Registration Campaign - Cyclists /E-Scooters

In the absence of compulsory civil liability insurance in the UK (AFAIK), it’s a good idea.

It would certainly facilitate insurance claims against cyclists and e-riders (-at fault) involved in RTCs with a vehicle or a pedestrian.

I’ve had damage to my car recently, because a bloke on an e-scooter, riding alongside on the pavement, decided to cross the road on zebras at speed (10-ish mph) just in front of me. In one smooth motion, no slowdown or even a look (pedestrians on zebras have absolute priority here in any and all circumstances). Lucky for him I’d seen him and had anticipated the possibility of the manoeuvre, so was already pootling at 20-ish mph and had time to stop (strong but not emergency-strong by far). Unlucky for me, the bloke trailing me in the Amarok (*with* winch, naked/uncovered) and riding my bumper a few meters away, probably because I wasn’t doing 30, hadn’t. Sure, that guy was at fault, and his insurer has had to cough up over €2k for a new bumper and fitting…but then, that bloke on the e-scooter caused it in the first place, by acting like a 10-ish mph ‘pedestrian’.

Edited by L00b

17 hours ago, bassett one said:

we have loads of the illegal scooters,they are not allowed only on private land,but i even saw a nurse on one with a backpack, its a disgrace,but its the same as the 20mph on estates ect,all may be law, but whats the point if we dont enforce it,  we will of course when someone gets injured or worse by these illegal scooters,its like parking they park fully on footpaths,on the corner of junctions,but the police just drive past,again the law cannot be enforced,because the police are to busy,its these crimes that sometimes lead to bigger crimes as often youths believe its easy to just get away with crime,total disgrace.

The town where I live you can rent an e scooter by the minute. They are a menace, being used by kids, I've even see 2 adults and a kid on one scooter. Sooner they are removed the better. Its £1 to hire them and 10p a minute thereafter. They are also a hazard to partially sighted people who could easily trip over them on the footpaths.

Edited by sedith
typo

3 hours ago, pintor said:

Just come back from the supermarket, on the way home traffic coming in opposite direction was being held up by a guy on his bike trundling along in middle of his lane, must have been 40/50 cars behind wanting to pass him, guess there's no law on it,  but surely he's aware of this and maybe pull over and let them through? 

More likely doesnt give a toss, after all hes on a bike

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

when i ride to work, i'm held up by cars, literally hundreds of them, barely moving - less than walking pace.

they should get out of the way?

I thought the standard practice in such circumstances is to thrap it down the pavement??

Maybe all the comments about enforcing the current regulations would be solved by taking away the responsibility to enforce such regulations from the police and pass it on to the council who could keep the fines generated

6 minutes ago, alchemist said:

Maybe all the comments about enforcing the current regulations would be solved by taking away the responsibility to enforce such regulations from the police and pass it on to the council who could keep the fines generated

Hmmm... :huh:

Now that really would be worth seeing...

... turkeys voting for Christmas! :hihi:

2 hours ago, sedith said:

The town where I live you can rent an e scooter by the minute. They are a menace, being used by kids, I've even see 2 adults and a kid on one scooter. Sooner they are removed the better. Its £1 to hire them and 10p a minute thereafter. They are also a hazard to partially sighted people who could easily trip over them on the footpaths.

We had the Ofo bike scheme that was abandoned after about 6 months. Too many were vandalised or thrown into rivers 

In the end they were only being used by drug dealers anyway

Edited by Jack Grey

Yawn....same old claptrap. Cyclists this, cyclists that. I'm a cyclist, couldn't care less what car drivers think of me, they are generally sat in traffic whilst I'm faster and fitter. I ride within the law, use lights when required, and will never ever have any sort of reg plate on my bike, because it will never happen. I use a cycle lane if it's any use, most aren't so why should I.

Just for reference, I also drive. The two things aren't mutually exclusive.

Edited by Bargepole23

7 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

It's not about how difficult it is...

... it's the fact that many cyclists are of a breed that don't like to conform to rules.

They like to go where they like and do as they please without fear of being 'identified' should they inadvertently break the rules that apply to the rest of us...

... while at the same time, preaching to us that they are saving the World, and it's the rest of us who are at fault.

What they don't seem to realise is that one day, when their lycra leggings no longer fit, and they have reached an age where it becomes increasingly difficult to get your leg over (the crossbar, obviously) they too will have to find alternative transport.

Maybe then they'll see just how selfish some of them have become... :roll:

Its riding a bike that keeps some of us going well into old age , my pal Syd Wilson , (Wilson Cycles ) is still riding and racing at 92 , Another old timer Ernest Mills was 87 before he decided to get the bus to town , he did it once then got the bike out again .

And why is Nick Freeman @MrLoophole fuelling hatred of cyclists and lumping them in with emotive issues associated with e-scoters?

Because his latest client Frank Lampard was caught driving whilst holding a phone by a cyclist who uses a camera for his own protection.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10272427/Frank-Lampard-caught-driving-coffee-mobile-phone-claims-cyclist-activist-Mike-Van-Erp.html

You muppets!

You don't know when you are being used.

11 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

... it's the fact that many cyclists are of a breed that don't like to conform to rules.

They like to go where they like and do as they please without fear of being 'identified' should they inadvertently break the rules that apply to the rest of us...

... while at the same time, preaching to us that they are saving the World, and it's the rest of us who are at fault.

What they don't seem to realise is that one day, when their lycra leggings no longer fit, and they have reached an age where it becomes increasingly difficult to get your leg over (the crossbar, obviously) they too will have to find alternative transport.

Wow. You know that most of us are just regular people, riding for pleasure, sport or transport. Not trying to save the planet, not selfish, not hurting anyone.

If you want to see selfish, have a look at those cars parked, engines running, outside schools. Parked on pavements, forcing people into the road. Parked in bus lanes, causing chaos. Belching fumes, whinging because they can't park directly outside their destination, whinging about too much traffic. The world bends to the will of the motorist, and you still whine and suggest other road users are selfish.

Anyway, I'll carry riding my bike, to work, with mates, past all those sat fuming at me in their cars with a smile on my face.

20 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

Who says you can't ride when you're older?  Exercise is the magic pill for a long healthspan you know...

Also, check out research led by Professor Normal Lazarus, on older Audax riders.

10 hours ago, Bargepole23 said:

Wow. You know that most of us are just regular people, riding for pleasure, sport or transport. Not trying to save the planet, not selfish, not hurting anyone.

If you want to see selfish, have a look at those cars parked, engines running, outside schools. Parked on pavements, forcing people into the road. Parked in bus lanes, causing chaos. Belching fumes, whinging because they can't park directly outside their destination, whinging about too much traffic. The world bends to the will of the motorist, and you still whine and suggest other road users are selfish.

Anyway, I'll carry riding my bike, to work, with mates, past all those sat fuming at me in their cars with a smile on my face.

Bang on the nail