Fiat 500 Cooling Fan Issue Or Not

you can't even spell, it's advice.

1 minute ago, fools said:

you can't even spell, it's advice.

And I'm sure your grammar is perfect.  Are you a grammar expert too?  Wow 

Interesting that you didn't pick apart the other answers, or even mention that it's normal for the fan to come on in traffic, as you would expect from a seasoned spanner monkey.

Nope your instant response was to point to the air-conditioning system being the cause of heat,,, in the middle of winter. I haven't used mine since July.

10 minutes ago, fools said:

Interesting that you didn't pick apart the other answers, or even mention that it's normal for the fan to come on in traffic, as you would expect from a seasoned spanner monkey.

Nope your instant response was to point to the air-conditioning system being the cause of heat,,, in the middle of winter. I haven't used mine since July.

Ever heard of climate control? Ever seen cars with the A/C button permanently on without the driver even knowing on cars without climate control? You know, when you was on the shop floor carrying out diagnostics as to why fuel consumption was low or the engine sounded more noisy  than last week and the heater doesn't seem as hot? Come on fools, educate this spanner monkey.  

Just as a side note, Hans-solo asks every now and then for advise and I always try to keep it as basic as possible, mainly giving them things they can try themselves before paying a garage. Is that a bad thing?

Edited by Dardandec
Spacing, and didn't want to get done for typo.

7 minutes ago, Dardandec said:

Ever heard of climate control? Ever seen cars with the A/C button permanently on without the driver even knowing on cars without climate control? You know, when you was on the shop floor carrying out diagnostics as to why fuel consumption was low or the engine sounded more noisy  than last week and the heater doesn't seem as hot? Come on fools, educate this spanner monkey.  

Just as a side note, Hans-solo asks every now and then for advise and I always try to keep it as basic as possible, mainly giving them things they can try themselves before paying a garage. Is that a bad thing?

Second side note, I never said A/C was the cause of heat, I said it was a cause of the fan kicking in.

Edited by Dardandec

Your competency test question.

A customer comes in, middle of winter, and says his radiator fan seems to come on when stuck in traffic

Do you say:

A) That's normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

B) It's your aircon that needs re-gassing, that will be £200. (you are not on commission)

C) Book it in for a diagnostic, £65 plus vat.

D) I'm time served, don't ya know.

19 minutes ago, fools said:

Your competency test question.

A customer comes in, middle of winter, and says his radiator fan seems to come on when stuck in traffic

Do you say:

A) That's normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

B) It's your aircon that needs re-gassing, that will be £200. (you are not on commission)

C) Book it in for a diagnostic, £65 plus vat.

D) I'm time served, don't ya know.

I'll answer these when you answer post #10 

If the op hadn't mentioned aircon, I doubt anyone would have. Confirmation bias in action.

I went for the most probable explanation given the information we have, you went for an obscure one. You could have made your point without the insults.

You know that saying, never go to bed on an argument....... Goodnight, lets leave it there.

Edited by fools

Look you pair of keyboard warriors, you’ve ruined this thread, there are other folk on this forum, just in case you have forgotten. :huh:

On 19/12/2021 at 00:46, fools said:

Perfectly normal. When you're in traffic, there is no airflow to cool the radiator down, that's why cars have fans, to stop the engine overheating when stationary. It should switch off after a minute or two.

Nothing to do with aircon.

Its not normal at all.  The fan shouldn't come on sat in regular traffic, unless its the middle of summer and you're stood for 10-15 minutes. It didn't leave the factory like that. 

With age, coolant breaks down and contaminates all the cooling system with rust from the inside. This means the water won't get the full radiator flow cooling as the core fins will have a layer on rust on them and as a result will never cool enough.
Coolant should be changed every two years. A radiator has a lifespan of ten years.

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Its not normal at all.  The fan shouldn't come on sat in regular traffic, unless its the middle of summer and you're stood for 10-15 minutes. It didn't leave the factory like that. 

With age, coolant breaks down and contaminates all the cooling system with rust from the inside. This means the water won't get the full radiator flow cooling as the core fins will have a layer on rust on them and as a result will never cool enough.
Coolant should be changed every two years. A radiator has a lifespan of ten years.

I've booked car in at a garage having thermostat and waterpump and coolant flush done least it's 3 things less to try