New Year Honours

9 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

How Nobel of us to help invade another country and murder around a million people in an illegal war. Oh and we paid our best ally for that. In blood, territory and in money. Its actually not that long ago since we finished paying our "best ally" the debt. 

Exactly as you say. Unlike the debt of billions owed us by Germany for the second world war which Douglas Hurd kindly let them of with. A pity our "best ally" didn't let us off the same way.

7 hours ago, West 77 said:

No British prime minister takes our country into a war without good reason.  It's far more complex than just the wmd's situation. 

BLAIR IS NO WAR CRIMINAL

Were there any wmd's? 

You know, the reason we invaded Iraq? 

4 hours ago, spilldig said:

Exactly as you say. Unlike the debt of billions owed us by Germany for the second world war which Douglas Hurd kindly let them of with. A pity our "best ally" didn't let us off the same way.

If forgotten about that. 

Very good point 👍

If you want to sign a petition to have the Knighthood rescinded then click the link below

It already has 400,000 signatures at the time of writing this comment

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-tony-blair-to-have-his-knight-companion-of-the-most-noble-order-of-the-garter-rescinded

cyAjUakbvkScmiz-800x450-noPad.jpg?164099

Edited by Jack Grey

1 minute ago, Jack Grey said:

If you want to sign a petition to have the Knighthood rescinded then click the link below

""Tony Blair caused irreparable damage to both the constitution of the United Kingdom and to the very fabric of the nation's society.""

In my opinion Johnson is doing more harm than Blair did, with the Government’s poisonous Elections bill is designed to cement Tory rule.

Blair brought in the freedom of information rules, good for democracy, which Johnson wants to downgrade.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/governments-poisonous-elections-bill-is-designed-to-cement-tory-rule/

Just now, El Cid said:

""Tony Blair caused irreparable damage to both the constitution of the United Kingdom and to the very fabric of the nation's society.""

In my opinion Johnson is doing more harm than Blair did, with the Government’s poisonous Elections bill is designed to cement Tory rule.

Blair brought in the freedom of information rules, good for democracy, which Johnson wants to downgrade.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/governments-poisonous-elections-bill-is-designed-to-cement-tory-rule/

Im ashamed to say that i voted for Blair (twice) and i supported the Iraq war

But we all now know that it was based on lies of WMDs which has cost the lives of millions of people globally

He should be in The Hague not be given a knighthood 

24 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Im ashamed to say that i voted for Blair (twice) and i supported the Iraq war

But we all now know that it was based on lies of WMDs which has cost the lives of millions of people globally

He should be in The Hague not be given a knighthood 

Along with his wife who pretends to defend the rights of the working class among other worthy causes while amassing a vast fortune from it all along with teflon Tony

A lot of protests about this. Been watching Jeremy Vine where this came up on the phone in. The majority of callers were against the award for Tony blair. Also noticed a petition online against it. Far from a popular decision.

Also think these 'honours' in general need another think.

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

A lot of protests about this. Been watching Jeremy Vine where this came up on the phone in. The majority of callers were against the award for Tony blair. Also noticed a petition online against it. Far from a popular decision.

Also think these 'honours' in general need another think.

It already has 400,000 signatures at the time of writing this comment

https://www.change.org/p/the-prime-minister-tony-blair-to-have-his-knight-companion-of-the-most-noble-order-of-the-garter-rescinded

Edited by Jack Grey

On 01/01/2022 at 21:08, The Joker said:

Don't forget that Saddam was also our ally.

Saddam also fought a war with  Iran, and Western powers gave Saddam miltary support including weapons and intelligence.

I think Le French even built him a nuclear reactor, and good old Sheffield supplied the barrel for his alleged Supergun.

Not as I recall. [edit: France certainly trained Iraqi scientists in civil nuclear tech, so did Germany, the UK and Japan at least].

But French subcontractors certainly built/assembled a sh*t ton of US-manufactured and US-supplied prefab hospitals and schools there, in the mid to late 80s.

Saddam wasn’t so much an “ally”, as an expedient geopolitical buffer against fundamentalist Muslims in the region.

It was a dangerous-ish place to work, in a “1930s Germany, don’t be a d*ck and mind the secret police and all will be well” kind of way, but people there didn’t seem that unhappy at the time, and standards of living were pretty good then (by western standards).

Edited by L00b

4 minutes ago, L00b said:

Not as I recall.

But French subcontractors certainly built/assembled a sh*t ton of US-manufactured and US-supplied prefab hospitals and schools there, in the mid to late 80s.

Saddam wasn’t so much an “ally”, as an expedient geopolitical buffer against fundamentalist Muslims in the region.

It was a dangerous-ish place to work, in a “1930s Germany, don’t be a d*ck and mind the secret police and all will be well” kind of way, but people there didn’t seem that unhappy at the time, and standards of living were pretty good then (by western standards).

I think that recent history has proved that it takes a tyrant to rule a country in the middle east

We shouldve just left them to it

Thats why im against any UK intervention in global conflicts in the future 

38 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I think that recent history has proved that it takes a tyrant to rule a country in the middle east

We shouldve just left them to it

Thats why im against any UK intervention in global conflicts in the future 

Would you have let Hitler take over other countries, like you would with Putin?

Its always difficult to know what to do.

1 minute ago, El Cid said:

Would you have let Hitler take over other countries, like you would with Putin?

Its always difficult to know what to do.

Hitler was different because of the threat of invasion 

However, i think we should build a relationship with Putin.....and China

As an independent nation there are no disadvantages to being friendly with them