Opportunities To Speak French In Sheffield

I've been learning French with Duolingo for a while now and am probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate. The downside to Duolingo is that there isn't much opportunity to speak a language, so it would be great to be able to speak a bit of French with someone who is also learning, or who speaks it fluently but also wants to improve their English. I'm guessing a lot of face to face opportunities have gone on the back burner during Covid, does anyone have any good ideas of how I can speak French with someone please?

Thanks

12 hours ago, Delbow said:

I've been learning French with Duolingo for a while now and am probably somewhere between beginner and intermediate. The downside to Duolingo is that there isn't much opportunity to speak a language, so it would be great to be able to speak a bit of French with someone who is also learning, or who speaks it fluently but also wants to improve their English. I'm guessing a lot of face to face opportunities have gone on the back burner during Covid, does anyone have any good ideas of how I can speak French with someone please?

Thanks

I dont want to hijack your thread but would you recommend Duolingo?

Ive been wanting to learn Spanish and ive always thought that it was a bit of a novelty app

26 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I dont want to hijack your thread but would you recommend Duolingo?

Ive been wanting to learn Spanish and ive always thought that it was a bit of a novelty app

No problem. It's pretty good I think. I've only used the free version, which allows you five mistakes per day, meaning that sessions can last anything between 5 to 45 minutes depending on whether you're having a good day or not. It assesses your level at the beginning, although I found it started me off a bit too basic as I could remember a bit from school. Progress is presumably quicker if you pay for it and put more time in each day (you get unlimited mistakes).

26 minutes ago, Delbow said:

No problem. It's pretty good I think. I've only used the free version, which allows you five mistakes per day, meaning that sessions can last anything between 5 to 45 minutes depending on whether you're having a good day or not. It assesses your level at the beginning, although I found it started me off a bit too basic as I could remember a bit from school. Progress is presumably quicker if you pay for it and put more time in each day (you get unlimited mistakes).

Thanks 

I'll give it another look 👍

Have you thought of contacting the two universities and seeing if you can place an ad asking to their French students?

On 12/01/2022 at 11:48, Ambz said:

Hi Delbow, I saw this posted on my NextDoor feed this morning. 

https://nextdoor.co.uk/p/9-BRp9wGsNCc?utm_source=share&extras=MTc1OTIxOTQwMzI0OTY%3D

Looks like there is a club at Totley Brook 

Thanks - I'm miles from S17 though, and nextdoor is all about people you live near