Little London Place In The Blitz

Good morning trastrick. Are you referring to Primrose View ? Wen I worra lad I wandered all round there and Primrose View is the only location I remember that you could access the cinema from Broadfield Road. There was a shop at the bottom from where we bought whatever we fancied after leaving Heeley Baths.

Posted the above message before reading Rockers rule reply !

Edited by Runningman

2 hours ago, Runningman said:

Good morning trastrick. Are you referring to Primrose View ? Wen I worra lad I wandered all round there and Primrose View is the only location I remember that you could access the cinema from Broadfield Road. There was a shop at the bottom from where we bought whatever we fancied after leaving Heeley Baths.

Posted the above message before reading Rockers rule reply !

No probs Runningman - it's not a race :bigsmile:!

One of our old neighbours at Highfields used to live in one of those terrace houses when she was younger.

I remember the queue for the pictures being that long it occasionally stretched down the side and up the gennel at the back. 

While we're talking gennels and steps, my Aunty lived on Springwood Rd at Heeley.

On our way to Meersbrook park we walked on Gregory Rd, dog leg up Maxey Place and followed Nicholson Rd into the corner & down the long flight of steps that lead down to Shirebrook Rd.

That's the good thing with Google maps, instant access to places you've either forgotten or want to see how places have changed over the years. 

Keep safe out there 8).

We always knew the steps from Nicholson Rd to Shirebrook Rd as "the 49 steps".

I don't know whether there actually were 49 but I should do because I had ample opportunity to count them because my daily paper round for Hudson's  &  Staley's on Forster Rd took me down there.

They were also our shortcut to Meersbrook Park when we were smaller.

Thank RR!

Yep, I think there were a few steps at the top!

Just now, Organgrinder said:

I don't know whether there actually were 49 but I should do because I had ample opportunity to count them because my daily paper round for Hudson's  &  Staley's on Forster Rd took me down there.

We lived in Carter Place off Nicholson Place. Only way to get to Meersbrook Park from there was down those steps. We counted them many times, but there was an argument what counted as a step at the top or bottom, can't remember which.

But we referred to as the 48 steps, not to be confused with the "39 Steps" book.

All the way down on the right was what looked like "bomb buildings", as we used to call them.

Looking at Rockers Blitz Map there is a dot very close to where the steps are.

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Thank you Organgrinder 49 steps rings a bell. 

43 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Thank RR!

Yep, I think there were a few steps at the top!

Long time ago trastrick, you could well be right.

I counted myself lucky to remember the advertising hoardings just after the houses.

Think the most famous Sheffield Gennel's have to be 'Skelli's bridge' & the 'Blue bridge' at Granville St / Turner St. 

Keep safe out there 8).

We used to meet outside Staley's at 6:30 pm when "we were courting", summat else they dunt do now, courting that is.

We  well remember Skelli's Bridge and Primrose Walk where we walked up from Meersbrook/Heeley to go the Abbeydale on Saturday night.

Mr. Duffems had to finish his paper round first though, usually on't last minute because o't Green'uns! First on his round was 1 Court 1 Cambridge Road, he delivered for Colleys on Planatation Road, always covered in ink was old man Colley!

Does anyone remember Totter Bridge Terrace?

Regards,

Duffems

Edited by DUFFEMS