M.2 Nvme And Ssd Speeds

I have my pc running a m.2 nvme on a pcie add on card is this going to be slower or faster than a standard ssd through sata any help appreciated thanks

37 minutes ago, Hans-solo said:

I have my pc running a m.2 nvme on a pcie add on card is this going to be slower or faster than a standard ssd through sata any help appreciated thanks

It depends on what type of slot the pcie card is in and whether it is a pcie x3 or pcie x4 motherboard. There are also 4 pcie slot types, x1, x4, x8, x16 with x16 generally used for graphics cards. Anything from x4 will be much faster. 

As above, so many factors. It's easy to say yes due to it being an NVMe. But without knowing all the geeky bits, it's hard to say.

Just grab the free speed testers and have a look   https://crystalmark.info/en/

3 hours ago, Hans-solo said:

I have my pc running a m.2 nvme on a pcie add on card is this going to be slower or faster than a standard ssd through sata

Have you done any speed comparison tests yet?

From my experience, a modern NVMe drive that is directly attached to a motherboard's M.2 NVMe slot is as much as 4 times faster than a standard SSD drive on a 6Gb/s SATA3 port.

Of course, your setup is different as your NVMe drive is going through a PCIe slot first, which is not something I've used.

Anyway, you've reminded me about a similar upgrade I did for someone when I upgraded their PC  from a SATA SSD to an NVMe drive, which reduced boot time from an already reasonable 8 seconds down to just 2 seconds.

Congratulations! Your computer is now 4 times faster than before.

Wow! was the sarcastic reply.  It's 6 seconds faster than it was!  What an improvement to my life that will make!

Bloody ingrates 🙄

If you're needing an add-in card to run the M2 drives it sounds like the motherboard is kinda old anyway, so the performance different might not be all that huge.

14 hours ago, geared said:

If you're needing an add-in card to run the M2 drives it sounds like the motherboard is kinda old anyway, so the performance different might not be all that huge.

This is a good point.

Anything is only as good as it's weakest point. You could buy a top model X4 NVMe and put it in an old & slower slot or card, and it won't show what the drive is capable of, if it was put it the right hardware you'd see what I mean.

To sound like a broken record and repeat what Ghozer once said. Give us as much information as possible on the hardware and problem, and the more help we can give you.

It'll depend. My mobo is old and only supports PCIe x2 2.0 on the M2 socket, but I have a PCIe card in the gfx slot, so it's running at PCIe 3.0 x16, still not as fast as it can go but a damn site better than the onboard slot. Using onboard gfx as it's only a server.

5 hours ago, zach said:

This is a good point.

Anything is only as good as it's weakest point. You could buy a top model X4 NVMe and put it in an old & slower slot or card, and it won't show what the drive is capable of, if it was put it the right hardware you'd see what I mean.

To sound like a broken record and repeat what Ghozer once said. Give us as much information as possible on the hardware and problem, and the more help we can give you.

It doesn't sound like a problem, just wanted to know if the M2 was faster than Sata SSD.  You'd expect so, in theory, but on an older system it might not be something you'd notice.

From the sounds of it M2 is the current setup, so there's probs nothing worth changing.

4 hours ago, probedb said:

It'll depend. My mobo is old and only supports PCIe x2 2.0 on the M2 socket, but I have a PCIe card in the gfx slot, so it's running at PCIe 3.0 x16, still not as fast as it can go but a damn site better than the onboard slot. Using onboard gfx as it's only a server.

They are good. I use one in my main server. It'd be nice if I could fill it with 8TB NVMe's (bank says NO!) New toy here  https://www.gigabyte.com/Press/News/1924

Better base cards on the market but still decent speeds.

31 minutes ago, JeffryBr said:

O_O this one seems to be dope

Explain???