Who Should Replace Boris Johnson?

8 minutes ago, Delbow said:

This is so obviously untrue. People like Rees-Mogg's parents spend £30k per term on sending their kids to places like Eton precisely because it gives them a massive advantage in life. Otherwise they wouldn't do it. That's not 'making your own luck'

maybe they do and so what if they can, its a tiny percentage of successful people that go to eton and the like, in fact i am sure there is a bursary system for eton as well.

Eton College is an independent boarding school for boys aged 13-18 founded by King Henry VI in 1440 in the parish of Eton, near Windsor, England. As one of England’s oldest and most prestigious boarding schools, it’s had the honour of educating multiple prime ministers, world leaders, Nobel laureates, and many aristocratic members of societies both past and present.

Owing to its world-class reputation, Eton College has grown from educating 70 pupils at its time of erection to up to 1,313 students in 2019. Eton-educated pupils have historically invoked the reputation of Eton College to achieve careers in positions of leadership, such as in politics. Its reputation still holds to this day, although it’s now accessible to all boys regardless of background.

Entry to Eton is competitive and thus only boys with high potential may be awarded a place. Aristocratic or privileged backgrounds are no longer necessary requirements for entry. An increasing number of pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds are now able to apply and receive funding.

I assúme Ms. Josephs was offered the  (not easy)  job because SCC were confident she had the skills and experience to fulfil the task. So are we now suggesting that she has her contract paid up and SCC search for someone with an impeccable personal behaviour record, but second best qualifications? 

Who would you rather have running the show in S1? 

History has plenty of examples of people who were very effective at their job, but had aspects of their non-job life which could be 'difficult'.

John F Kennedy is fondly remembered as a wonderful US president, but his extra-marital sexual antics were legendary.  If he were here now he would be elected by a landslide. 

Some of the partying in London (why is it always London?....) got out of hand, especially during a time of national mourning, but to castigate everybody is perhaps unwise. 

If Ms. Josephs fails in her job at running the city, then I will join in the torchlight procession to the town hall gates. 

I am reminded of the anecdote concerning the late Alan Clark, who was something of a roue, when being interviewed for Consevative candidate at a general election. One lady on the panel asked if he had any skeletons in his closet. He replied -" madam, they struggle to close the door...."  He ws selected, and won the seat. 

Edited by Cyclecar
Spelling

18 hours ago, Delbow said:

With Daddy's money

The wife and I bought our son a property, because we could afford to and he couldn’t, should he have refused it. When all’s said and done he just got part of what he would get on our demise.

11 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The wife and I bought our son a property, because we could afford to and he couldn’t, should he have refused it. When all’s said and done he just got part of what he would get on our demise.

I'm not saying Rees-Mogg is thick, he's clearly not. I'm just pointing out that although he conforms to what a lot of people think makes someone very intelligent - the accent, the Eton and Oxbridge education, the use of Latin and more complex English - it doesn't mean he is exceptionally bright. With the right upbringing, it's possible to create that impression when the foundations are shaky. His grasp of history is clearly not very good, and yet he takes it upon himself to write a history book. That level of self-confidence, allied to a privileged background (which tends to give people the self-confidence in the first place) can take someone a lot further than is justified by their actual ability. A perfect example of that is, of course, Boris Johnson, who has been found out by a lot of people in his life, and is now being found out by the British public (well, those who are a bit behind the rest of us, who found him out long ago).

Edited by Delbow

23 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm not saying Rees-Mogg is thick, he's clearly not. I'm just pointing out that although he conforms to what a lot of people think makes someone very intelligent - the accent, the Eton and Oxbridge education, the use of Latin and more complex English - it doesn't mean he is exceptionally bright. With the right upbringing, it's possible to create that impression when the foundations are shaky. His grasp of history is clearly not very good, and yet he takes it upon himself to write a history book. That level of self-confidence, allied to a privileged background (which tends to give people the self-confidence in the first place) can take someone a lot further than is justified by their actual ability. A perfect example of that is, of course, Boris Johnson, who has been found out by a lot of people in his life, and is now being found out by the British public (well, those who are a bit behind the rest of us, who found him out long ago).

A late acquaintance of mine turned himself into the person that he wanted to be, he’d seen his elder brother do it, however he never made much money, but he sounded as though he came from money, not a council house in Thornbridge. He died in debt but managed to fill the Abbey Lane chapel with folk that could buy and sell him, it was then that it clicked, he didn’t need to have a lot of money, he just loved being close to those that had it, he had convinced himself that I was way down the wealth barrel, I never contradicted him.

Edited by crookesey

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

Its every thing to do with birth and class , that is how the Country is run from top to bottom . 

Many of the  celebs on TV are silver spooners who have been to the right schools or have the top contacts . Its a fact just open your eyes 

like i said its the luck of the draw the whole of humanity is the haves and have nots, it can never change its how the country world works if everyone had everything the system would collapse, you do see that dont you???

just because one is luckier than another is not unfair its called life!

29 minutes ago, Delbow said:

he clearly is not thick as you rightly say and hes clever enough to turn his weaknesses into strengths, i dont judge people on how they look or speak its their actions that speak volumes, plenty of billionaires that are not privately or eton educated that come from nothing, Jimmy Heseldene,(RIP) Mike Ashley, Pimlico plumbers founder Charlie Mullins etc etc.

as for the book i have no idea but to even write a book is a challenge in its self, maybe the researchers got it wrong/ it happens to the best authors i am sure.

as for Boris being found out well thats just your sides opinion and you are entitled to it , watch Bois stay for some time to come and more good for this country, he completed brexit  tick, hes got us to be the country with the least problem with covid, even though i disagreed with the lockdowns and as soon as there is a bigger news story this old story of parties at no 10 will fade away.

At the risk of repeating myself, why do Labour supporters wish Bojo to be replaced as PM, when he is obviously not having the best of times, surely they should want him to stay in place?

1 minute ago, crookesey said:

At the risk of repeating myself, why do Labour supporters wish Bojo to be replaced as PM, when he is obviously not having the best of times, surely they should want him to stay in place?

Because he is a Tory. Simple as that .

20 minutes ago, crookesey said:

The only place he should stay in,  is a small  dark room or in a Circus  🤡

7 minutes ago, West 77 said:

Labour supporters know that the Labour party have a better chance of doing better at the next general election if Boris is not leading the Tory party.  Keir Starmer also knows this.

Well from reading Labour posts I didn’t see it that way, this is crediting them with having more upstairs than I credited them with.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

I’ve got a mate who lives in Australia and family in Ireland. When you hear what others think about us it’s clear that Johnson has done some serious damage to this country and its reputation and that’s why I want rid of the man. 

Edited by websters gue