and, WOW granma's apple pie! Same taste and texture. I asked him what he put into it, and he said simple, flour, water, salt, green apples and sugar, nothing else.

I guess simple is the secret, just like granma's, no spices, creams, cinnamon, tinned apple, and whatever else they put into them nowadays!

Yeah I reckon that just about nails it. My nans pies had actual big slices of apple in them, not like the shop bought ones that always have a crappy baby food purée in them. The only spice she used was a sprinkle of sugar on the top. They didn’t need preservatives either as between me, my dad and my grandad they were scoffed within a day of making.😂 She also made my dads favourite which was a cake/loaf which had dates and walnuts in it. I dunno if that’s actually a thing or if she just made it for him.

9 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Yeah I reckon that just about nails it. My nans pies had actual big slices of apple in them, not like the shop bought ones that always have a crappy baby food purée in them. The only spice she used was a sprinkle of sugar on the top. They didn’t need preservatives either as between me, my dad and my grandad they were scoffed within a day of making.😂 She also made my dads favourite which was a cake/loaf which had dates and walnuts in it. I dunno if that’s actually a thing or if she just made it for him.

Yes my mother made those, date and walnut cake my mother called it. We bought one the other week and it was like eating putty, horrible. My mother also made steamed rolly polly puddings with home made custard. My mouth is beginning to water so I will stop.

Edited by Kidorry
added text

What about the Yorkshires , That Sunday tradition , The stories told about oven doors flying open cause my mams Yorkshire is the best in the World , And my old ma's was .

My ma wasn't a cook. But on a Sunday she'd always pour a pudding mix in the roast pan, but never serve it.

We used to have to go to the oven and get it out, and she'd always protest it was either burned or "sad".

But that didn't stop us from scraping out the best part.

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

Yes my mother made those, date and walnut cake my mother called it. We bought one the other week and it was like eating putty, horrible. My mother also made steamed rolly polly puddings with home made custard. My mouth is beginning to water so I will stop.

Jam rolly polly with custard. Forgot about that.

Only ever got that at school dinners and it was my favorite. Never had it since!

Edited by trastrick

The best pie my mother made was a fruit pie (summer). It consisted of fresh strawberry, gooseberry and billberry (first two from our Rivelin allotment) and was an inch and a half thick in the middle, topped with plenty custard made with milk.

Back to the off-topic, my ex-council 2 bed still has the cast iron fireplace in the big bedroom. When we moved in back in the 70s, the Council had just removed the small range in the kitchen. The sink was a deep Belfast type, one end was supported by a projecting brick from the wall, the other with an iron leg. One 15 amp round-pin socket at side of cooker.