Fare Increase For Black Cabs

The council and government are insisting that we go green which means buying £50K-£60K  cabs, which means £800-£900  per month for 5 years.Are  you Joe public willing to pay extra ?. For those who say they will just use private hire cars ,then I would state they are not cheap to buy either  for a hybrid or electric so their fares will have to go up too.

theres several problems in lots of trades, with  drivers in big demand ,special wage deals offered by some companys to entice drivers, plus the electric hybrid , cars that need to come in to replace the old many diesel vehicles, help via  training for more drivers, especially those unemployed,  plus help via the goverment to buy the vehicles, if the goverment want changes they need to help , plus if they help those unemployed with driving lessons to do taxi driving and HGV ect,they would gain millions back in tax ect.

19 hours ago, rayggb said:

The council and government are insisting that we go green which means buying £50K-£60K  cabs, which means £800-£900  per month for 5 years.Are  you Joe public willing to pay extra ?. For those who say they will just use private hire cars ,then I would state they are not cheap to buy either  for a hybrid or electric so their fares will have to go up too.

This council couldn’t run a tap, I’d hate to run a business that these clowns had a hand in, they know nothing about business.

An increase of £5 per fare in a black cab incoming according to the local news this morning.

Dressed up as a fee to combat the cost of a black cab driving through the Clean Air Zone, even if your journey goes nowhere near the City Centre ?

On 11/12/2021 at 16:56, rayggb said:

I stopped using them years ago because they rarely know where to go and need constant directions.

Uber is much better because they use sat navs, though that would not matter if black cab drivers used them too (or memorised the roads as is done for london cabbies).

I have to say I have some sympathy with black cab drivers asking for a fares increase - they are facing higher operating costs and are often cheaper than private hire cars now*. In return I would ask they move with the times and accept card payment, not just cash.

* example from a few weekends ago - from City Centre to S17

-  Uber was on surge pricing and quoted £32

- Bolt was on surge pricing and quoted £24

- Network had no cars in the area

- City taxis was on weekend pricing and quoted £16 

- Black cab was £12.10.

Incidentally whilst app based private hire is great as the system sends your destination and route to the drivers sat-nav, touch wood I've never had problems in black cabs - even if I'm quite drunk I generally treat the driver with respect and make clear my destination and preferred route.

Edited by Andy C

21 hours ago, darylslinn said:

An increase of £5 per fare in a black cab incoming according to the local news this morning.

Dressed up as a fee to combat the cost of a black cab driving through the Clean Air Zone, even if your journey goes nowhere near the City Centre ?

But the fee for black cabs, that don't meet the requirements of Euro6 (diesel) is only £10 daily & there are a number of E6 cabs & electric ones, Are those ones going to waive the increase as they won't be paying the charge? 

Are you telling me that black cab drivers go home after the 2nd fare? Because otherwise £5 per fare is ridiculous. 

An increase of £1-1.50 would be easier to swallow for joe public.

Edited by Resident

I personally proposed £5 extra per trip.Yes it is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous but,so is the council's push for us to buy £60k cabs = £900 per month before any other costs.We are probably on £10 per hour before costs equating to probably £7 in actual earnings.Anyway don't worry the council has postponed the meeting which would have considered the 3 proposals.

On 18/12/2021 at 22:00, rayggb said:

I personally proposed £5 extra per trip.Yes it is ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous but,so is the council's push for us to buy £60k cabs = £900 per month before any other costs.We are probably on £10 per hour before costs equating to probably £7 in actual earnings.Anyway don't worry the council has postponed the meeting which would have considered the 3 proposals.

Do you only have your cabs for 5 years? Seems like a very short lifespan for that type of vehicle. Would seem more sensible to use them for at least 10 years, £450 a month is much more manageable. 

Do black cabs qualify for HMRC annual investment allowance at 100%?

On 20/12/2021 at 12:39, scottf said:

Do you only have your cabs for 5 years? Seems like a very short lifespan for that type of vehicle. Would seem more sensible to use them for at least 10 years, £450 a month is much more manageable. 

In Sheffield we are allowed to keep them until they are 15 years old.In London they mayor has just reduced that to 14 and then only 12 years old.sheffieldinvariably follows suite (always wanted to be London).So even if we could afford the £60k cabs the council will probably follow London.Owning a black cab is a very expensive business (always was).If the money was there like it use to be then it may be a different story but,alas it is not. £7 profit per hour does not = being able to afford £900 a month plus other expenses.

I have no knowledge of the black cab industry but a figure of £10 an hour would indicate that you are making (at best) 2 journeys an hour?