Sheffield Made 316 Stainless Steel?

Is anyone in Sheffield still producing high quality 3mm 316 stainless steel that can be polished to a true mirror finish?

11 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

Sheffield doesn't manufacture stainless steel any more

That is an incorrect statement. Even if it wasn't, there are plenty of steel stockholders around who would supply it.

57 minutes ago, DuddersS1 said:

Is anyone in Sheffield still producing high quality 3mm 316 stainless steel that can be polished to a true mirror finish?

I know one of the best mirror polishers in Sheffield but unfortunately age and health have caught up with him

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

That is an incorrect statement. Even if it wasn't, there are plenty of steel stockholders around who would supply it.

I am just going on what a guy who used to work for BS, then Avesta Sheffield, told me a few months ago - that after the merger between the Sheffield, Swedish and Finnish stainless steel manufacturers, the manufacturing was eventually consolidated in Finland and and the Sheffield and Swedish facilites were shut down. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but some details would be nice.

Also, the the title of the thread was "Sheffield Made", not "who in Sheffield stocks SS?".

Just now, dave_the_m said:

I am just going on what a guy who used to work for BS, then Avesta Sheffield, told me a few months ago - that after the merger between the Sheffield, Swedish and Finnish stainless steel manufacturers, the manufacturing was eventually consolidated in Finland and and the Sheffield and Swedish facilites were shut down. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but some details would be nice.

Also, the the title of the thread was "Sheffield Made", not "who in Sheffield stocks SS?".

That 'guy' was probably, although I don't follow the industry like I used to, following retirement, talking about the old BS setup. I know ELG Carrs make stainless in many grades, and unless they too have withdrawn from the market, Sheffield Forgemasters and ATI still make it, but in much larger quantities than you or I would ever need it.

If you only want small quantities, you would go to a stockholder anyway.

I have no special knowledge, but...

Forgemasters do still make stainless steel of various kinds.

https://www.sheffieldforgemasters.com/capabilities/steel-grades

But I don't see 316 listed.

ATI make it:

https://www.atimetals.com/Products/ati-316

But according to the documentation, they make it in Pittsburgh.

ATI don't give much detail for their non-US facilities, but in any case both they and Forgemasters wouldn't sell direct to Joe Public.

On 14/12/2021 at 12:40, dave_the_m said:

Sheffield still produces thousands of tonnes of Steel every year, they just don't need 2000+ people to run the lines anymore. Companies such as ATI Allvac and others are still going strong.

As for the OP's enquiry, for a small quantity try these guys - https://www.westyorkssteel.com/

Outokumpu on Shepcote Lane still produces Stainless Steel of most grades,but I think only then converts to long products.

See their stockholding division,for Outokumpu produced sheet/plate but it will come from Finland. 

Try Daver Steels 

Edited by hackey lad