New Year Honours

Just now, hauxwell said:

I’ve signed the petition to try and block Blair’s Knighthood, but I agree with Baron99  it won’t make any difference.  

The only way he won’t be knighted is if he refuses to except it and I can’t see him doing that.  

Of course he wont refuse it

I mean he ignored this didnt he

Just now, Jack Grey said:

Yes he did.  The man’s thick skinned.

Can anyone explain why Kate Garraway got a MBE?she said it wasn't for caring for her Derek but Journalism,is she that good?

Edited by ukdobby

Just now, ukdobby said:

Can anyone explain why Kate Garraway got a MBE?she said it wasn't caring for her Derek but Journalism,is she that good?

Dont even get me started on her 🙄

15 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

He did, and I think that has done a lot of long term damage because it undermined the power of protest. If that many people protest and it makes no difference, then why bother. I think it has led to more disruptive forms of protest such as those used by Extinction Rebellion, and the Tory response to those means that we all have fewer freedoms than before. Way to go Tony, you insufferable prick. Anyway, here's an article reminding us what an arse he is.

Also worth remembering this, given the current events in Kazakhstan

Edited by Delbow

21 hours ago, Anna B said:

Yes, it was always referred to as a 'Conflict.'

I believe legally that makes some sort of difference, so it may be relevant.

Am I right in thinking no civillians were killed in the Falklands?

Whereas over 200,000 civillians were killed in Iraq. 

There were very sadly three civilian deaths in the Falklands, caused by British naval gunfire.  The point you make however is entirely apt - the Falklands conflict was an entirely justified event with minimal impact on civilians and was necessary to liberate British nationals and British sovereign territory from an aggressive invader.

In total contradiction to our involvement in deposing Saddam Hussein, which was a personal grudge by the Bush administration and an opportunity for international posturing and aggrandizement for Blair.

Of course Tony Blair won't refuse a knighthood .......  Lady Muck his wife won't let him.

3 hours ago, Caswall said:

There were very sadly three civilian deaths in the Falklands, caused by British naval gunfire.  The point you make however is entirely apt - the Falklands conflict was an entirely justified event with minimal impact on civilians and was necessary to liberate British nationals and British sovereign territory from an aggressive invader.

In total contradiction to our involvement in deposing Saddam Hussein, which was a personal grudge by the Bush administration and an opportunity for international posturing and aggrandizement for Blair.

Those of us of a certain age will remember that less than a year before the Falklands Conflict Thatcher made the fateful decision to decommission the South Atlantic patrol vessel, HMS Endurance.

This was in spite of warnings from the Foreign Secretary, Lord Peter Carrington, and others  that this could prompt an Argentinian invasion of the Falklands.

'Lord Peter Carrington, foreign secretary, wrote in a letter to Sir John Nott, the defence secretary, in June 1981 that “any reduction [of military force in the region] would be interpreted by both the islanders and the Argentines as a reduction in commitment to the island and our willingness to defend them”.

He added that HMS Endurance, the Arctic icebreaker patrolling the area, “plays a vital role in both political and defence terms in the Falkland Islands” and should not be scrapped without a replacement being found.

The lightly armed Endurance was nonetheless scheduled to be decommissioned along with two other main aircraft carriers. Many historians consider the decision as a trigger for the invasion of the islands by the Argentinian military Junta in April 1982.

https://www.ft.com/content/8b21f420-2c93-11e1-aaf5-00144feabdc0

Had the Argentinians waited another couple of years to build up their fleet of Super Étendards, the Task Force would have been sunk and Thatcher would have been toast.

The Falklands were not worth one dead young person , Argentinian or British , It is just a insignificant little Island in the Atlantic that would gain significantly with better relations with it Argentine neighbour .

May be it is viewed as a possible oil exploration area or was at the time , if so then money was involved , Oil is no longer  the big deal it was back then so now the sheep on the Island once again rule the nest .

20 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The Falklands were not worth one dead young person , Argentinian or British , It is just a insignificant little Island in the Atlantic that would gain significantly with better relations with it Argentine neighbour .

May be it is viewed as a possible oil exploration area or was at the time , if so then money was involved , Oil is no longer  the big deal it was back then so now the sheep on the Island once again rule the nest .

Try convincing the Falklands Islanders of that.  They - as they have done for many generations - consider themselves to be nothing to do with Argentina, and have proven through overwhelming vote (and overwhelming refusal to accept significant financial offers form Argentina) - that they wish to remain British citizens.

Have you spent any time on the Falklands to develop your knowledge of it and arrive at your views on the place?