My old ma made the best tarts Sheffield has ever seen , 

Jam tarts , Lemon curd tarts , apple tarts .

She baked em in the old Yorkshire range oven , The coal fire would  be roring up the chimney summer or winter so as the hot plate in the oven was glowing .

The baking tin was a burnt black piece of metal 18 inches square with 18 tart indents each with a shell patern on the bottom .

The doe was mixed in in a big pot clay bowl ,the bowl was its self cracked , chipped and worn from years of potato pie, bread and fancy cake mix, 

The tin baking tray was already hot when she dolloped the doe into the tray holes then laired in the strawberry or rasberry jam..

No set time was  involved , the process all depended upon the heat in the oven , The polished steel door was opened and shut many times by my Ma who watched those tarts like a hawk watches a field mouse .

She knew exactly when the time had come to get those tars out of the oven and did so by using an old towel its self burnt and scorched from countless use on the hot oven plates '

The tarts were then deposited to the cold slab in the corner pantry to cool.

"Don't  thee dare touch them " she would warn me and our Allen with a look that would kill .

But the warning often went unheeded , the temptation to great ,and the clout around the ear hole worth it as we sampled the lovely crumbling pastry with the slightly burn edges and spilling over jam of those far off days ..

they were good them old ranges,mums make great home made food in those days,the only takeaway was the odd chinese or good old dripping cooked fish/chips

They don't make tarts how they used to basset, Now't like a cuppa Ringtons tea followed by a tart on a plate .

It's dough cuttsie, dough!

Doe is a deer that might or might not be female (unless it decides otherwise)

Hmmm... :huh:

I find that a good old nibble on a Bakewell tart is still every bit as satisfying as it's always been... :heyhey:

I loved my mothers baked custard which she did in the yorkshire pudding dish with the high sides.

My Mum's were the same and mince tarts too

Never had owt from a shop that tastes anything near.

Edited by Organgrinder

47 minutes ago, carosio said:

It's dough cuttsie, dough!

Doe is a deer that might or might not be female (unless it decides otherwise)

I  n0 but I went to the Price Edward school of rapid learning and that involved being hit on the back of a hand while the teacher Gratton the fascist said "its spelt like it sounds Cuttsie" so to this day its spelt like it sounds doe .

30 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I  n0 but I went to the Price Edward school of rapid learning and that involved being hit on the back of a hand while the teacher Gratton the fascist said "its spelt like it sounds Cuttsie" so to this day its spelt like it sounds doe .

I'm not sure that's always true, Mr Kutzy! :roll:

3 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

I'm not sure that's always true, Mr Kutzy! :roll:

Its far from true , but that is what our teacher once said to me ,"Its spelt like its said " can you imagine how that effects a young education .

Well cuttsie when I saw the heading I thought we were in for a discussion about loose women!

Imagine my disappointment but apparently that word in connection with the ladies was originally a compliment and perhaps a shortening of sweetheart. It later became used as a  derogatory remark.

As far as pastry is concerned everyone is right. The mums of yesteryear certainly knew how to bake and cook using simple wholesome ingredients and the taste could not be bettered. In her later years my mum always used to bring round jam/lemon tarts and mince pies on Christmas Day when having dinner here.  When she stopped baking I knew something was wrong.

The key to a perfect Yorkshire pudding was to make the batter the day before; leave it overnight on the cellar head; get the metal pan with dripping in it so hot that it smoked in the range oven and then pour the batter in. Perfect results every time.

echo.