Why Are Gps Paid More Than Electricians?

1 hour ago, SheffieldBricky said:

University is a doddle, taking everything into consideration, yes. It's basically reading, talking and remembering stuff. At the end they're very well paid, its a job for life and a good number.

At one time people were selected for University on ability. Only the cleverest people could go, but they came from all walks of life because University education was free (in fact the University paid the students a grant.) It was hard to get in, and hard to pass the exams, but it almost guaranteed you a good career in the field you were interested in. Only about 5% of people went to University.

Now virtually anyone can get into University as long as they're prepared to pay the fees. It's now a money making business enterprise, rather than a bastion of academic excellence, and about 50% of people go.

To accommodate the excess students we now have so called 'Micky Mouse' degrees, poor quality with little academic rigour, and little hope of securing a good job, but they bring in the dosh. Many young people who don't know what they want to do are prepared to take on just about any subject just to get a degree that will be of no use to them, but they think it has more kudos than an apprenticeship.

Ironically, as a consequence, more 'ordinary' jobs now require degrees, not necessary but because they can, however this is not reflected in the pay and excludes many capable people without degrees who would arguably be more capable of doing it. 

Edited by Anna B

28 minutes ago, Anna B said:

At one time people were selected for University on ability. Only the cleverest people could go, but they came from all walks of life because University education was free (in fact the University paid the students a grant.) It was hard to get in, and hard to pass the exams, but it almost guaranteed you a good career in the field you were interested in. Only about 5% of people went to University.

Now virtually anyone can get into University as long as they're prepared to pay the fees. It's now a money making business enterprise, rather than a bastion of academic excellence, and about 50% of people go.

To accommodate the excess students we now have so called 'Micky Mouse' degrees, poor quality with little academic rigour, and little hope of securing a good job, but they bring in the dosh. Many young people who don't know what they want to do are prepared to take on just about any subject just to get a degree that will be of no use to them, but they think it has more kudos than an apprenticeship.

Ironically, as a consequence, more 'ordinary' jobs now require degrees, not necessary but because they can, however this is not reflected in the pay and excludes many capable people without degrees who would arguably be more capable of doing it. 

I wonder if we reclassified trades as degrees would that be the way forward.

A trade takes as long as a degree to learn  in some cases.

Degrees in subjects which need the cleverest people to qualify in and are in subjects necessary to the country could be given additional recognition.

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

What's your degree in?

Not been answered yet...

56 minutes ago, sibon said:

He has a B.Sh.T in FaceBook studies, from the University of Youtube.

Or, was that the other way round? I forget.

Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned

12 minutes ago, lindylou53 said:

Not been answered yet...

I'm not telling you.

The whole point of this was to make the point that doctors aren't special they're all privileged people. It may be difficult to become a doctor but once there what a job they have.

1 hour ago, sibon said:

He has a B.Sh.T in FaceBook studies, from the University of Youtube.

Or, was that the other way round? I forget.

And was a contestant on Universally Challenged

42 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

I'm not telling you.

The whole point of this was to make the point that doctors aren't special they're all privileged people. It may be difficult to become a doctor but once there what a job they have.

So you think we shouldn't look after people that help save lives? 

As much as I'd love to get paid the same as a doctor and have enough money to comfortably retire at 60, sadly my job doesn't hold the same importance and therefore the same pay or benefits

44 minutes ago, SheffieldBricky said:

I'm not telling you.

I know two GP's.  Neither came from any sort of privileged background. Neither thinks they are special. Just ordinary people living their life, just like you. Why the enormous chip on your shoulder

1 hour ago, SheffieldBricky said:

I'm not telling you.

Oh dear, run out of BS to post have we.  If in doubt resort to the childish answers eh? 

Well come on then, you are the one who raised these insulting ill-informed generalisations as to how easy these so called middle-class, privileged, white collar graduates have it. It was clearly so good to lure you away from your salt of the earth, undervaled, harder work, real world job to join the elitists.

Let's see the goods then -  what exactly did you graduate in?  Advanced astrophysics? Biogenetics? Economics? Politics? or did you pay  $9.99 online to obtain a masters in trolling from the University of Helmets.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Typical mob attack by the usual suspects.  

I'm surprised at the responses though.

Not surprised that the comments were made, but surprised that you assume I care what you think 🤣

These days it’s all about how much you earn, great artists of yesteryear used to produce masterpieces that nowadays cost millions, just to put food on the table and wine in the glass. Maybe pay differentials have widened so much that the amount that you’re paid makes you what you are perceived to be, the problem with this is when you start to believe it.