Who Should Replace Boris Johnson?

I agree about Ken Clarke at PMQ,  even Heseltine -  old,  experienced warhorses, 

in the Lords now though.

Edited by cressida

5 minutes ago, cressida said:

I agree about Ken Clarke at PMQ,  even Heseltine -  old,  experienced warhorses

Can't stand Heseltine, but Ken Clarke certainly has the gravitas. However I was under the impression they had retired.

1 hour ago, PRESLEY said:

We need a strong Woman to run this country, Ena Sharples, Hilda Hogden types spring to mind,  that is what this country needs to get it back on track. :hihi:

Angela Thornberry? 

Boris Johnson says he has "seen no evidence" of blackmail in his party:  ref BBC.

Why on earth would anyone believe him?

Maybe we're ready for a different type of governance. 

Not FPTP

More cooperation, less confrontation. 

Working together for the common good in a global economy.

Strong leadership which is respected rather than despised, (Angela Merkel)

Representative of and In touch with ordinary people.

An elected second house, with useful, experienced, learned people.

A suitable modern workplace not beset with tradition and privilege.

3 hours ago, Anna B said:

Maybe we're ready for a different type of governance. 

Not FPTP

More cooperation, less confrontation. 

Working together for the common good in a global economy.

Strong leadership which is respected rather than despised, (Angela Merkel)

Representative of and In touch with ordinary people.

An elected second house, with useful, experienced, learned people.

A suitable modern workplace not beset with tradition and privilege.

It already is a suitable modern workplace.  It employs thousands in offices all over the city and wider UK.   The Chamber is just a tiny, but most interesting, part of the process and that's what gets focused on.  Its the same way as the visually archaic court room is just a tiny speck of the legal world.  

All these easy armchair statements about reform are well and good but there are obvious flaws.

Who actually gets to be that strong leader?  What then stops them dominating and pushing their own agenda and agendas of their privileged followers and yes men........just like now.   Human nature chooses sides and loyalty is open to reward no matter what system.  

Who then decides exactly what is deemed common good. Good for whom?   A government can't give the people everything they want nor let business and corporations have free ride.  There has to be a balance so who gets precedence?   How does that  then play out on the global stage where we are always going to be in competition no matter how much we as an individual nation try to reform - countries like China and emerging nations certainly won't share.  

Then, what makes so called 'ordinary' people.  Jobs, background, income level, qualifications.  Putting aside that so called "real world" down to earth lifestyle does not magically equal advanced skills required to run the country, how does one differentiate what is real word experience.  Catch  all stereotypes like "wealthy" for example could mean very different things to someone living/working near Burnley with a £50k salary and comfortable 4 bed house when compared to someone on £50k in Belgravia, strugggling to pay rent for their micro-bedsit with shared bathroom.   

There are 650 elected representatives in the House of Commons and we cannot get so distracted by the few headliners.  Reform is one thing which I agree should be regularly considered but let's not sell it like its some magical transforming victory for the working classes.   Let's not continually belittle the educated and well paid as some evil scurge on society which seems to frequently be the underlying agenda being pushed.

Quite frankly, I want educated, experienced, qualified people in charge.  What I don't want is Bob the bus driver who knows nothing about anything playing politician.

Angela Rayner has given an example of a politician with the common touch and boy does she live up to it.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

47 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Quite frankly, I want educated, experienced, qualified people in charge

But without ethics and honesty  you end up with Boris.

On 19/01/2022 at 17:18, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Liz Truss?

I look at Liz Truss and think Prime Minister in the same way as I look at Jacob Rees Mogg and think prop forward for Hull Kingston Rovers.

2 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

I look at Liz Truss and think ....

So funny that the ad that is appearing next to your post (for me) is for varifocals! 😜

Edited by cgksheff

On 20/01/2022 at 16:33, ECCOnoob said:

It already is a suitable modern workplace.  It employs thousands in offices all over the city and wider UK.   The Chamber is just a tiny, but most interesting, part of the process and that's what gets focused on.  Its the same way as the visually archaic court room is just a tiny speck of the legal world.  

All these easy armchair statements about reform are well and good but there are obvious flaws.

Who actually gets to be that strong leader?  What then stops them dominating and pushing their own agenda and agendas of their privileged followers and yes men........just like now.   Human nature chooses sides and loyalty is open to reward no matter what system.  

Who then decides exactly what is deemed common good. Good for whom?   A government can't give the people everything they want nor let business and corporations have free ride.  There has to be a balance so who gets precedence?   How does that  then play out on the global stage where we are always going to be in competition no matter how much we as an individual nation try to reform - countries like China and emerging nations certainly won't share.  

Then, what makes so called 'ordinary' people.  Jobs, background, income level, qualifications.  Putting aside that so called "real world" down to earth lifestyle does not magically equal advanced skills required to run the country, how does one differentiate what is real word experience.  Catch  all stereotypes like "wealthy" for example could mean very different things to someone living/working near Burnley with a £50k salary and comfortable 4 bed house when compared to someone on £50k in Belgravia, strugggling to pay rent for their micro-bedsit with shared bathroom.   

There are 650 elected representatives in the House of Commons and we cannot get so distracted by the few headliners.  Reform is one thing which I agree should be regularly considered but let's not sell it like its some magical transforming victory for the working classes.   Let's not continually belittle the educated and well paid as some evil scurge on society which seems to frequently be the underlying agenda being pushed.

Quite frankly, I want educated, experienced, qualified people in charge.  What I don't want is Bob the bus driver who knows nothing about anything playing politician.

Angela Rayner has given an example of a politician with the common touch and boy does she live up to it.  

Bob the bus driver probably knows more about public transport than Boris ever will.

I'm not a fan of our Angela, but you've got to give her some credit for clawing her way to the top of the political tree against all the odds. It can't have been easy, and shows a whole lot grit and determination.

Many commentators make the point that the Tory party won’t get rid of Boris because there’s no suitable successor or perhaps no one who can pull the wool over the electorates’ eyes as easily.  

7 hours ago, catmiss said:

Many commentators make the point that the Tory party won’t get rid of Boris because there’s no suitable successor or perhaps no one who can pull the wool over the electorates’ eyes as easily.  

Did Boris pulled the wool over your eyes?

Edited by Jack Grey

16 hours ago, catmiss said:

Certainly no suitable alternative either.  Not with Starmer in charge.  I can't see what purpose he serves.  I have never heard him say anything useful or constructive he only ever seems to slag people off.