Ssd Upgrade For Laptop

5 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Right here I go again. Is it possible for me to download W11 directly onto my Linux Lite by having a partition? Just to see what W11 is like.?

It is O.K I have had a look and I need the product key for my laptop. I don`t think it will be any good because this laptop was bought new with Vista on, so you can tell how old it is.

You can put Win 11 on old hardware but you need to do a few tricks (hacks of sorts) Plus it wouldn't really show you what Windows 11 can fully do. If it was me, I'd give that one a miss.

EDIT: Very odd. Your edit didn't show on the first page load. Not to worry, same end result.

Edited by zach

I decided to download and install w10 to the linux laptop but I cannot activate it because the code for the laptop  is for Vista. Is there any way around this without breaking the law or paying  £119-00 to Microsoft.

20 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I decided to download and install w10 to the linux laptop but I cannot activate it because the code for the laptop  is for Vista. Is there any way around this without breaking the law or paying  £119-00 to Microsoft.

If you search round on the internet you'll get a legal copy of Win 10 Pro for much less. Most are OEM, so have to be used on a clean install (which you have done) They can't be used on upgrades in most cases.

I've used this site for the odd game. I've not had any issues with them but they aren't the cheapest on OS software (IMO)  HERE

EDIT: I noticed you just said Win 10. If it's the home version, I'd download and install Pro. While installing, just tick the box 'I don't have a key' and finish the install.

Edited by zach

I did click the I don`t have a key and it installed O.K but I cannot use any M/S services. I will have a look at the site you posted a little later.

Just now, Kidorry said:

I did click the I don`t have a key and it installed O.K but I cannot use any M/S services. I will have a look at the site you posted a little later.

Until Windows is activated, you can't personalise or access other parts of the OS. It's worth remembering, an OEM copy can ONLY be used on one PC. If you use the key on your laptop, it won't work on any other system. You'd need to buy another copy if you ever wanted to do that.

If I bought the key from my desktop would it be O.K.to use on my laptop or must I order it through my laptop? I installed w10 home will the w10 pro key still work?

Edited by Kidorry
added text

1 hour ago, Kidorry said:

If I bought the key from my desktop would it be O.K.to use on my laptop or must I order it through my laptop? I installed w10 home will the w10 pro key still work?

Q1 Yes. It doesn't matter which device you buy it on. It goes by the device you enter the key into.

Q2 No (must be the right version)

Do I buy the online activation key or the OEM?

3 hours ago, Kidorry said:

Do I buy the online activation key or the OEM?

With OEM keys like this, there's no sticker, no discs, just a code. Under 'Activation, you put the code in, let it talk to the Microsoft servers and away you go. Make 100% the code is right...copy/paste is good! It will put the dashes in for you.

And I totally missed the answer. An OEM activation key is just as it's worded. It usually comes via email. Then do the copy/paste bit when you're ready. OEM just means Original Equipment Manufacturer

Edited by zach

Cheers, will give it a go.

Got the code entered it and all is now working. Thanks a million for all your help.

Edited by Kidorry