Wait Family Shoreham Street

Does anyone remember the Wait family who lived at 281 Shoreham Street (near the junction with Charlotte Road and John Street)?

They ran a hairdressing shop and lived on the premises. Fred and Nellie  had eight children. Frances, the eldest followed by Fred, Frank, Jack, Ernest, Harry, Leonard and finally Ada the youngest  who was born in 1914. Fred junior took over from his father and ran the hairdressers and trained Ada there. Frank along with his brother Harry were painters and decorators. Jack moved away to London. Ernest ran a barbers and fishing tackle shop on Chesterfield Road (near Scarsdale Rd junction). He was well known and liked, a real character. Still a fishing tackle shop today.  Today as far as we know, there are four cousins surviving (including myself). It would be wonderful if someone out there had some memories to pass on. Many thanks

Hi A J C,My Nephew is related to the waits you asked about,from Frances Ellin Wait who married who married Wilfred Wells at St Pauls(were the peace garden are now)There son was  Douglas Frederick  Wells and he married my sister and they had two children,Sorry i have not put there names but i have to speak to them to make sure its ok,I did get back a few generation with the Waits.Will send more when i spoken to them.

Hi A J C, I spoke with my nephew yesterday and he does remember going to Shoreham Street with his dad,he says he remembers Earnest,Frances and Nellie who he says was his grandmother,he also said that the person to speak to would be Gary who owned the fishing tackle shop ,you may be to get a phone number from Mark who is now at the fishing tackle shop.Hope this is some use to you,Let me know if not and i will see if i can help.

Hi A J C              A bit more info the Nelly i refered to was Nelly Wait nee Parkin Brn in Birmingham, Married to Frederick Wait.I have a little bit more Family History if thats your interest,Let me know.

I remember having my hair cut in Ernest's shop. I was sat in the chair and someone came into the tackle shop, he came back after serving the customer. There was a distinct smell of maggots coming from his hands as he continued with my trim🥴😁

hi  or-b-son

thankyou so much for your posts.

We are certainly talking about the same family here.

There are some family trees out there (some of which aren't very accurate)

I have spoken to one one of my cousins, who  has seen your reply and he is going to get in touch.

hi Melv

thankyou for your memories of my uncle Ernest.

I too remember the maggots and spent many happy hours with Ernest and his wife Betty. 

As a child, I lived on Holmhirst Road and visited them often.

Hi or-b-son,

Interesting to read your responses to my cousin's request for information/memories of the Wait family who lived on Shoreham Street.

It seems I have two cousins I have never met. My mother Nellie was Doug's sister and they all lived for a time at Shoreham Street.

I'm not sure when Doug got married, their children were born or when they were divorced. My Mum and Dad were married in 1947 and I was born in 1951 so I guess I was too young to understand what was happening and by the time I was, it was all water under the bridge by then. Your post didn't come as a complete surprise though because somewhere in the back of my mind the mention of the two children rang a bell, so someone must have said something but I can't remember what!

Doug was a colourful character - always working on some harebrained scheme or other which never seemed to come off - but he was always good to me. He would come to our house every other day for a month and then would disappear for 18 months and then re-appear as if nothing had happened. This was a pattern he repeated so often throughout his life it became a norm.

He lived at Shoreham Street when I was young and then for some years in Redcar where he worked as a pipe fitter I think on the oil rigs and also, I believe, for ICI. He was injured in an industrial accident whilst up there and never worked again. In the early 80's he lived in Bournemouth for a while and then moved back to Sheffield where he lived fairly close to me (when I lived in Oughtibridge) for two or three years before moving to Arbourthorne.

My Dad died in 1989 and my Mum in 1993 and Doug died sometime between them although I can't remember the exact year. 

My lasting memory of Doug would be a guy who never took life too seriously, always had some scheme going on but always had a smile on his face. That was his public face anyway - I suspect he led  a lonely life for quite a while.

It would be good if you could fill in some of the blanks regarding Doug's married life, his wife and children and their lives if possible but don't worry if you feel this is inappropriate.

Hi A J S, Nice to hear from you,Hope you can bear with me as i will need to talk with my nephew and send you you what he has said,I will wait till i get some more info and then send it to you,Rather than send little bits at a time.

Bye for Now OR-B-SON