Doro Mobile Phones

Bit of a long shot but someone here might have some experience, the phone forums don't seem to have much discussion around Doro.

My mum's last two phones have been Doro, the first a flip phone and now a Doro 8035 smartphone. This offers an old version of Android with an adapted UI to make it more user friendly. That's become less reliable until now it won't power on so I'm looking at something to replace it. The obvious choice would be a Doro 8080 as it's more modern and retains the Doro UI customisation. The phone itself has been around for at least 2 years so the spec is uninspiring.

Has anyone any experience and suggestions? Personally I would like to swap it for a current budget Android from Motorola or the like. It'll have a better spec but the learning curve may be a challenge, particularly as my mum is in the north of Scotland.

1 hour ago, chipfork said:

Bit of a long shot but someone here might have some experience, the phone forums don't seem to have much discussion around Doro.

My mum's last two phones have been Doro, the first a flip phone and now a Doro 8035 smartphone. This offers an old version of Android with an adapted UI to make it more user friendly. That's become less reliable until now it won't power on so I'm looking at something to replace it. The obvious choice would be a Doro 8080 as it's more modern and retains the Doro UI customisation. The phone itself has been around for at least 2 years so the spec is uninspiring.

Has anyone any experience and suggestions? Personally I would like to swap it for a current budget Android from Motorola or the like. It'll have a better spec but the learning curve may be a challenge, particularly as my mum is in the north of Scotland.

I dumped my Doro for a google phone ,easy to use and brilliant camera , It wa a used one from Ebay about three years old but out performs our kids fancy spec ones every time .

Thanks cuttsie. I was looking at a Pixel 3a or 4 or a Moto which offer better specs that the Doro 8080 which seems to be their current flasgship.

The only challenge is the learning curve for the new menus so it may mean a lot of video calls.

We had a Doro Liberto for the same reason as you. Not being familiar with Android I didn’t find it straightforward. The user couldn’t get on with it and reverted back to the old clam shell Doro. IMHO you can’t go wrong with an  iPhone. The screen can easily be configured  to display just what is needed eg contacts, phone, messages and perhaps FaceTime.  There are plenty of cheap, used iPhones to be had. 

Edited by Jomie

3 hours ago, Jomie said:

We had a Doro Liberto for the same reason as you. Not being familiar with Android I didn’t find it straightforward. The user couldn’t get on with it and reverted back to the old clam shell Doro. IMHO you can’t go wrong with an  iPhone. The screen can easily be configured  to display just what is needed eg contacts, phone, messages and perhaps FaceTime.  There are plenty of cheap, used iPhones to be had. 

I was surprised how well she made the jump from the Doro clam shell to Doro smartphone so a smallish step to a generic Android phone seems the way forward. Android is easy enough to use, particularly if it's calls, texts, camera and the odd email.

I made the jump from Apple iOS to Android some years ago and think Android is by far the best solution for her. There's much more choice, particularly if you want a new phone on a budget. Also, she's familiar with Android, to some degree, with the Doro 8035.