Time To Offend My Natives.

2 minutes ago, butlers said:

Worse type of nostalgia is the markets.Long long past thier best

There used to be a thread on here just before the markets got demolished. It was called 'Leave our Markets Alone'. 

Why? Because their granny got their pickled eggs and a tray of seafood from there 60 years ago!

18 hours ago, cmonkes said:

I am Sheffield born and bred, I wouldn't ever change that. I am proud of my roots, along with those of my forefathers. 

However I am now fortunate to have lived in various Cities throughout the UK in my employment.... and well, the city has become very much easy to forget!...

Decades behind every other city! Nothing at all to offer in town itself!..... even culture, the thing we prided ourselves out in recent years, it's all taken a hit.

Attack me you wish, the city is very much on it's backside and may as well have the new branding of 'Sheffield - nothing to see here'.

Obviously never been to Hull.

6 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

When was the last time you actually visited? What specific is so lacking compared to cities? What's your thoughts on the masses of redevelopment, changes of purpose, investment and evolution which is happening in sections such as West Bar, High Street and Charter Square?

Whats happening on High Street ?

I think we have to listen to people like cmonkes who can give a different point of view. 

We might all love Sheffield, but we also know it's not perfect. 

If criticism is valid surely if it gives the council an opportunity to do something about it. (Stop laughing, I know, I can't believe I wrote that either, but I live in hope...) 

57 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I think we have to listen to people like cmonkes who can give a different point of view. 

We might all love Sheffield, but we also know it's not perfect. 

If criticism is valid surely if it gives the council an opportunity to do something about it. (Stop laughing, I know, I can't believe I wrote that either, but I live in hope...) 

You live in Hope ?

22 hours ago, AndrewC said:

I don't think the discussion at hand is confined to just the last year or so of leadership.

I defend some aspects of Sheffield city centre - things are never quite as bad as so many people constantly like to suggest on here; many tens of thousands of people use and enjoy Sheffield city centre every day for living, working, leisure, etc. - but it does clearly lag behind it's peers, and that is in no small part thanks to often being mismanaged by the local leadership over the last few decades, and that does include some years under Lib Dem rule.

Yes, I shouldn't have called Sheffield city centre a disaster but we do lag behind our Northern peers such as Liverpool, Manchester and L**ds.

When the credit crunch hit us (was it really nearly a decade and a half ago now? I swear it feels like we're still suffering the effects today), the other major cities were winding down their building projects and Sheffield was just getting started . . . and what did we get out of it?  St Pauls Tower (almost) and Velocity Towers (only just).

Now I know L**ds is far ahead of us and we'll never catch up (even though we'll never admit that) but Liverpool started from a similarly wretched position in the 1990s and even their city centre is far ahead of Sheffield.

Whoever runs Sheffield city council is too petty to admit their mistakes and instead opts for petty and political point scoring between the Labs and the Libs, instead of grabbing the city by the ears and pulling it forward.

And with a London-centric Evil Tory government in charge, I don't expect things to improve anytime soon.  The best I can hope for is that they don't get considerably worse.  I really don't further cuts to include monthly black bin collections to 'harmonise' with the blue and brown bins.

Wow, that was cathartic.

Thank you all for reading.

1 hour ago, The Joker said:

Yes, I shouldn't have called Sheffield city centre a disaster but we do lag behind our Northern peers such as Liverpool, Manchester and L**ds.

Is part of the problem that we try to compare ourselves against nearby cities which are far bigger in population terms than we are.

Both Leeds and Manchester City Regions are around double the population of Sheffield City Region (ie South Yorkshire)

These much larger population centres are understandably more attractive to inward investors. I’d think that our close proximity to both of these places does us no favours as a lot of investment will go to a bigger place.

In terms of transport funding, which generally comes from the government, it is normally handed out on a population basis, so Leeds and Manchester get much more money and have more / bigger schemes.

Liverpool city region is closer to us in population terms, so might be a more valid comparison, but do they have advantages that we don’t have?

Good, strong leadership is a factor in my view. In recent years, Greater Manchester have had strong leadership, a vision of where they are aiming to be and a plan of how they will get there. Leeds hasn’t been as strong as that in my view, but they now have quite a high profile city region mayor. What’s our vision and plan?

People cherry pick - you get people saying scc  is full of wrong uns and spice heads but no one mentions when you walk out of Manchester Piccadilly of an evening and are met with the full cast of Shaun of the dead stretching 100’s yards down the road.

Edited by makapaka

This isn't a new subject by any means.  When I first moved to Manchester over 20 years ago I was amazed at the difference, especially with shops staying open until 7pm or 8pm most weekdays. 

In Sheffield they're hoovering the carpets at 4.30 and want you gone so they can get the lights out and the doors locked by 5pm.

Whenever I used to sing the praises of another town back then on here you'd always get the same stock answers - "If you love xxx so much why don't you live there?" and "Why are you on here if you don't live in Sheffield any more?"  Nothing worse than burying your head in the sand!

But, Sheffield has got a lot better, but maybe not for locals.  There's certainly a lot more tourist guides and articles singing the praises of Sheffield now compared to 20 years ago, especially for city breaks.

The alt city guide to Sheffield

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/10/sheffield-alternative-city-guide-music-culture-food-drink

10 great British city breaks for both culture and outdoor fun

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2021/may/22/10-best-city-breaks-britain-uk-for-culture-outdoor-fun

11 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Is part of the problem that we try to compare ourselves against nearby cities which are far bigger in population terms than we are.

Both Leeds and Manchester City Regions are around double the population of Sheffield City Region (ie South Yorkshire)

These much larger population centres are understandably more attractive to inward investors. I’d think that our close proximity to both of these places does us no favours as a lot of investment will go to a bigger place.

All good points.

Bradford is happy to be joined at the hip with L**ds and even towns such as Salford and the godawful Burnley and proud of their close association with Manchester.

What do we have in the Sheffield city region?  The ten-bob millionaire wifeswappers of Dronefield have made it quite clear they do not want closer links to Sheffield and South Yorkshire, and I'm half-expecting that before too long, Doncaster will attempt to redraw the boundaries and join L**ds in West Yorkshire.

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Liverpool city region is closer to us in population terms, so might be a more valid comparison, but do they have advantages that we don’t have?

Liverpool exploited its riverside location; the regeneration programme has turned the docks into a desirable location to visit, shop and live.

Sheffield could do something similar with our proximity to the Peak District . . . ideally before Manchester does.

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Good, strong leadership is a factor in my view. In recent years, Greater Manchester have had strong leadership, a vision of where they are aiming to be and a plan of how they will get there. Leeds hasn’t been as strong as that in my view, but they now have quite a high profile city region mayor. What’s our vision and plan?

Here's a list of what Sheffield city council has done over the last couple of decades:

• Sell the airport for £1 and block an investigation into why
  • Invest tens of £millions in a failed broadband scheme
  • Chop down the city's trees and arrest anybody who complains (that made the national headlines . . . for all the wrong reasons)
  • Move to fortnightly black bin collections, and
  • Move to monthly brown and blue bin collections

Although I will never, ever vote for an Evil Tory councillor or MP, I honestly don't think an Evil Tory council could do much worse through sheer incompetence alone . . . greed and malicousness maybe, but not incompetence.