Little London Place In The Blitz

I have had an enquiry from a pal in New Zealand, a Sheffield lad who was born on Little London Place.

He is wanting to know if there are any books with photos of the location after the blitz of 1940

I haven't yet had the chance to browse in either my local library or one of the book shops in town.

11 hours ago, Runningman said:

I have had an enquiry from a pal in New Zealand, a Sheffield lad who was born on Little London Place.

He is wanting to know if there are any books with photos of the location after the blitz of 1940

I haven't yet had the chance to browse in either my local library or one of the book shops in town.

Hello Runningman.

Simple search on't internet - probably later than your friend is after (but certainly later than the blitz).

See the source image

See the source image

I've had a look on Google maps and the only thing still  recognisable, are, believe it or not , the cobbles are still there :bigsmile:.

Hope the above helps.

Keep safe Rocker 8).

try the link below.

As mentioned the cobbles are still there.

Little London Pl - Google Maps 

(come on Runningman, i'm sure one would loosen up - make a nice pressi for your mate in NZ 🎅) :bigsmile:.

Keep safe 8).

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Good evening Rockers rule,  Alextopman and Jim Hardie

Thanks for your replies

I had seen those photos myself, but of course as you state they are after the Blitz

Going to have to get some more clarification from my pal, I presumed he was saying the road suffered bomb damage

If so, then those houses have been well repaired !

Edited by Runningman

1 hour ago, Runningman said:

Good evening Rockers rule,  Alextopman and Jim Hardie

Thanks for your replies

I had seen those photos myself, but of course as you state they are after the Blitz

Going to have to get some more clarification from my pal, I presumed he was saying the road suffered bomb damage

If so, then those houses have been well repaired !

The only other pic I can find is this from Little London Rd, from the raid on the 8th of the 5th 1941.

See the source image

23 hours ago, Rockers rule said:

The only other pic I can find is this from Little London Rd, from the raid on the 8th of the 5th 1941.

See the source image

Good evening Rocker rule and thanks. Wasn't aware that the city suffered more air raids after December 1940

Presumably this would have been an isolated hit !

Good evening Rockers rule. I have that map in one of my books.  Close to where my parents were on the night of the Blitz, a bomb fell on properties on Fieldhead Road at Highfields. Mom who was sheltering in the house cellar with my elder brother said how the house shook. Dad was on fire watch duty with other lads. What a job that was, not knowing if you would be blown away.

On 23/12/2021 at 16:51, Jim Hardie said:

post-188-1220901379.jpg

Great map, Jim

I was trying to find the gennel and steps we used to use to get up to the Abbeydale Cinema, from Broadfield Rd.

Anybody remember?

21 minutes ago, trastrick said:

Great map, Jim

I was trying to find the gennel and steps we used to use to get up to the Abbeydale Cinema, from Broadfield Rd.

Anybody remember?

That's an easy one Trastrick.

Past the Milk carton dispensing machine outside the Express Dairy (spit - us Co-op lads rivals :hihi:) & up the gennel between the houses.

The gennel is simply marked down as 'Primrose' on Google maps.

Haven't been down that way for a long time. nice to see the Dairy building revitalised. The houses have gone at the btm of the gennel (did it have steps? thought it was just a sloping path). Quick flash back the gennel had advertising hoardings on the righthand side going up on the waste land after the row of houses. 

300 Broadfield Rd - Google Maps 

and from the other end.

25 Hale St - Google Maps

Keep safe Rocker 8).