Root Canal Vs Tooth Extraction

I have a problem tooth, and considering either root canal or extraction.

What’s the deal with root canal, dentist says tooth will be dead, how does it feel? If you’ve had a root canal, what’s your experience been like, what’s it like living with a tooth, post root canal?

Thanks!

I have had a root canal.

Feels like they are digging a hole to Australia.

But seriously less unpleasant than that rough drill for fillings.

Keep the tooth been in 25 years no troubles at all.

I've had a few root canals. The tooth didn't feel any different afterwards than before - just felt like a normal tooth.

I've had 2 root canals. At the second one the dentist said that as the tooth/nerves were dead i wouldn't need an anaesthetic but that she would test this first!!! She was right-didn't feel a thing-but boy was i apprehensive😬

as above I have had one root canal a molar, no problem.

I just had 2 done. No big problem apart from the time it takes and the odd cover they now fit (must be a new thing)

I was very annoyed that she said (after the second one) that the first she did, the tooth would have to be removed! Both teeth are next to each other. What was the point in doing it in the first place if it needed extracting!! I'm thinking a second opinion may be needed on this one. I just got the feeling she made a mistake, or couldn't be bothered to do it properly.

So the quick answer. Root canal takes a long time but OK. Extraction is much quicker.

After a root canal, the comment earlier is right. They don't need to numb it to do any repair work...Quite scary the first time they drill without an injection to numb first!

I had one in a tooth with deep decay. The young dentist I saw wasn’t overly optimistic about it working but I really didn’t want an extraction. Anyway it did work, although it’s time consuming there was some achey pain after the first procedure which lasted a few days. But it was definitely worth it long term and it’s still fine 4 years later. I pretty sure if I’d seen the older dentist and owner of practice he would have just yanked it out like he did with another tooth without much explanation if there was alternative.  I’m so pleased I left that practice, as my experience at a new dentists has been much better.