Jonah The Whale.

Anyone else ?  .. with memories of,,   going along the bottom of  'The Moor'  somewhere opposite to where  Atkisons' is now - to take a look a huge whale on the back of a truck...  it was named Jonah and

I remember visiting with my dad - I'd be 9 or 10 years old.. so it would be around 1956.   

True enough because I remember seeing it although I can't pinpoint the year.

Jonah the whale in 1970 and in 2006.

This is how I remember the whale in the late 60's/ early 70's.

Never got off the trailer it was on, from what I can remember, and certainly didn.t look tall enough to walk through.

Don't recall any smell but do recall the thing was painted in some sort of bitumen. 

I think we saw it two consecutive years (?) both times on waste land opposite where the old Lewis Leather's shop used to be bottom of the Moor. (Definitely not as far up as Atkinsons)

See the source image

In this picture the bottom of the Moor has already seen some development, but the waste land would have been that to the right hand side, between the car going up and the bus coming down.

See the source image

Love this picture.

Sharpe's, Schofield's, Lewis Leathers, Joke shop, Thornton's, Isadore Newman (& I think a bookmakers?)

And my Dads Bentley driving past 🧐 (kidding :bigsmile:)

Happy Daze 8).

30 minutes ago, Rockers rule said:

Jonah the whale in 1970 and in 2006.

This is how I remember the whale in the late 60's/ early 70's.

Never got off the trailer it was on, from what I can remember, and certainly didn.t look tall enough to walk through.

Don't recall any smell but do recall the thing was painted in some sort of bitumen. 

I think we saw it two consecutive years (?) both times on waste land opposite where the old Lewis Leather's shop used to be bottom of the Moor. (Definitely not as far up as Atkinsons)

See the source image

In this picture the bottom of the Moor has already seen some development, but the waste land would have been that to the right hand side, between the car going up and the bus coming down.

See the source image

Love this picture.

Sharpe's, Schofield's, Lewis Leathers, Joke shop, Thornton's, Isadore Newman (& I think a bookmakers?)

And my Dads Bentley driving past 🧐 (kidding :bigsmile:)

Happy Daze 8).

Chuffin amazing Rocker,

Where do you get all this info from?

5 minutes ago, Padders said:

Chuffin amazing Rocker,

Where do you get all this info from?

T'iss all in ma heed (some of it's on bits o' paper before I forget ), t'other bits are going in the book.

As much as I like my reading, that internet thing is bloody good for finding things.

Other than that, That end of town was our playground.

Derelict houses, new builds, things were happening, and we were out amongst it every day.

Unlike the last couple of decades where kids are too busy playing on their game boy / play station things, waiting for someone to bring their Chicken nuggets up to them - thats it! 'Rant' over :mad: :bigsmile:.

Can't remember if I bought my first (new) Leather jacket at the old Lewis Leathers shop or at the new one when they moved further up.

There you go, i'm off to psych my self up for tonight's edition of Corri 8).

Keep safe out there.