Sign in to follow this  

Update Problems.

I have had update problems for a few yrs now, whenever my laptop needs updating  it takes forever and becomes almost impossible to use. I have noticed I never get the option to "Update and turn off" or "update and restart"  "update and sleep" whenever they are due. It just becomes impossible to use for days at times, and it's a hell of a job to get it to update. Doe's any one know what's going on, or how to fix it 

But what is it that needs 'updating'?

Most ant-spam/virus systems offer a premium self-updating version at a cost greater than the (often-free) basic version.

So is it the Microsoft stuff, then?

@pitsmoorboyAs Jeffrey has asked above what are you updating. Also, what M$ version are you running, and is your kit up to the job?

Unfortunately, I no longer run a current MS installation, but have had experience of other family members running W10 on old/underpowered machines, and this is exactly what they have reported. One trick which has slightly improved things is to clean out all the junk you no longer use, and give the machine a good defrag.

2 hours ago, pitsmoorboy said:

I have had update problems for a few yrs now, whenever my laptop needs updating  it takes forever and becomes almost impossible to use. I have noticed I never get the option to "Update and turn off" or "update and restart"  "update and sleep" whenever they are due. It just becomes impossible to use for days at times, and it's a hell of a job to get it to update. Doe's any one know what's going on, or how to fix it 

Best thing to do is to save your files onto a USB or a Hardrive or cloud and then do a factory reset

Most laptops have them now and it makes your laptop as good as new 

Edited by Jack Grey

23 hours ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

But what is it that needs 'updating'?

Most ant-spam/virus systems offer a premium self-updating version at a cost greater than the (often-free) basic version.

So is it the Microsoft stuff, then?

The updates are called "Cumulative updates" don't ask me what they are.

10 minutes ago, pitsmoorboy said:

The updates are called "Cumulative updates" don't ask me what they are.

Ah, so they are M$ updates.  See my comments at post #3 . How old is the machine you are using, and what is its spec?