Fare Increase For Black Cabs

13 hours ago, sheffbag said:

I have no knowledge of the black cab industry but a figure of £10 an hour would indicate that you are making (at best) 2 journeys an hour?

That's correct.obviously December maybe different but, just go to a taxi rank And see how long it takes for the last cab to get to the front of the rank.Follow an empty cab through the city centre and see how few flag downs he gets.He could possibly get more by joining a radio system but,that would entail £100 per week radio rent.It really is a poor man's job these'last 15 years.

5 hours ago, rayggb said:

That's correct.obviously December maybe different but, just go to a taxi rank And see how long it takes for the last cab to get to the front of the rank.Follow an empty cab through the city centre and see how few flag downs he gets.He could possibly get more by joining a radio system but,that would entail £100 per week radio rent.It really is a poor man's job these'last 15 years.

As a see quite a few taxi drivers driving around in brand new, high end, Mercs/Beemers/Rebadged Toyotas (Lexus) I somehow doubt that. Maybe you're just doing it wrong. 

9 hours ago, Resident said:

As a see quite a few taxi drivers driving around in brand new, high end, Mercs/Beemers/Rebadged Toyotas (Lexus) I somehow doubt that. Maybe you're just doing it wrong. 

You are talking about private hire cars,not Taxis.They will have paid £20k for the super dooper ones.That is a third of an electric /hybrid black cab.Yes resident maybe I should go onto private hire and pay at least £100 a week radio rent ,.but,then I would be beholden to a company(their jobs) and my regular  wheelchair customers would be left in the lerch.At the last count(2 month ago) black cabs have reduced from 857 to 610, I am sure it is less now.Our only options is to give up or go onto private. Council's throughout the land are pricing us out of the Hackney carriage Business.