Fiat 500 Cooling Fan Issue Or Not

Anyone got a fiat 500 my fan comes on in traffic all the time coolant is topped up heater works aircons fine had it checked for leaks just wondered if it's normal its a 2014 1.2 petrol any help apprdciated

Could be a faulty thermostat, only circa £25.00 and easy to access, good luck.

Agree, faulty thermostat or dodgy relays.  If you can access the relays which control the fan, disconnect and spray with lots of electrical contact cleaner.

The cooling fan will kick in when the air-conditioning kicks in. Does the cooling fan kick in and stay on when in traffic? Try it with the air-conditioning turned off and see if it does it.  If the air-conditioning and hence the fan are permanently running and not kicking in and out is a sign there is insufficient gas in the air-conditioning system as it is struggling to cool the cabin. It knows this because there is a little temperature probe in the evaporator (The cold bit of an A/C system) called a thermistor.

Perfectly normal. When you're in traffic, there is no airflow to cool the radiator down, that's why cars have fans, to stop the engine overheating when stationary. It should switch off after a minute or two.

Nothing to do with aircon.

Edited by fools

10 hours ago, fools said:

Perfectly normal. When you're in traffic, there is no airflow to cool the radiator down, that's why cars have fans, to stop the engine overheating when stationary. It should switch off after a minute or two.

This is 100% spot on, however, during colder months the assisted cooling side of the engine is less prominent than in warmer months.

The assisted cooling system on a car is shared with the air-conditioning system. My advice to Hans-solo was to eliminate the A/C from the equation because this is the most likely trigger of the assisted cooling system. This is due to the condenser (The hot part of the A/C system) being smack bang in front of the engine cooling radiator.

"Nothing to do with aircon." This statement shows you are lacking knowledge/experience on how car cooling systems work. Or trolling.

Didn't even mention your post, and I get a defensive/aggressive response accusing me of ignorance and trolling. Who is the troll now? Perhaps you're spending too much time on forums?  (Note: the first post contains the word aircon, it's not in yours).

If I wanted to pick your posts apart, I could have done, it makes little sense - It's winter, 4C outside.

Edited by fools

22 minutes ago, fools said:

If I wanted to pick your posts apart, I could have done, it makes little sense - It's winter, 4C outside.

Knock yourself out, Anything you are struggling with ill try and explain it better.

As I Said "Nothing to do with aircon." This statement shows you are lacking knowledge/experience on how car's work. Or trolling.  Slightly altered to reflect your response.

You are spending too much time on internet forums aren't you.

The statement shows nothing of the sort.

Now trot along and insult someone else.

5 hours ago, fools said:

You are spending too much time on internet forums aren't you.

The statement shows nothing of the sort.

Now trot along and insult someone else.

You don't know anything about me or what I do.

What I do know about you is you know very little about cars. What mechanic qualifications do you have and to what level? How much shop floor experience do you have? Are you time served? What duties were you expected to do during your time on the shop floor? Are you fully skilled? Master mechanic?  MOT tester? Auto electrician trained, qualified, time served? High voltage trained/qualified time served?   

If not, wind your neck in and go and insult other peoples intelligence.

lol - You are losing it over a comment not even directed at you. Bit insecure don't you think.

I was thinking earlier of all the times I've had the do you know who I am response, from someone who thinks they know it all, and go off on one when challenged. It's quite a long list. Lots of very amusing real life interactions from people who have a poor grasp of logic, or are useless at their job. Some even had white coats.

Now go away and be rude to someone else.

Edited by fools

1 minute ago, fools said:

lol - You are losing it over a comment not even directed at you.

I was thinking earlier of all the times I've had the do you know who I am response, from someone who thinks they know it all, and go off on one when challenged. It's quite a long list. Lots of very amusing real life interactions from people who have a poor grasp of logic.

Now go away and be rude to someone else.

And you need to come back on these threads when you know what you are on about, instead of thinking you know it all because you once changed your oil and filter. People post on these threads for genuine advise which could save them money in the long run. If you want to post misinformation find your way to the Covid thread, I'm pretty sure they will welcome you there.