Could Low Epc Mean Eviction?

If an Assured tenant or 1977 Rent Act tenant, discovers the landlord's EPC is grade 'E', meaning the property should not be let. Knowing this, could an unscrupulous landlord use this as grounds to evict the tenant, or would the landlord just be forced to bring the property up to a decent standard by the local council? 

An EPC grade of E does allow the property to be  let. It is only if the property is below E that it cannot be let.

The regulations don't provide any further grounds to allow tenants to be evicted,  but do provide that the landlord can be fined if they don't make improvements. The landlord can also apply for a number of exemptions (see here):  

Domestic private rented property: minimum energy efficiency standard - landlord guidance - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

I agree.

The grounds available for serving a s.8 Notice- NB: this  only seeks possession and is not an 'eviction notice'- are limited to those in Schedule 2 to the Act. See https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/50/schedule/2

Note the possible alternative of a s.21  ('no fault') Notice.

All of that assumes a Housing Act 1988 letting (AST or SAT). The Rent Act 1977 is quite different.

Finally, Shelter's website is often useful. See https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice

just a note,i always when in private rent ,kept my name on council list,so if anything went wrong i had a back up,many do this until they have enough points to obtain a decent property ,in the area they want.but also keep a update of the annual renewal,most areas 10 years for a house.