Stand Greave House, Woodhouse

Can anyone tell me where Stand Greave House is/was in Woodhouse, please?  Also, what kind of establishment it was.  The 1897 electoral roll lists my grandfather as living there but I have been unable to find out any information about it.  Thanks in advance for any help.

It was on an area of building land owned by the Stand Greave Freehold Land Society on Beighton Road.

Edited by sadbrewer

Thank you, sadbrewer.  Any idea what kind of place it was?  My grandfather was a teacher and I'm trying to find out where he taught.  The electoral roll also has him living on Beighton Road (Number 33) from 1908 to 1910.  Would that have been anywhere near Stand Greave house?

42 minutes ago, Jacboy said:

Thank you, sadbrewer.  Any idea what kind of place it was?  My grandfather was a teacher and I'm trying to find out where he taught.  The electoral roll also has him living on Beighton Road (Number 33) from 1908 to 1910.  Would that have been anywhere near Stand Greave house?

I'm not sure about that but the 1891 census suggests it would be one of the closest houses to the corner of Wolstenholme Rd and Beighton Road. Western House being the next house on the list.

Snap-2021-12-28-at-21-01-29.png

Oh wow!  I may not be getting anywhere with Stand Greave house itself, but you're really helping me to see that area more clearly.  My grandfather also lived on Wolstenholme Road and my father was born there.  Thank you so much.

2 hours ago, Jacboy said:

Oh wow!  I may not be getting anywhere with Stand Greave house itself, but you're really helping me to see that area more clearly.  My grandfather also lived on Wolstenholme Road and my father was born there.  Thank you so much.

what were their names, you never know they may pop up in the newspaper archives.

On 28/12/2021 at 19:35, Jacboy said:

Can anyone tell me where Stand Greave House is/was in Woodhouse, please?  Also, what kind of establishment it was.  The 1897 electoral roll lists my grandfather as living there but I have been unable to find out any information about it.  Thanks in advance for any help.

hi there, a couple of points. 1 have a look at freehold land societies on wikipedia. there is an explanation of what these were. 2 you may be able to access land and ownership records for stand greaves at woodhouse by contactimg archives at derbyshire records office a matlock. I would guess that as woodhouse was in derbyshire at that time you might be lucky. also if you have names check further census records.

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll follow them up.  My grandfather was John Matthew Thurston and my father was  Philip Leslie Thurston.  I knew my grandfather was a teacher and had been told that he was a Head teacher but I had no idea which schools he had taught at (apologies for the appalling grammar!!!)  I have discovered from the 1921 census that he was Head teacher at Council School, Woodhouse.  Would that have been what is now Woodhouse West Primary School?  If so, could anyone give me any information about its history.

Thanks again.

Wow, these are great!  Thanks, sadbrewer.  How did you find them?  They've never come up on any of my searches.  Am I missing a subscription to something???  From the dates in the second article, it would appear that he spent his whole career at Woodhouse Council/Endowed School (still don't know where it is/was!)

6 minutes ago, Jacboy said:

Wow, these are great!  Thanks, sadbrewer.  How did you find them?  They've never come up on any of my searches.  Am I missing a subscription to something???  From the dates in the second article, it would appear that he spent his whole career at Woodhouse Council/Endowed School (still don't know where it is/was!)

They came from The British Newspaper Archive

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

You can access it directly or as an add on from Findmypast

I find it absolutely brilliant, there is no guarantee your relatives will get a mention, but often when they do it will provide info you'll find nowhere else. It can be a little quirky sometimes, play about with spellings and terms used and you can often find things that don't come up immediately...you can search by newspaper/s and time periods and new publications are being added all the time.

Hi Jacboy, hope this helps. I was raised in Woodhouse from the late 50s and this is what I remember.

Woodhouse council school, later referred to as Woodhouse east was at the top of Station road on the left as you left Beighton road.

This is quite close to where your relative lived and makes sense to me as it's within easy walking distance.

The Endowed school room was in the middle of old Woodhouse, at the end of Waterslacks lane, which has long gone. It's location was close to where Sheffield road met Tannery  street on the opposite side to Stradbroke road. All redeveloped now.

Woodhouse scout troop,of which I was a member for a few years,met Friday nights at the Endowed schoolroom.

I have not been back to Woodhouse for a few years but there have been a lot of changes.